The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking back, it was reported Ayton wanted a 5 year/ $172.5 million max. The Suns were not willing to commit to five year contract so here we are.

If bonuses were not built into the contract, it should have been a much easier decision for the Suns to make.

Actually I think the Suns could still give him this amount of money but there is a designated waiting period before he could be traded.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I heard on sports radio today that the Suns are less likely to want a center back in a trade. It seems they are looking more at the PF and PG positions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard on sports radio today that the Suns are less likely to want a center back in a trade. It seems they are looking more at the PF and PG positions.

Preferably both, a point guard and a power forward.

Also I'd like to see the Suns draft a young player they like if they acquire a draft pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Although Stix was never one of those soft players who were afraid of contact.

When the Suns played him at center, he might get pushed around a bit because of his frame but I never saw him shy away from contact. It may have looked that way at times because the Suns often persisted playing him at power forward where they wanted him taking those corner 3-pointers.
I wasn’t talking about stix

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I hope this Sarver report is ugly.

No shame in saying so.

We're watching another team, that should have been a perennial contender, wasted because Sarver isn't willing to spend what it takes to actually contend. Giving up on Stix so quickly was maddeningly stupid, I know I HATED the move the instant it happened, I hate it more now. There was zero logic behind it besides penny pinching. You run a franchise worth 2 billion+ and you're pissing away an potential asset over a few million bucks... just... utterly inane. Jordan Poole couldn't hit the broad side of a barn his rookie year, he was absolutely terrible, he only got minutes because the Warriors were desperately trying to lose. Sarver would have declined his option, no question in my mind.

Now this **** with Ayton. I am resigned to losing him at this point, I am just hoping we can get the best sign and trade possible, but we wouldn't be in this situation if we'd done what 90% of the teams in the league would have done and extend him last year. Even IF he didn't live up to the deal, trading a VERY GOOD 23 year old player is not hard, no matter how much they make. Getting equal value from an RFA is almost impossible.

I would accept the rumored Hornets deal. Bridges, Washington and picks. Anything less than that and I'd match anything Ayton gets and either fix the relationship or trade him in a year.

We shouldn't be in this spot. We should be in the finals. Watching tonight's game only reinforced how much better this team was when they were clicking than anyone else in the NBA.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Was our problem against the Bucks size? So we go out and get bigger

Now we lose to a small ball team and we want to get smaller?

To me this looks like we have no real plan or direction

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No shame in saying so.

We're watching another team, that should have been a perennial contender, wasted because Sarver isn't willing to spend what it takes to actually contend. Giving up on Stix so quickly was maddeningly stupid, I know I HATED the move the instant it happened, I hate it more now. There was zero logic behind it besides penny pinching. You run a franchise worth 2 billion+ and you're pissing away an potential asset over a few million bucks... just... utterly inane. Jordan Poole couldn't hit the broad side of a barn his rookie year, he was absolutely terrible, he only got minutes because the Warriors were desperately trying to lose. Sarver would have declined his option, no question in my mind.

Now this **** with Ayton. I am resigned to losing him at this point, I am just hoping we can get the best sign and trade possible, but we wouldn't be in this situation if we'd done what 90% of the teams in the league would have done and extend him last year. Even IF he didn't live up to the deal, trading a VERY GOOD 23 year old player is not hard, no matter how much they make. Getting equal value from an RFA is almost impossible.

I would accept the rumored Hornets deal. Bridges, Washington and picks. Anything less than that and I'd match anything Ayton gets and either fix the relationship or trade him in a year.

We shouldn't be in this spot. We should be in the finals. Watching tonight's game only reinforced how much better this team was when they were clicking than anyone else in the NBA.

I hope the NBA releases their investigative report before the draft and most certainly before July 1st.

I've seen the trade with the Hornets a few places but without the draft picks.

Hornets receive: Deandre Ayton

Suns receive: Miles Bridges, PJ Washington

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was our problem against the Bucks size? So we go out and get bigger

Now we lose to a small ball team and we want to get smaller?

To me this looks like we have no real plan or direction

The Suns perimeter defense is a big part of the problem allowing easy penetration to the basket and creating wide open threes.

Their defense has to be more aggressive rotating for the entire 24 seconds.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns perimeter defense is a big part of the problem allowing easy penetration to the basket and creating wide open threes.

We were really intense about this last season, this past year we definitely had lapses and was even more apparent in the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were really intense about this last season, this past year we definitely had lapses and was even more apparent in the playoffs.

Yeah, the Suns defensive lapses can't be laid at the foot of one player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No shame in saying so.

I'm with you up until the Hornets deal. I think that's the worst one I've heard about especially since we probably won't be willing to pay Bridges and if we do, he'll immediately join the ranks of the most overpaid players in the league.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Our perimeter defense was elite all year. We were a top 5 defense all year.

We stopped playing hard. The parts aren’t the problem the chemistry is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a reason the players quit playing hard call it what you will. It needs to be fixed. There is no excuse for it in the playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And yet we had great chemistry all year too. You could just see it in the players reactions and support for each other. I really have no clue what changed but something did and all we know is the final result, not what got us from 64 wins to almost losing to the Pelicans and then being blown out by the Mavericks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet we had great chemistry all year too. You could just see it in the players reactions and support for each other. I really have no clue what changed but something did and all we know is the final result, not what got us from 64 wins to almost losing to the Pelicans and then being blown out by the Mavericks.

I still contend the Pelicans were a good team at the end of the season. I'm not convinced the Mavericks were a better team.

The idea bothers me that the Suns were overconfident against Dallas.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still contend the Pelicans were a good team at the end of the season. I'm not convinced the Mavericks were a better team.

I hope the Suns learned from their 4 course meal of humble pie from Dallas. They need to let their play on the court do the talking moving forward, especially Booker.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They should have been overconfident.

The regular season Suns would have smoked them, just like the Warriors did.

You will never convince me that Dallas team should have ever beaten the Suns. That was a historically embaressing collapse.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Pelicans deserved their playoff berth but they weren't in our class, not close at all IMO. The Mavericks were underrated by just about everybody here because of our past success against them. But they were one of the top teams after the Porzingis trade.

And maybe we were overconfident early but I don't buy that as a factor in the final two games. Regardless, they still shouldn't have been at our level, let alone beat us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns learned from their 4 course meal of humble pie from Dallas. They need to let their play on the court do the talking moving forward, especially Booker.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Chris Paul coaching up the players on the sideline and on the court. I'm not sure what happened there but it seemed to help. The Suns were not a hungry team in the playoffs.

It's all about putting in the work. Perhaps the Suns forgot that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have been overconfident.

The regular season Suns would have smoked them, just like the Warriors did.

You will never convince me that Dallas team should have ever beaten the Suns. That was a historically embaressing collapse.

The regular season Suns took it one game at a time. They were not an over confident team in the regular season.

It's like they peaked too early and forgot what got them there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Pelicans deserved their playoff berth but they weren't in our class, not close at all IMO. The Mavericks were underrated by just about everybody here because of our past success against them. But they were one of the top teams after the Porzingis trade.

And maybe we were overconfident early but I don't buy that as a factor in the final two games. Regardless, they still shouldn't have been at our level, let alone beat us.

Maybe I like the Pelicans more than most with McCollum, Valanciunas and Ingram. I don't think they took a back seat to most teams.

The Mavericks beat the Suns essentially with a three point guard offense. It shouldn't have worked but the Suns couldn't stop the dribble penetration or the 3-point shot. Something is terribly wrong there when they couldn't take away one option. They out executed and outworked the Suns plain and simple. No excuse for that.

This team needs a wake up call but I don't think trading Ayton is the answer. Monty needs to allow every player compete for a job. Starting should not be a given. Stix and Holiday should have been given more playing time.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I like the Pelicans more than most with McCollum, Valanciunas and Ingram. I don't think they took a back seat to most teams.

The Mavericks beat the Suns essentially with a three point guard offense. It shouldn't have worked but the Suns could stop the dribble penetration or the 3-point shot. Something is terribly wrong there when they couldn't take away one option. They out executed and outworked the Suns plain and simple. No excuse for that.

This team needs a wake up call but I don't think trading Ayton is the answer. Monty needs to allow every player compete for a job. Starting should not be a given. Stix and Holiday should have been given more playing time.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm certainly not in the group that thinks the Pelicans were horrible, I know they had some injuries and as the team got healthier it showed in their play. But between the two of them there's no contest, the Mavericks were much better than New Orleans.

Dallas closed the season with a 23-7 record, they were no fluke. The Pelicans, as they got healthier, closed the season with a much improved 19-14 record - good enough to deserve that spot in the postseason but they weren't on our level or the Mavericks.

And Dallas, for some reason (injury, Covid, laziness, over-confidence, Kardashian curse, Sarver report, coaching, Martian replacements or whatever) was able to exert their will on us because they all of a sudden seemed quicker at every position.

They weren't the first team to go small against us or to load up with 3 point shooters, we took advantage of that most of the time in the regular season. And then we didn't. Why? Nobody here knows but we'd all like to find out.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Mavericks beat the Suns essentially with a three point guard offense. It shouldn't have worked but the Suns could stop the dribble penetration or the 3-point shot. Something is terribly wrong there when they couldn't take away one option. They out executed and outworked the Suns plain and simple. No excuse for that.

I love that Pelicans team and they are going to be a problem next year. I always forget how young Ingram is because he seems like he’s been in the league forever.

I think the world of Willie Green. If they move Zion and they should while they can still get something for him they could be real contenders.

Because of the Mavs series a lot of people are really forgetting how dominate this team was. We were double digits better than the Grizz, something like 54-0 when leading going into the 4th, top 5 of offense and defense. 5 of the top 6 in 4th quarter efficiency.

Nothing will ever convince me the Mavs were better. Something happened and it started way before the Mavs series. You can point to when this team let off the gas. I think Monty lost the team honestly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that Pelicans team and they are going to be a problem next year. I always forget how young Ingram is because he seems like he’s been in the league forever.

I think the world of Willie Green. If they move Zion and they should while they can still get something for him they could be real contenders.

Because of the Mavs series a lot of people are really forgetting how dominate this team was. We were double digits better than the Grizz, something like 54-0 when leading going into the 4th, top 5 of offense and defense. 5 of the top 6 in 4th quarter efficiency.

Nothing will ever convince me the Mavs were better. Something happened and it started way before the Mavs series. You can point to when this team let off the gas. I think Monty lost the team honestly.
I think it's a little like moving Ayton although obviously Zion's physical issues are far more problematic. If they can get anywhere near full value for Zion's potential, a trade makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, as with Ayton, you'd be accepting run of the mill replacements to move on from a player with superstar potential.

If it were my call, I'd keep Ayton here but I'd move Zion if a worthy deal came around. But I can understand their reluctance to trade Zion and I can understand the Suns reluctance to pay DA.

And I like Willie Green a lot too, IMO that's the best thing the Pelicans have going for them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agree. This suns team was completely dominant. Top 3 offensively and defensively almost all season. By like every element they were dominant. And the chemistry seemed top shelf all season too. There’s an untold story somewhere in here. COVID wouldn’t be enough to fully explain the full derailment we saw.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose