The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And wasn't he projected to go much earlier than even our pick? So there was some kind of red flag with him. We weren't the only ones who passed on him. And the Kings even gave him only a year and a half, and he was playing like he could conceivably end up better than Fox. Yet they still traded him. Of course, that could be because the Kings front office are the worst in the NBA, but...

And there you go again.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think Chris Paul is that kind of player but I think he is sending a message to anyone listening.

IMO, there is a chemistry or coaching issue with the team.
Something doesn't mesh that's for sure. The players seem to like Ayton. Maybe he doesn't want to be here any longer. Maybe the lines of communication between Monty & Ayton are destroyed. Maybe the Suns figure that the center slot isn't all that important in today's game especially to the tune of a Max contract when they can get guys for $5M like McGee. And maybe the Suns as we know them are just to cheap to have a winning team. All muddy waters & maybes to us.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I would be happy if the Suns kept Smith. One less area of need.

We need something new to talk about. I'm so ready to talk about even a 2nd round pick.
New subject needed. Ayton is gone in all probability. Just hope the Suns negotiate a trade well and bring something back worth it. And that the Suns find that undiscovered undrafted rookie "Diamond in the Rough" they are always seeking for peanuts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New subject needed. Ayton is gone. Just hope the Suns negotiate a trade well and bring something back worth it. And that the Suns find that undiscovered undrafted rookie "Diamond in the Rough" they are always seeking for peanuts.
I think JJ's approach to improving an already effective team makes a lot of sense. But one of the costs of going that route is it removes any real possibility of us being the team that finds that hidden gem. Also, having sold out of the G League, we're not well equipped to develop that gem even if we find it.

It means we have to be better at scouting the league itself so that we have a chance of grabbing undervalued players that are already in the league or overseas. But I see no evidence of that so far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is arguing that he should have been the pick, but it's still being complained about and it's been 2 years. With no end in sight.
That’s because PGOTF still hasn’t been addressed… and it looks like there’s no plan to in sight. Once JJ takes care of that, Halliburton talk would fade, but until then, not getting him is going to be on an ongoing topic because it’s an ongoing problem.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we could have had Giannis instead of Alex Len. If we were dead set on Center that year though we could have had Gobert.

There's always misses in the draft, it happens. I can understand being upset for a short period of time but people need to move on. It can't be undone. You can hope it won't happen again but it does no good to bring up the error on a damn near daily basis. That's getting into 1Sun territory.
no one is getting even close to 1Sun territory. That’s total crap and just posted to inflame.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? You're complaining about a conversation we were having about Haliburton? Woops, I said it again. :rolleyes:

You're better than this Main.

These were your quotes from today about where you mentioned the name of said player.

I didn't make any about said player today except in a "spoiler."

And yes, that's at least four times you have mentioned his name today.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro says the Suns would likely match an offer sheet from Detroit.

It would take a third team to do a sign-and-trade trade with the Pistons.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
These were your quotes from today about where you mentioned the name of said player.

I didn't make any about said player today except in a "spoiler."

And yes, that's at least four times you have mentioned his name today.
So what? What does that have to do with anything? You still bring him up every other day, which is a lot more than I do.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro says the Suns would likely match an offer sheet from Detroit.

It would take a third team to do a sign-and-trade trade with the Pistons.

As soon as they traded Grant that became apparent. IMO, the Suns were going to get screwed regardless of a trade partner without a 3rd team anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as they traded Grant that became apparent. IMO, the Suns were going to get screwed regardless of a trade partner without a 3rd team anyway.

I was so afraid the Suns would be interested in Jerami Grant. I'm glad that option is gone.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At the end of the day this front office has in three years taken this team from a perennial loser —- to cute bubble story—to finals —-to best record in nba.

I’m gonna trust James Jones will do something to improve this team before next season and not worry about the **** he could have done.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see a clear pursuer of Ayton after the draft. Both Detroit and Charlotte got bigs. Maybe Atlanta or San Antonio?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't see a clear pursuer of Ayton after the draft. Both Detroit and Charlotte got bigs. Maybe Atlanta or San Antonio?
Still people insisting Detroit going for Ayton. I am thinking like you, they now have younger guys to build around. However, Ayton has 4 years of playing time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones insists Deandre Ayton is a huge part of the team.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
James Jones insists Deandre Ayton is a huge part of the team.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we sign Ayton to a max and then trade crappy expiring contracts for Collins or another good player?