The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns were committed to competing for a title and bringing Ayton back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Except if the price is right. LOL. All of these trade rumors and the Suns allegedly negotiating with teams directly or in a 3 ways….it not exactly a commitment. Where there is smoke………

I am sure they will spin it that way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm now wondering if the Pacers tweaked the contract in some way like player options near the end of the contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, I love the fact that they matched it immediately. Indiana thought they were calling the Suns' bluff, and the Suns simply matched immediately. Love it!
I really think they knew all along that we were matching. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the offer sheet was at the behest of Duffy, it really costs them nothing and maybe earns a future quid pro quo from Bill. Apparently it happens quite often.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except if the price is right. LOL. All of these trade rumors and the Suns allegedly negotiating with teams directly or in a 3 ways….it not exactly a commitment. Where there is smoke………

The Suns are so quiet with negotiations it's hard to know what goes on behind the scene.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless something has changed in the most recent CBA they do. Trade kickers and player options are really the only pain points teams can apply to a max contract since the payment structure for a max contract is set in stone.

It appears I was wrong. After reading the rule above? Otto Porter was allowed to have a trade kicker in his contract but they say that isn’t a very big deterrent. The rule called it “trade bonus” which is considered a “Principle” condition.

A trade kicker can not bring a players salary over the max, which is what Ayton will be receiving in year 1 of the deal. So if he's traded and the trade kicker brings his overall payment above the max, the kicker is voided. See the Anthony Davis for an instance where that happened and a trade kicker was voided.

Where the kicker would be in play is in later years because with the cap increasing, he may not be making the "max" any longer. The max he is getting now is 25% of the cap as of the time he signs it and each year after he gets 5% raises. His contract doesn't increase to 25% of the cap each year. Since the cap is likely to increase by more than 5% it would allow enough of a discrepancy for his trade kicker to come into play, which is usually a set percentage like 10-15% increase for that current season.

Also It depends on the language used for who pays the kicker also, sometimes it's the team acquiring team and others it's the team trading him away. Details of that vary.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I really think they knew all along that we were matching. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the offer sheet was at the behest of Duffy, it really costs them nothing and maybe earns a future quid pro quo from Bill. Apparently it happens quite often.
Except the pacers had to waive and cut a few guys just to be able to present that offer sheet. Maybe they were guys they were already going to get rid of?? Only Time Will tell.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lol

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except the pacers had to waive and cut a few guys just to be able to present that offer sheet. Maybe they were guys they were already going to get rid of?? Only Time Will tell.

I think they were but that's no more than a guess.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Probably but it made me feel better.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Matching quickly was a good move. They did so before Ayton had the chance to say he doesn't want the Suns to match.

There's also a chance are his team figured the Suns would match and he didn't issue a statement when he signed the offer sheet. That would have only created more drama, which I don't believe Ayton is a fan of. He's paid, he can rest easy right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard