The Ayton Plan

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never tried to kick that football.
I did before the draft but haven’t since halfway thru his rookie season when it was Crystal clear he didn’t have elite NBA dog in him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So the talk of him returning, caused us to take a crap in the Mavs game. A game where he was already ruled out. A game in which he did not play in.

okay...
I actually thought the Suns played their best when CP3 was starting the game. Once Book started missing all his shots everything went sideways. Had nothing to do with Chris Paul.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually thought the Suns played their best when CP3 was starting the game. Once Book started missing all his shots everything went sideways. Had nothing to do with Chris Paul.

He was moving well and hitting guys in stride. Then he got old really fast.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3 is good at wearing out his welcome. Comes with the talent/ego.

Still a top-3 trade in Suns’ history.

Listening to the PHNX podcast they pointed out when CP3 tried to go at Bridges for something Bridges was just like dude get the **** out of here.

Something is def going on, but what do I know.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was moving well and hitting guys in stride. Then he got old really fast.

He wasn’t moving well at all it’s like snail out there. This team plays completely different when Paul plays instead of Payne.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the Suns missed this window in the 2020 draft. Seriously doubt Devin Booker is ready for another rebuild.
It likely would’nt be a total rebuild due to booker’s growth, bridges, Ayton (or whatever we get for him), cam Johnson and cam Payne. That team is likely still a playoff, or no worse than play-in team that’s just searching for its next big piece, be that hitting on a draft pick (unlikely given James jones proclivities) or some major trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Listening to the PHNX podcast they pointed out when CP3 tried to go at Bridges for something Bridges was just like dude get the **** out of here.

Something is def going on, but what do I know.
I did notice that as they walked back to the bench Paul was saying something and bridges kept walking without acknowledging him. Thought it was odd but then forgot about it. For a team that experienced so much success there’s so much seeming dysfunction.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He wasn’t moving well at all it’s like snail out there. This team plays completely different when Paul plays instead of Payne.
Oh no doubt. When Paul was in the pace grinds to a standstill. It’s almost startling how different it is.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Chris Paul walking the ball up the court has become a real problem. I know at the very start of the game we didn't get immediately ran off the court, but our offense was not able to establish any sort of rhythm. We're up against a great defense and depriving ourselves of any chance at easy baskets when it takes us 10 seconds to even begin our offensive set.

If his heel hurts so much that he can't run in transition then he needs to sit.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris Paul walking the ball up the court has become a real problem. I know at the very start of the game we didn't get immediately ran off the court, but our offense was not able to establish any sort of rhythm. We're up against a great defense and depriving ourselves of any chance at easy baskets when it takes us 10 seconds to even begin our offensive set.

If his heel hurts so much that he can't run in transition then he needs to sit.
This is a crazy post. He's been out 3/4 of the year so far and his "walking the ball up the court" is the real problem? Have you watched Chris Paul play basketball? That's what he's always done. And it's a real problem on his first game back after 15 games.

I get people don't like CP anymore but come on. Blaming his return on this last loss is ridiculous.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it's a wakeup call too but for me it should be the wakeup call telling us to not invest any assets in an effort to get this team to the next level. It's time to think about the next window, one without CP3 and probably without DA.
You have to take a shot while you have a shot. Bottom line is that it can be a decade before your next window opens. If we can trade for a player that puts us over the top you 100% do it. The team would have to shed a ton of salary to even try and reload because of where we are at the cap. That's probably a multiyear prospect at best. Booker isn't going to tolerate another mini-rebuild.

It likely would’nt be a total rebuild due to booker’s growth, bridges, Ayton (or whatever we get for him), cam Johnson and cam Payne. That team is likely still a playoff, or no worse than play-in team that’s just searching for its next big piece, be that hitting on a draft pick (unlikely given James jones proclivities) or some major trade.
Booker isn't going to be patient even for a mini-rebuild. We are over the cap and paying a luxury tax. The Suns would have to move a number of pieces around the board and you likely are not putting together another window for Booker for a 2 to 3 seasons if you start a mini-rebuild. I don't think Booker has the patience for that after spinning his wheels for so long before that. IMO we are in win now mode with Booker or he might request a trade. Unless we are in a position to keep adding/switching out pieces and continually contend? I think he would request a trade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a crazy post. He's been out 3/4 of the year so far and his "walking the ball up the court" is the real problem? Have you watched Chris Paul play basketball? That's what he's always done. And it's a real problem on his first game back after 15 games.

I get people don't like CP anymore but come on. Blaming his return on this last loss is ridiculous.

It’s not that people don’t like him. It’s obvious he’s not close to what he used to be and that’s a real problem.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to take a shot while you have a shot. Bottom line is that it can be a decade before your next window opens. If we can trade for a player that puts us over the top you 100% do it. The team would have to shed a ton of salary to even try and reload because of where we are at the cap. That's probably a multiyear prospect at best. Booker isn't going to tolerate another mini-rebuild.

Booker isn't going to be patient even for a mini-rebuild. We are over the cap and paying a luxury tax. The Suns would have to move a number of pieces around the board and you likely are not putting together another window for Booker for a 2 to 3 seasons if you start a mini-rebuild. I don't think Booker has the patience for that after spinning his wheels for so long before that. IMO we are in win now mode with Booker or he might request a trade. Unless we are in a position to keep adding/switching out pieces and continually contend? I think he would request a trade.
Thats's not where we're at odds. I believe in that idea, I just don't agree that a KD for Bridges swap puts us over the top. I'd trade Crowder, Saric, 4 unprotected firsts and 3 pick swaps for a player like Durant or maybe even for SGA. Add one of those two to this roster and maybe it puts us over the top. Add one of those two but subtract Bridges and I don't think that gets us there. Closer yes, but not there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats's not where we're at odds. I believe in that idea, I just don't agree that a KD for Bridges swap puts us over the top. I'd trade Crowder, Saric, 4 unprotected firsts and 3 pick swaps for a player like Durant or maybe even for SGA. Add one of those two to this roster and maybe it puts us over the top. Add one of those two but subtract Bridges and I don't think that gets us there. Closer yes, but not there.
That’s nuts and I love Bridges. KD and his impact is way higher and he impacts all the players on the floor alone with the attention he commands.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns get their chemistry back. Something is wrong with team as it stands today. They have lost their fire.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s nuts and I love Bridges. KD and his impact is way higher and he impacts all the players on the floor alone with the attention he commands.
This is what, his 16th year in the pros? And in all that time, despite being surrounded by all star casts he's made it to the finals exactly one more time than Mikal has? That's because it has always been a team game. Yes, he's a better player than Mikal, not even in the same league. KD is an all time great, Mikal is an excellent role player. But how many times do you guys have to watch this team suck out there before you realize there is no saving it.

Not even prime KD could save this roster. Bridges has value for the future, give him up now so that we can be just good enough to get our hearts broken in the postseason and that does what for our future? Nothing. I'm all for going for broke but we need a better foundation to start with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but you just don’t get a player of that magnitude without giving something up.

The Pistons fans probably hemmed and hawed about giving up Dantley for Mark Aguirre but it was the right move. Dantley was an All-Star player and fan favorite, much more accomplished than Bridges. There were probably Rockets fans who never wanted to give up Otis Thorpe who just helped them win a title for an aging Clyde Drexler. I think this Suns team is pretty much in the same place those Pistons/Rockets teams were only if they could make their trade for KD, he TOWERS over Aguirre and Drexler at that point in their careers. KD still towers over almost everyone in the league right now.

That’s move moves mountains. Giving up Mikal (who’s at best an good 3 on a team with two unicorns, but is a really weak 3 on this current team and will never be a good #2) for a legit unicorn is both smart in the present… and truth be told, not the worst thing for the future because I fear this team thinks Mikal could be a number 2 with Book and that future is really no future at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what, his 16th year in the pros? And in all that time, despite being surrounded by all star casts he's made it to the finals exactly one more time than Mikal has? That's because it has always been a team game. Yes, he's a better player than Mikal, not even in the same league. KD is an all time great, Mikal is an excellent role player. But how many times do you guys have to watch this team suck out there before you realize there is no saving it.

Not even prime KD could save this roster. Bridges has value for the future, give him up now so that we can be just good enough to get our hearts broken in the postseason and that does what for our future? Nothing. I'm all for going for broke but we need a better foundation to start with.
What in the world are you talking about? KD has been to finals 4 times (OKC once and the Warriors 3 times in a row) to Mikal’s 1.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What in the world are you talking about? KD has been to finals 4 times (OKC once and the Warriors 3 times in a row) to Mikal’s 1.
Okay, bad memory on my part. But it doesn't change my point. It's a team game, KD can't overcome a bad roster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, bad memory on my part. But it doesn't change my point. It's a team game, KD can't overcome a bad roster.
This isn’t a bad roster. It’s a roster desperately missing a second superstar and even more than that, one that desperately needs CHANGE to juice it back up.

And KD is still a #1 Superstar.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn’t a bad roster. It’s a roster desperately missing a second superstar and even more than that, one that desperately needs CHANGE to juice it back up.

And KD is still a #1 Superstar.
Yeah that was an exagerration but I do think it's a bad roster to try and win a championship with. CP3's heel injury concerns me and without him this roster is more than a superstar away IMO. Booker is a pretty good number 2. Even if KD continues playing great all season like he has thus far, I don't think we get past Memphis or New Orleans with challenges at the 1, 3 and 5 spots.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When did this become a “bad roster?!?” It may be dysfunctional, and it may not be a contender as presently constituted, but by no means is it a “bad roster.” With KD you would have a legit #1 and the best #2 in the league in Booker. The looks cam Johnson, Lee, shamet, Payne, Craig would get from 3 would be the most wide open in the league or teams would get attacked by KD/book getting solo attention. Paul could just be a distributor, sometime scorer and Ayton would have very little attention payed to him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave