The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "they can't call a foul on every play" strategy, popularized by Riley/Van Gundy, etc. By acquiring a guy like Jae, we finally tapped into the dark arts. I hate that style of basketball, but unfortunately it works.
I think the credit for that approach goes to Chuck Daly. Riley and others took it and ran with it but Daly is the Coach who showed everyone how effective it can be in the modern game. I always thought that was the worst thing to happen to the NBA until Vlade and other international players taught the league how to flop.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's just so cynical and ugly. The league should be holding the Suns/Warriors type teams up on a pedestal. Instead every postseason turns into Battledome, and we're left shaking our heads.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "they can't call a foul on every play" strategy, popularized by Riley/Van Gundy, etc. By acquiring a guy like Jae, we finally tapped into the dark arts. I hate that style of basketball, but unfortunately it works.
This is exactly yet. It's the same thing I used to say about the Seattle Seahawks secondary.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the credit for that approach goes to Chuck Daly. Riley and others took it and ran with it but Daly is the Coach who showed everyone how effective it can be in the modern game. I always thought that was the worst thing to happen to the NBA until Vlade and other international players taught the league how to flop.
I have no problem with swapping if it's the only thing you can do to get a call when a player like Shaquille O'Neal is plowing you over. Now Manu and his soccer style flopping were absurd.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think there is either but as has been said before, the veteran referees know who the league wants to win (and lose) and Sarver has been a huge embarrassment to this league.

But whatever it is, I've watched this team play forever and I've never seen the difference in fouls as I have the past 2 years. At first, I chalked it up to us playing more physically and figured we just weren't getting the benefit of the doubt yet from the referees that are heavily influenced by reputation.

But we've been near the absolute bottom when it comes to free throw difference for 3 years now. Considering how good we were the past two years that seems difficult to reconcile. I can't recall ever seeing a good team that's among the best at both ends of the court be at such a FT disadvantage. None of this is proof, it's just the only explanation that makes sense to me.
What is this suns team, over the past years known for? Midrange jumpers. You don’t draw fouls with midrange jumpers and Ayton.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What’s that?

Russell, late in the Laker game, was caught on a hot mic saying "Scott Foster game!", just after Foster had given the Lakers yet another bogus foul. Basically admitting that Foster was handing the Lakers the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russell, late in the Laker game, was caught on a hot mic saying "Scott Foster game!", just after Foster had given the Lakers yet another bogus foul. Basically admitting that Foster was handing the Lakers the game.
Huh. That’s ugly. Anyone have the vid?

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sounds like the full line is "Scott Foster reffing ya'll, aint us, it's Scott Foster."
Rumors need to go viral to bet the house against the Suns if Foster is reffing. Try to keep the NBA from having that trash involved in Suns games

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happen to come across this article from a Blazers fan side, their Bright Side basically, as it suggests a possible Ayton acquisition to give Dame a star to play with, lol, and I'd jump on this trade if Portland offered. Some fans thought it was an overpay but some were for it.

Trade

You must be registered for see images attach

I like Simons a lot and Nurkic is average, at least. We'd have some picks to play with also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happen to come across this article from a Blazers fan side, their Bright Side basically, as it suggests a possible Ayton acquisition to give Dame a star to play with, lol, and I'd jump on this trade if Portland offered. Some fans thought it was an overpay but some were for it.

Trade

I like Simons a lot and Nurkic is average, at least. We'd have some picks to play with also.

If I'm reading this correctly, it would give the Suns a 2025 first round pick and the others would be swaps, but yes I would do that trade looking at it today.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trade

If Nurkic didn’t consistently mIss large swaths of games every year, that deal would be an absolute steal and the Blazers would be screwed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly, it would give the Suns a 2025 first round pick and the others would be swaps, but yes I would do that trade looking at it today.

I read it wrong initially and thought we got 2 picks with 1 swap. I'd still do it, I'd push for 2 picks and no swap though. Simons doesn't fit the PG mould that well but I think he could grow into it, especially if CP3 takes him under his wing in his final season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read it wrong initially and thought we got 2 picks with 1 swap. I'd still do it, I'd push for 2 picks and no swap though. Simons doesn't fit the PG mould that well but I think he could grow into it, especially if CP3 takes him under his wing in his final season.

Getting two first round picks out of the trade makes it a lot sweeter. I like Anfernee Simons.

He could be a combo guard but that gets back to my idea of playing Bridges alongside Booker. It's an idea I'd be willing to explore with another player.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about we trade DA for Whemblablaman and Portland can @%#$ and fall in it.
JK I could be talked into that trade.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I don't know what motivates this guy but he's been listless in the last few games. I'm hoping he shows up today. What I really hope is that he gets his act together in the playoffs. It could be the difference between going far or not.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting two first round picks out of the trade makes it a lot sweeter. I like Anfernee Simons.

He could be a combo guard but that gets back to my idea of playing Bridges alongside Booker. It's an idea I'd be willing to explore with another player.
Not so much if the trade makes the Blazers competitive. The picks won't be high enough to matter much. Basically you get Simons because Nurkic can't be depended on. I will say it again. I am against the Suns trading Ayton without getting a legit big man in return. If you were getting a dependable Nurkic this would be a different trade.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be totally happy with Ayton if he wasn't eating one of our max spots up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so much if the trade makes the Blazers competitive. The picks won't be high enough to matter much. Basically you get Simons because Nurkic can't be depended on. I will say it again. I am against the Suns trading Ayton without getting a legit big man in return. If you were getting a dependable Nurkic this would be a different trade.

Simons is the centerpiece of that deal, Nurkic is a throw in. Simons is averaging 21 ppg and 4 assists next to Lillard on 38% shooting from deep. He's 23 years old and locked into a reasonable deal for the next 4 seasons, $25 million a year average.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I honestly feel DA won't be here next year. This is a fair trade but there's to need to jump the gun.
If playoff DA shows up all bets are off and we could get a better deal if a team covets him.
DA will never live up to that 1st pick or Luka, even tho it's looking better now that we know Luka can't win without ALWAYS having the ball in his hands.
We need to get a good PG some 3 and D and a DA replacement in any trade for DA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simons is the centerpiece of that deal, Nurkic is a throw in. Simons is averaging 21 ppg and 4 assists next to Lillard on 38% shooting from deep. He's 23 years old and locked into a reasonable deal for the next 4 seasons, $25 million a year average.
That's what am saying as well. It's really a trade for Simons. You can't trade a legit big man unless you get one in return. It took the Suns almost a decade to get one.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what am saying as well. It's really a trade for Simons. You can't trade a legit big man unless you get one in return. It took the Suns almost a decade to get one.

This isn't the 90's, it's not even the early 2000's. Bigs don't win titles. Who was the Center for the Warriors last year? The Celtics rolled out Horford's remains and made it to the Finals also. We aren't winning a title with Ayton because of Ayton. What he provides can be done by committee. We've seen that when he's missed time. We have a unicorn in KD now so relying on Ayton to make a leap isn't necessary either. I think Simons makes for a better 3rd star than Ayton does. Nurkic and Biz can guard the paint.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I look at Simons stats and highlights the more I want that trade. I don't really care about the picks, any picks are a bonus. The kid is a star in the making and is posting better numbers than McCollum as far assists and shooting efficiency next to Lillard. He could definitely take over for CP3 and if we can sign another Center for the MLE this year we'd be in a good spot going forward. Nurkic's health does concern me but the Blazers are a mess with how they handled GP2 and I'm not sure how many games Nurkic has also missed because they've been tanking or playing for nothing.

Here's a link to Simons stats, hes really taken off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose