The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucher says sources are telling him Ayton won't be back. He talks about many trade scenarios. One with Irving landing with the Mavs. Seems like all eyes are on Detroit for a landing spot for Ayton. Man...this better be a 3 way team deal or the Suns are going to get screwed while the Mavs who beat us could potentially get better.

Let's just deal directly with the Magic. I like their options better.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's just deal directly with the Magic. I like their options better.
Especially with Grant gone now from the Pistons. It would have to be a 3 team trade for the Suns to get anything close to value in return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially with Grant gone now from the Pistons. It would have to be a 3 team trade for the Suns to get anything close to value in return.

The Pistons might call the Suns bluff on Ayton and sign him to an offer sheet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a time for bluffing. Match it.

Are you confident James Jones would match it?

The Pistons have enough money to go after two large salary players so they can wait.

If the Suns match an offer to keep Ayton, they have to keep him for a designated period before trading him.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I am halfway with Hoop on this and you. I mean PG is 100% a point of need on this team. However, a Veteran PG. Not a rookie who won't contribute for a couple years. We are in win now mode. Having a young rookie PG wouldn't have helped us against the Mavs. I also doubt Monty plays a young player that much anyway.
The GM just said this.

He don't thinky any draft pick would impact winning (basically saying he would not have taken Booker or Giannis. He would not have waited for a 6.8 ppg to get to 29 ppg years later). They be productive if the played but what's the trade of.....enters the room all the lottery teams with productive draft picks who are losing. To Jones if you want rookies playing like that then you have to give up winning.

And if you not going to play your draft pick becsuse you in constant nt win mode (as you should be) then why bother (or waste a draft pick time or muck up their future). Why not trade them then see what they up to in 4 or 5 years.

So like you said, Jones & Monty aren't playing "any" rookie like that. It wasn't personal to Stix, it's just the 2020 draft afforded them the ability to finally implement their vision.

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Add me to that list, It was inexcusably stupid.
Yeah, I remember the board was losing it at that pick. We knew Paul’s age at the time of the pick, Halliburton would have helped immediately and also would have been the PG of the future versus Smith who was going to be more of a longer term prospect.

GMs can’t nail every pick, but I couldn’t understand the logic of not picking him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember the board was losing it at that pick. We knew Paul’s age at the time of the pick, Halliburton would have helped immediately and also would have been the PG of the future versus Smith who was going to be more of a longer term prospect.

GMs can’t nail every pick, but I couldn’t understand the logic of not picking him.
Nobody is arguing that he should have been the pick, but it's still being complained about and it's been 2 years. With no end in sight.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Nobody is arguing that he should have been the pick, but it's still being complained about and it's been 2 years. With no end in sight.
That’s fair but I think it still stings for a lot of people. Halliburton could have been the difference maker in the playoffs.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s fair but I think it still stings for a lot of people. Halliburton could have been the difference maker in the playoffs.

And we could have had Giannis instead of Alex Len. If we were dead set on Center that year though we could have had Gobert.

There's always misses in the draft, it happens. I can understand being upset for a short period of time but people need to move on. It can't be undone. You can hope it won't happen again but it does no good to bring up the error on a damn near daily basis. That's getting into 1Sun territory.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
And we could have had Giannis instead of Alex Len. If we were dead set on Center that year though we could have had Gobert.

There's always misses in the draft, it happens. I can understand being upset for a short period of time but people need to move on. It can't be undone. You can hope it won't happen again but it does no good to bring up the error on a damn near daily basis. That's getting into 1Sun territory.
That’s totally fair. But given the Suns were/are championship contenders, not taking a player of Halliburton’s caliber during this run is going to sting a bit more than usual.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s totally fair. But given the Suns were/are championship contenders, not taking a player of Halliburton’s caliber during this run is going to sting a bit more than usual.
The NCAA tournament and offseason were eliminated that year due to Covid-19. We couldn't get his medical records, we weren't allowed to interview him, we weren't allowed to work him out and his agent informed us that he would not play for us if we drafted him. Other teams such as the Spurs passed on him for the same reason.

We're all welcome to agree or disagree with that decision but I think people are going too far when they suggest over and over that it's almost criminal that we passed on him. We needed another player, not a holdout.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And wasn't he projected to go much earlier than even our pick? So there was some kind of red flag with him. We weren't the only ones who passed on him. And the Kings even gave him only a year and a half, and he was playing like he could conceivably end up better than Fox. Yet they still traded him. Of course, that could be because the Kings front office are the worst in the NBA, but...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why don't you discuss it with Chaplin. He has mentioned said player's name at least three times today?

I only mentioned it in a "spoiler" when trying to answer a question.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why don't you discuss it with Chaplin. He has mentioned said player's name at least three times today?

I only mentioned it in a "spoiler" when trying to answer a question.
Please. You've mentioned him a lot more than once today, and pretty much every day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose