The Ayton Plan

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
And Ayton doesn't yell AND ONE every time he goes to the basket which always pissed off the refs so DA has a huge advantage when it comes to technical fouls too.
And yet Amare regularly went to the line, Mr below the rim.... not so much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet Amare regularly went to the line, Mr below the rim.... not so much.
Yes he did but how many trips to the line did Amare cost himself and the team because he always pissed off the referees with that unnecessary AND ONE yell? And how many times did he get called for a technical because of it? I loved Amare and had it not been for injuries he would have been a lock for the HOF but even still, I'll take DA over him. Ayton isn't as exciting but his higher efficiency and defensive presence more than makes up for Amare's offense IMO.

It doesn't bother me much if a fiery player explodes (Barkley for example, who always was near the top in technicals each year) whether it's at an opponent or at a referee even though it will often lead to a technical. But that's part of playing with an attitude. But the arrogance of Stat to continue yelling AND ONE even though everybody watching the game knew it irritated the referees and subsequently cost us games, that's just too stupid for words.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
That seems to be changing if recent history is any indication.
He seems to be getting more comfortable handling the ball on those short rolls and attacking the rim. It's great that he's getting game reps on this, and while we should expect some growing pains out of this, it would open his game so much more to be able to competently take one or two dribbles and put pressure on the rim.

He's already doing a great job kicking out of these (Crowder in particular has been a beneficiary), next step is to draw contact and finish.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He seems to be getting more comfortable handling the ball on those short rolls and attacking the rim. It's great that he's getting game reps on this, and while we should expect some growing pains out of this, it would open his game so much more to be able to competently take one or two dribbles and put pressure on the rim.

He's already doing a great job kicking out of these (Crowder in particular has been a beneficiary), next step is to draw contact and finish.

That little spin move is becoming more and more effective on the roll too.

He’s definitely taken a step forward this year, as has Cam since those ugly first couple weeks. Shame Bridges hasn’t done the same.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

His passing and recognizing the double has gotten so much better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes he did but how many trips to the line did Amare cost himself and the team because he always pissed off the referees with that unnecessary AND ONE yell? And how many times did he get called for a technical because of it? I loved Amare and had it not been for injuries he would have been a lock for the HOF but even still, I'll take DA over him. Ayton isn't as exciting but his higher efficiency and defensive presence more than makes up for Amare's offense IMO.

It doesn't bother me much if a fiery player explodes (Barkley for example, who always was near the top in technicals each year) whether it's at an opponent or at a referee even though it will often lead to a technical. But that's part of playing with an attitude. But the arrogance of Stat to continue yelling AND ONE even though everybody watching the game knew it irritated the referees and subsequently cost us games, that's just too stupid for words.
I’m not sure it cost us games. I also don’t think you realize how prevalent it is in the league in general.

An interesting question is Ayton or preinjury amare? Amare may have not been as well rounded or two way as Ayton, but if he never got injured he may have eventually lead the league in scoring. He was an absolute force of nature. Sometimes those guys end up being more impactful despite their shortcomings.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not sure it cost us games. I also don’t think you realize how prevalent it is in the league in general.

An interesting question is Ayton or preinjury amare? Amare may have not been as well rounded or two way as Ayton, but if he never got injured he may have eventually lead the league in scoring. He was an absolute force of nature. Sometimes those guys end up being more impactful despite their shortcomings.

I don’t think he would of. His offensive game was pretty limited

Even his best year Kobe was still 10 points ahead of him to lead the league in scoring. 10 points is a huge gap

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting poll on Realgm. The question is "How good would the Suns team be if they had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton?"

Its a fascinating question because it brings up other questions.
How would Doncic and Booker have co-existed?
Would they have drafted Mikal if they had drafted Doncic?
Would they have pursued CP3 if Doncic was on the team?
Would CP3 want to come here if Doncic was here?
What would the Suns' defense look like with Doncic instead of CP3?

I think there is a very good chance that this team would NOT be nearly as good if they had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton. It's not because Ayton is better than Doncic but because of the path that they took as a result.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Interesting poll on Realgm. The question is "How good would the Suns team be if they had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton?"

I think there is a very good chance that this team would NOT be nearly as good if they had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton. It's not because Ayton is better than Doncic but because of the path that they took as a result.
Likely we would be very entertaining. Same as past years for the Suns, would still be looking for that big man presence to alter shots and rebound for us. Once Doncic got past us, no way Dallas was passing on him. The best scenario would have been for us what capital we had to a) take Doncic, then b) move back up to get Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s pretty incredible. At this point, the way the roster is constructed, Ayton is looking more and more like the right pick to contend, at least in the short-term. But solid prospects long-term as well if he keeps getting better.

Just like I said! :)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Doncic was on a mission in the bubble despite being injured. I'd imagine with him coming to the suns, he'd have more input into coaching and what players he wanted. Game recognize game as I don't think there would be an issue with him and Booker. Booker was and still is the type of guy who would want to improve his game, and he's done so as the years have gone. Some remember when cp3 came to the suns, Booker and CP3 went at it on the court, two highly competitive guys proving their game. Whos to say that Booker and Doncic wouldn't do the same for each other?

CP3 is pushing Booker and Ayton to become better players, especially Ayton. There are nights where cp3 gets on Ayton, when he starts to revert. How long will cp3 be here and will Ayton continue this level of play?

I think we had a better cast to support Doncic if we drafted him. We probably look towards Capela to play center.

I think if cp3 doesnt come to the suns its a close wash because there's no one to push ayton to get better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we had drafted Doncic instead of Ayton I think we probably wouldn't have Monty either as Koko's first year wouldn't have been so putrid. I also think we would have traded Booker at some point as Booker of a few years ago and Doncic would have been a horror show defensively.

IMO, we'd be about where Dallas is, a playoff contender searching for a way to pair Doncic with a good complimentary star.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i think i agree the team would most likely be worse off, because you just can’t underestimate how much influence Chris Paul has had on the younger players.

also I get the impression luka is selfish to an extreme. I’m not sure any team can be a winner till his attitude changes.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We would be the Mavs + Booker with actual assets to trade to upgrade the roster. Ultimately it would come down to how well Luka and Book got along. The Blazers made the WCF’s with their two leading scorers both being guards and Luka/Booker would be better offensively and equally bad defensively.

Maybe Luka is even better and more motivated playing for Igor. Fun hypothetical.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think he would of. His offensive game was pretty limited

Even his best year Kobe was still 10 points ahead of him to lead the league in scoring. 10 points is a huge gap
Amare was really young when he got hurt. He had a ton of growing to do. I’m not saying it was automatic, but it wouldn’t have been beyond reasonable.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare was really young when he got hurt. He had a ton of growing to do. I’m not saying it was automatic, but it wouldn’t have been beyond reasonable.
Yeah, his highest scoring year was his last before the injury and he didn't even have a decent jump shot yet. He also went absolutely ham in the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton gets Puma shoe endorsement. Yea, Deandre!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from the ESPN article.

Nick DePaula ESPN:

"It's pretty lit. It's truly a blessing as well," Ayton said. "The reason I signed with Puma from the beginning, is I wanted to be different."

The new deal, negotiated by agent Nima Namakian of Innovate Sports Group, is expected to place Ayton among the league's top-three highest paid athletic brand endorsers at the center position. Puma has been finding its footing in the hoop space after a nearly two-decade hiatus from landing any NBA endorsers, and Ayton has long had an affinity and familiarity with the company.

"Growing up in the Bahamas, the first brand really that I wore was Puma. That's all we saw was Puma," he said. "A guy like Usain Bolt, who I looked up to as a star of the Caribbean and the face of the Caribbean when it comes to sports, that's the only thing that he was repping. Puma was everywhere."

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Those of you who want to stick it to Sarver, better start getting more votes in for Ayton so hopefully he can qualify for Super Max money. You needed to be voted into the All Star team, right?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those of you who want to stick it to Sarver, better start getting more votes in for Ayton so hopefully he can qualify for Super Max money. You needed to be voted into the All Star team, right?

Another team can't sign Ayton to the Super Max with all the bonuses, the $207 million kind, next summer.

I think the Suns waited until RFA so they wouldn't have to do this. They can still sign Ayton to a max contract though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard