The Ayton Plan

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What the hell does he mean “it’s only for one year”

So they don’t want Turner and have no interest in keeping him long term.

This is getting worse and worse
Lol so our options are match, let him walk, or receive a player that we do not want. Hmmmmn I'm not a rocket surgeon, but it seems like door number one is our best option.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess you can say that if you completely ignore this sentence:

“Yes, part of Ayton’s value is his upside.”

But what they did 8 years ago is completely irrelevant to a trade today.

I don’t see how, but ok.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that’s not the better the way to do it because we are talking about their value NOW, not over the course of their careers. This spring from the fact that utah got 5 1sts for Gobert and the conjecture is that the suns wouldn’t get as many for Ayton. Yes, part of Ayton’s value is his upside. But their primary value for trading partners is what they bring to the table and for the foreseeable next 3-4 years. So looking at those ancient stats for Gobert is irrelevant to this discussion.

I don't know why a player's upside shouldn't be considered when there is such a large age differential.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that’s not the better the way to do it because we are talking about their value NOW, not over the course of their careers. This convo sprung from the fact that utah got 5 1sts for Gobert and the conjecture is that the suns wouldn’t get as many for Ayton. Yes, part of Ayton’s value is his upside. But their primary value for trading partners is what they bring to the table and for the foreseeable next 3-4 years. So looking at those ancient stats for Gobert is irrelevant to this discussion.
Agree. Looking at it like that would be for a debate on potential. Not current value. Based on what we have seen, it appears more teams place more of a premium value on a proven commodity verses potential or teams wouldn't have been blowing cap space and instead lining up for Ayton.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns have no interest in Turner that points to one of two things. Either the Suns have something else up their sleeve (3 way trade) or the Suns are settling. At the end of the day it appears there isn't a huge market for Ayton and what he is asking for if all the rumors are true. It's Indiana, Indian and Indiana.

Which means they will get Ayton for a short term rental. Wow. That better mean picks are headed this way. Yikes!

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree. Looking at it like that would be for a debate on potential. Not current value. Based on what we have seen, it appears more teams place more of a premium value on a proven commodity verses potential or teams wouldn't have been blowing cap space and instead lining up for Ayton.
I think it depends on the context of the team. If it's a contending team, they would value current performance more highly. If it's a rebuilding team, they would value age and potential more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This would be a trade tactic I'd be using if I were the Suns.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the context of the team. If it's a contending team, they would value current performance more highly. If it's a rebuilding team, they would value age and potential more.
Maybe but even in that case, those teams would seemingly be clearing cap space and not eating it up in other moves if they wanted Ayton if they put such a premium on potential.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be a trade tactic I'd be using if I were the Suns.
Yeah but Gambo has been saying this I think since last year when Turner's name came up in trade rumors. So, it would appear someone has been telling him that for some time now. To me this SCREAMS settling by the Suns if there is not some unheard of 3 way trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but Gambo has been saying this I think since last year when Turner's name came up in trade rumors. So, it would appear someone has been telling him that for some time now. To me this SCREAMS settling by the Suns if there is not some unheard of 3 way trade.

Ayton for Turner straight up is a failed trade by the Suns. I think everyone on the forum knows this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s fair. But then it also means you can’t use a trade like the minny-utah deal as a basis for a suns-pacers deal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton for Turner straight up is a failed trade by the Suns. I think everyone on the forum knows this.
Even if the Suns get a pick or two it's a tough pill to swallow for a rent a player unless Turner comes here blossoms and we end up keeping him longer term.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there is this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Alleged potential
With a guy who is inconsistent and there are legitimate questions regarding motivation I think the word “alleged” is warranted. The potential is definitely there, I’ve never said otherwise. I just couldn’t come up with a better way to phrase it that there are serious questions as to whether the potential will ever be effectively tapped.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there is this.

I just watched that 10 minutes ago. CRAP. It sure sounds like an offer sheet scenario. NOT good for the Suns unless they planned on resigning him. Really handicaps what the Suns can acquire for assets to give to the Nets and means the Suns would have match or let him walk without any assets in return. He also said if the Suns match it could impact what the Suns can sent to the Nets?!?! What did he mean by that?

Crap.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man, I still can’t really conceptualize the fact that the suns aren’t keeping Ayton. And that they are going to be on the losing side of any deal for him. It’s freaking crazy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Pacers really want Ayton and they sign him to an offer sheet and the Suns match... they have to know it's over for now.

It's not the time to be overly thrifty with assets if they are serious.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Pacers really want Ayton and they sign him to an offer sheet and the Suns match... they have to know it's over for now.

It's not the time to be overly thrifty with assets if they are serious.
What is over for now?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen