Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ringer saying Hawks willing to include #16 with Collins to move him

Hmmm got to wonder why they’ve soured on Collins so much

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Boston Celtics are in the finals right now and looking great with Robert Williams playing injured. Why would they make this deal?

Regarding us matching an offer, the only thing that came out from the Phoenix Suns about those negotiations was that they didn't want that final year. Can other teams sign him to that 5 year deal? I thought they were limited to 4 years, but I admit it when you don't know the CBA as well as I did 20 years ago.

Joe
Totally fair assessment. My thing was because Ayton is a better offensive player, that would open up stuff for the Jay’s and Smart though he’s an outstanding defender, is a liability as a PG. It was just an idea but yeah idk if Boston would agree to that off a Finals appearance. Then again, if they don’t win, there’s no guarantee they get back there with the East being pretty formidable.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That doesn't make any sense for Boston, even if they don't win the title. Why would they trade the 1st team All Defense PG and the Center from the 2nd All Defense team for Ayton? Smart won Defensive Player of the Year and Williams finished 7th voting, but would have likely finished higher had he not gotten injured.

Maybe get Ja from Memphis instead? We could send them Cam Payne and Saric to make salaries work. We'd have to max out Ja but that shouldn't be an issue with Paul coming off the books soon.
Only reason I threw it out there is Williams is no offensive threat whatsoever and while Ayton isn’t better defensively, I think he’d still be an upgrade long term. Smart is also a liability with the ball in his hands late in games but I get he’s the heart of the team.

Also, contracts…Smart and Williams combined are making $131 million. A DA max with a team that’s not the Suns can only be 4 years for 131 so that’s why I threw it out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Atlanta seems to be the hot rumor today. They just promoted their Assistant GM, Landry Fields to the official GM role according to Woj. That's quite the ascension for Fields, similar to Jones, but Fields is 33 while Jones is 41.

If Atlanta is the team that Ayton prefers, one key difference from the Joe Johnson situation is that Atlanta does not have the cap space to sign him outright so they have to negotiate with us if they want him. They can't just have him sign the offer sheet and call our bluff.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team just never learns it’s lesson.
Ughhhhh should have taken Luka but than no cp3..... so who knows

Sad in a way knowing ayton probably pn a new team next yr

Just pleaseeeeeeee get a nice trade package picks big player

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Simmons deal is an interesting one for a point of comparison. Obviously he and aytin are completely different scenarios. But which has more tha value? The young center who looks like it’s possible he doesn’t have the dawg to max out his potential or the one-time all-star who has a mental breakdown/back issues and has, more or less, sat out a season?
Well to me it is clearly Ayton. Ayton does not have any debilitating weakness in his game like Simmons' inability to shoot that can be exploited.

I mean I am hoping to do better than get a past his prime guy like Harden back, but the Suns may go that way if they are in the window is closing immediately unless we do something big mindset.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Atlanta seems to be the hot rumor today. They just promoted their Assistant GM, Landry Fields to the official GM role according to Woj. That's quite the ascension for Fields, similar to Jones, but Fields is 33 while Jones is 41.

If Atlanta is the team that Ayton prefers, one key difference from the Joe Johnson situation is that Atlanta does not have the cap space to sign him outright so they have to negotiate with us if they want him. They can't just have him sign the offer sheet and call our bluff.
Atlanta does actually have some nice young pieces, we could do a lot worse IMO.

Collins and Huerter for him might work.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely some teams are better developing players. But it’s rare to see the goofy coaches outta a big. Or to see a soft guy learn to play into contact.

Although Stix was never one of those soft players who were afraid of contact.

When the Suns played him at center, he might get pushed around a bit because of his frame but I never saw him shy away from contact. It may have looked that way at times because the Suns often persisted playing him at power forward where they wanted him taking those corner 3-pointers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure sounds like Ayton and the Suns are headed towards a mutual parting of the way. If the Suns are being aggressive and as the article suggests have made up their mind? Sounds like the Suns are reaching out for trade partners. I know it's harder for fans to speculate but I sure hope none of these one on one trade deals are on the table. If the Suns want to maximize Ayton's trade value? A three team trade is more likely to net you that.

I have not read a single one to one sign and trade proposal that makes us better than this year's team. I will say it again. If trading Ayton makes us worse? Keep Ayton.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton strikes me as a player who would not want to go to a cold climate if the money and opportunity are roughly equal. I could see of the rumored teams, Atlanta, San Antonio, and Charlotte having a leg-up on the likes of Detroit, Indiana, and Toronto.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sure, at this point you don't have the great options
but we can only wonder whether it had to get to this point
and why we keep getting to the point of often not being able to keep our best players.
Booker is an exception for the Suns

my priority is that our only #1 pick isn't trade away for 1 or more role players that come and go.
Ayton was to be one of the big 3 we can compete with for a long time.
i want a cornerstone player back
otherwise, after Paul is gone we're 2 steps back
and on the outside of the playoffs

exactly a year ago we were 2 games from a championship
it's too soon to be rebuilding with a deal with any focus on future picks for Ayton

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
how the hell did we get in this predicament?
imo, it's not because we didn't max him last off-season
it's about the same reasons they didn't want to commit to him

when i said i was concerned about Ayton saying "i'm the best" 2 months ago
and other's laughed
i was right (as usual)
he's naive. his perceptions, expectations and work ethic is not where it needs to be

but despite those things, if i thought i could replace Monty with a coach that could get more out of him, i'd pay Ayton and replace Monty

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
how the hell did we get in this predicament?
imo, it's not because we didn't max him last off-season
it's about the same reasons they didn't want to commit to him

when i said i was concerned about Ayton saying "i'm the best" 2 months ago
and other's laughed
i was right (as usual)
he's naive. his perceptions, expectations and work ethic is not where it needs to be

but despite those things, if i thought i could replace Monty with a coach that could get more out of him, i'd pay Ayton and replace Monty
We got in this predicament because management did not want to give Ayton the full 5 year max.

I am confused because on the one hand you seem angry about that, and on the other you seem to not like Ayton because of his work ethic. So are you in favor of paying the absolute most posible a guy who has a poor work ethic and has not met his potential?

I don't really blame management on this one - I mean if we had an owner that had no budget limitations we would not be in this situation but that is a very rare situation actually.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
You say that, but if Ayton is pissed and wants out, what other options do they really have at this point?
It's a you don't get credit for the solution when you caused the problem. 20/20 ain't hindsight if you had control all along. Decision making has to be better.

It's like nobody ever had to work with or for someone you don't like before.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
24 years old. No serious team would get rid of Ayton unless there is something huge that has been totally hidden.

Oooor we have the single worst owner in all of sports. That could be it.

To me it’s always been about money.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
didn't one of Sarver's racial comments involve Ayton?
maybe if it becomes known that we're getting rid of Saver it might change the Ayton equation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't one of Sarver's racial comments involve Ayton?
maybe if it becomes known that we're getting rid of Saver it might change the Ayton equation.
That comment was retracted by Jalen Rose… via Stephen A.