The Ayton Plan

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is the Suns could offer Ayton the max this summer without all the supermax incentives that Luka received.

That would be insulting.

What’s the downside to offering incentives? Don’t you want him to become an all NBA caliber player? Those guys ain’t cheap

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not what I meant. So was Wilt. So was Unseld---all were good defenders. I'm talking about type. We don't need the offensive-go-to post up, we need an athletic guy who can rebound first, score second. Again, I don't think Jocic (as a type) would be a good fit here.

You pretty much just described Rudy Gobert.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say give him the incentives. More motivation for him while cp3 is still here and Book is in his prime.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be insulting.

What’s the downside to offering incentives? Don’t you want him to become an all NBA caliber player? Those guys ain’t cheap

The Suns could have offered Ayton the supermax type package that Luka received this past summer so I think it's more they don't want to pay him this much money.

Also no team can carry more than two supermax players. Devin Booker should become one.

The Suns still have to pay the other players on the team so that is a consideration.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns could have offered Ayton the supermax type package that Luka received this past summer so I think it's more they don't want to pay him this much money.

Also no team can carry more than two supermax players. Devin Booker should become one.

The Suns still have to pay the other players on the team so that is a consideration.

They didn’t even offer him the max.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They didn’t even offer him the max.
Technically they did for four years but not the full five. But then again, they never even started negotiating so who knows if the Suns would have been willing to go bigger? Ayton's agent didn't like the starting point and decided to not even sit at the table.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I recall there was no groundwork laid for negotiation. Ayton wanted the supermax and it was never on the table.

They made it clear they were only going up to 4 years. The 5th year was off the table and they didn’t offer any incentives

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the reasoning behind trading Ayton for Jokic.

Nikola is eligible to sign a five-year supermax extension this summer with the Nuggets with projections for around $263 million.

I'm not hearing he wants out of Denver.
Jokic is a great offensive player with his ability to make shots all over the court and get assists which makes him being a threat all game long but his defense lacks top tier production. He's a back to back MVP but in these two years the Suns made the Finals last year and now carry that taste & hunger for the chip with them this year and are still in the hunt whereas Jokic & guys like Townsend & Gobert are again watching from the comforts of their homes or vacationing early. I too don't understand the comparison with Ayton or even ifJokic is disgruntled and wants out of Denver. I believe he just got paid $245 for 5 years. So he's probably happy or should be with that kind of cash flow. We have Ayton and the Suns are still alive and kicking in the playoffs and the Pelicans series probably sharpened us more than anything else so hand clap to the Pelicans and I like what Ayton does for this team. He not perfect but neither is Jokic, Townsend, or Gobert. Ayton shot 10 for 12 from the field as CP3 shot 14 for 14 that's some kind efficiency in that close out game with the Pelicans. And he drew Jonas out from the basket to defend which Jonas did not want to do. I like to see Ayton bang a little more, get some better handles and catch the ball better all of which is possible. A while back everybody wanted to trade Ayton & boatload for the Wolve's Townsend. I wouldn't want Kat for Ayton straight up now but that's just me and I don't make the calls. I look forward to Ayton progressing and the Suns marching on in their quest for that 1st championship. So would I like to add a true rebounding power forward that could mesh with Ayton on the court for next year. But for now let's roll with Ayton and the league best record Suns as we need what 12 more wins? Go Suns!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jokic is a great offensive player with his ability to make shots all over the court and get assists which makes him being a threat all game long but his defense lacks top tier production. He's a back to back MVP but in these two years the Suns made the Finals last year and now carry that taste & hunger for the chip with them this year and are still in the hunt whereas Jokic & guys like Townsend & Gobert are again watching from the comforts of their homes or vacationing early. I too don't understand the comparison with Ayton or even ifJokic is disgruntled and wants out of Denver. I believe he just got paid $245 for 5 years. So he's probably happy or should be with that kind of cash flow. We have Ayton and the Suns are still alive and kicking in the playoffs and the Pelicans series probably sharpened us more than anything else so hand clap to the Pelicans and I like what Ayton does for this team. He not perfect but neither is Jokic, Townsend, or Gobert. Ayton shot 10 for 12 from the field as CP3 shot 14 for 14 that's some kind efficiency in that close out game with the Pelicans. And he drew Jonas out from the basket to defend which Jonas did not want to do. I like to see Ayton bang a little more, get some better handles and catch the ball better all of which is possible. A while back everybody wanted to trade Ayton & boatload for the Wolve's Townsend. I wouldn't want Kat for Ayton straight up now but that's just me and I don't make the calls. I look forward to Ayton progressing and the Suns marching on in their quest for that 1st championship. So would I like to add a true rebounding power forward that could mesh with Ayton on the court for next year. But for now let's roll with Ayton and the league best record Suns as we need what 12 more wins? Go Suns!!

Exactly. I have no interest in trading Ayton.

The only way it happens is if the Suns decide they don't want to wrap that much money in a player not named Devin Booker and want to invest the money in other players and settle for a role playing center. I hope this is not the Suns thinking. IMO, Ayton is already a star level player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They made it clear they were only going up to 4 years. The 5th year was off the table and they didn’t offer any incentives

I don't recall any years or details because the two sides never negotiated. Ayton wanted the supermax and that was never on the table.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't recall any years or details because the two sides never negotiated. Ayton wanted the supermax and that was never on the table.

They did meet and they did negotiate . They didn’t even offer the regular max at 5 years the super max wasn’t even on the table

Suns wanted a 4 or 3 year deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They did meet and they did negotiate . They didn’t even offer the regular max at 5 years the super max wasn’t even on the table

If you want to call it negotiations you can but Ayton's camp never budged off the 5 year max.

By Jake Anderson, Arizona Sports:

“For a multitude of reasons but ultimately when we looked at it from a team-building or roster construction standpoint, it just wasn’t our preference,” Jones said. “And we decided that that wasn’t something we wanted to do. That’s really what it came down to.”

“We had great discussions initially, he added. “We discussed a multitude of things but ultimately, a four-year deal, a three-year deal just wasn’t something that was an option. And it was five years and that’s it. So that’s pretty much where it ended.

“Like I said it’s unfortunate because it’s not reflective of our commitment, our desire to Deandre. It’s just at that point in time, we couldn’t come to an agreement.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think anyone who even entertained Ayton for KAT would laugh at that idea now.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Paragraph breaks would help readability

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I have no interest in trading Ayton.

The only way it happens is if the Suns decide they don't want to wrap that much money in a player not named Devin Booker and want to invest the money in other players and settle for a role playing center. I hope this is not the Suns thinking. IMO, Ayton is already a star level player.
This would be idiotic at this point. We’ve seen Ayton take pretty solid strides offensively again this season and we’re now looking at back to back post-seasons where he’s elevated his play from the regular season.

Those are the types of players who deserve MAX deals and incentives to reach even higher. Worst that can happen is he actually becomes the player worth those incentives… which means he’s one of the best in the league.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want to call it negotiations you can but Ayton's camp never budged off the 5 year max.

“For a multitude of reasons but ultimately when we looked at it from a team-building or roster construction standpoint, it just wasn’t our preference,” Jones said. “And we decided that that wasn’t something we wanted to do. That’s really what it came down to.”

“We had great discussions initially, he added. “We discussed a multitude of things but ultimately, a four-year deal, a three-year deal just wasn’t something that was an option. And it was five years and that’s it. So that’s pretty much where it ended.

“Like I said it’s unfortunate because it’s not reflective of our commitment, our desire to Deandre. It’s just at that point in time, we couldn’t come to an agreement.”

And they shouldn’t of

It’s still talks and negotiations

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score

A
Maybe just maybe Ayton can show the Suns organization & GM that they need to sign him by what he does during these playoffs run for the chip. I hope he works towards that goal and contributes along with the other talented players like Book, CP3, Mikal Bridges, JaVale McGee, & Cam Johnson as they try to win it all!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought they just had a phone call but maybe I'm misremembering. But I saw nothing in your linked story that suggested an actual meeting.

Regardless, as I recall the Suns claimed right away that they were willing to offer a max deal for either 3 or 4 years but Ayton's camp said the offer never came. JJ, after being challenged about it, then said the offer was never made because the Ayton camp wouldn't discuss anything other than a full 5 year max deal.

Myself, I think both positions were reasonable. It's obvious why Ayton would only want the 5 year Supermax. Reportedly, we didn't want the 5 year deal at the time because you can only have two players on the Designated Rookie Scale Extension. Giving him 5 years at this point though no longer carries that limitation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be idiotic at this point. We’ve seen Ayton take pretty solid strides offensively again this season and we’re now looking at back to back post-seasons where he’s elevated his play from the regular season.

Those are the types of players who deserve MAX deals and incentives to reach even higher. Worst that can happen is he actually becomes the player worth those incentives… which means he’s one of the best in the league.

I wanted the Suns to give Ayton the max (even the supermax) last summer but on the other side of the coin, I don't think the Suns can or want to give two players on the team the supermax. Booker will be getting the supermax soon enough.

I think the Suns will match any offer for Ayton which will be be for the max.

However, there is a difference between the max and supermax which is a higher level with bonuses. This is why the Suns let Ayton become a RFA because it would be less money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe just maybe Ayton can show the Suns organization & GM that they need to sign him by what he does during these playoffs run for the chip. I hope he works towards that goal and contributes along with the other talented players like Book, CP3, Mikal Bridges, JaVale McGee, & Cam Johnson as they try to win it all!

I thought Ayton proved himself worthy of the max last summer. The Suns will match any offer in restricted free agency. It's all about the money at this point.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted the Suns to give Ayton the max (even the supermax) last summer but on the other side of the coin, I don't think the Suns can or want to give two players on the team the supermax. Booker will be getting the supermax soon enough.

I think the Suns will match any offer for Ayton which will be be for the max.

However, there is a difference between the max and supermax which is a higher level with bonuses. This is why the Suns let Ayton become a RFA because it would be less money.

There are 3 Max’s right

Your rookie max, the Luka rookie max with incentives

The Max Booker is coming up on is the super max. It’s the max after the other max

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they just had a phone call but maybe I'm misremembering. But I saw nothing in your linked story that suggested an actual meeting.

Regardless, as I recall the Suns claimed right away that they were willing to offer a max deal for either 3 or 4 years but Ayton's camp said the offer never came. JJ, after being challenged about it, then said the offer was never made because the Ayton camp wouldn't discuss anything other than a full 5 year max deal.

Myself, I think both positions were reasonable. It's obvious why Ayton would only want the 5 year Supermax. Reportedly, we didn't want the 5 year deal at the time because you can only have two players on the Designated Rookie Scale Extension. Giving him 5 years at this point though no longer carries that limitation.

This is all I could find in regard to an actual meeting is this article discussing Ayton and Sarver having a drink at a restaurant.