The Amazing Race 9

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Our little band of racers take off on this leg to Catania, a new city that, once again no one can pronounce Lake, darling, you are in a race of course they are going to send you to “another” town if you stay in one place you aren’t racing you are on vacation.

The head-counting task seemed pointless, it must have been a warm-up so no one cramped up at the Detour. I did love the fake sign-in sheet — but the hippies' funniest prank was getting Monica to hug them before she noticed their Eau de Fishy. Monica you started out so well with your fish but then it became the “worst thing” you’ve ever done, carry a big smelly fish? Gee honey, you should be thankful because most people have to do a lot of things tougher than that. At the market Mojo's sucky grasp of foreign languages caught up with them as they wondered why no one would answer to the name "Jinga."

Fran and Barry seem to have gotten the hang of choosing between tasks and they had a blast selling fish. Meanwhile, Dave frustrated the hell out of all women by refusing to ask for directions but then Lori, dear, you could have rolled down your window and asked for your own darn self. And I don't know if it was a race thing or a language barrier, but every time poor Ray asked for directions, people said no as if he were selling magazine subscriptions.

Roadblock; the kayak-polo thing was interesting; do the teams just stay there and play all day? Phil said a continuous game of kayak polo. But it did give some racers the chance to wash off the fish juice Lori and Dave knew they were goners from the start, though they managed some hopeful talk about non-elimination possibilities. Again, they are sweet with the "May the force be with you" and "I love you's." nerds do in fact rule, Dave. Too bad they rarely win footraces.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:
when ray and yolanda parked their car to find that place on foot, i thought for sure they weren't going to be able to find it again.
I was thinking the same thing.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
****** SPOILER ALERT **********

Thank GOD the hippies didn't get eliminated! I love those guys.

If I remember correcly, Lake took the bus, too, right? So they would have gotten a penalty as well. Am glad to see Lake and his wife go. They annoyed me with all their fighting.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup - glad to see Lake and Michelle go - but shocked that we have yet to have a non-elimination pit-stop.

And yes, glad that the Hippies didn't get eliminated.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Yup - glad to see Lake and Michelle go - but shocked that we have yet to have a non-elimination pit-stop.

And yes, glad that the Hippies didn't get eliminated.

Me, too. I thought for sure that this would be a non-elimination round.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when lake's wife was talking about how they may appear dysfunctional but they're not, I kept expecting her to add "and if I try to leave, he'll kill me."

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
Russ Smith said:
when lake's wife was talking about how they may appear dysfunctional but they're not, I kept expecting her to add "and if I try to leave, he'll kill me."

seriously. when they got to the mat and found out they were eliminated, lake was totally pretending to be ok with it. you know he beat the crap out of her when the cameras were gone.

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Whew….close call I almost couldn’t handle the stress of thinking my hippie boys were out…The teams evened out twice, the train to Rome then the flight to Greece. I did wonder if anyone felt cheated that they only spent five minutes in Rome, long enough to allow us an episode long Da Vinci Code promo.

FASTFORWARD: smash dishes. The plate-breaking was similar to the Munich bottle breaking with a little nesting doll touch. How often do they dishes in taverns to ward of evil spirits anyway---could become rather expensive.

ROADBLOCK: bungie. Bravo to Fran for her jump. According to their bio Barry was disappointed before because she wouldn’t bungee on vacation....which made for by skydiving. I'm not sure how that's less scary, could be you don’t feel as unprepared for jumping from a plane as compared to high dive off a bridge, attached to a rubber band. As we’ve seen before fear is not a rational thing. Neither is Lake, if Michelle navigating upset him so much, why didn't he try it himself? You shut up!

DETOUR: The Olympic trials were amusing. Yolanda proved again that she's more athletic than Ray and everyone gets to know a wrestler rather intimately.

B.J. and Tyler showed a positive attitude while losing their lead. That, and the frog hat, is why they pulled ahead of Lake and Michelle. After the nerve-racking 15-minute penalty, I think everyone may pay special attention to instructions from now on. Didn’t they hear me yelling at the TV screen?

Now that Lake and Michelle are out, I like all of the teams. This is gonna be tough to watch!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured it would be a non-elimination round. Glad the hippies did not get eliminated. Hilarious on the bus ride (when they were by themselves) when they BJ was doing the imitations of eliminated racers - Lake, etc.
Regarding the Pinks "Oman? Is that in China?" :lmao:

The look of shock on Phil's face when the Franberries showed up at the pitstop first was priceless!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
I figured it would be a non-elimination round. Glad the hippies did not get eliminated. Hilarious on the bus ride (when they were by themselves) when they BJ was doing the imitations of eliminated racers - Lake, etc.
Regarding the Pinks "Oman? Is that in China?" :lmao:

The look of shock on Phil's face when the Franberries showed up at the pitstop first was priceless!

I guess it's time for my comment I make every season. I refuse to believe that the non elimination rounds are chosen in advance. It just seems too convenient how often the team that is "great tv" lucks out and doesn't get eliminated.

The frat boys amaze me, here they are in the freaking Middle East driving right before dark and they decide to take a "short cut" and cost themselves first place?

Did they eliminate a lot of the Ray and yolanda argument or something? Sure seemed to me that she was being incredibly hypersensitive with Ray so I'm assuming they just didn't show the whole thing that set her off?

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Russ Smith said:
Did they eliminate a lot of the Ray and yolanda argument or something? Sure seemed to me that she was being incredibly hypersensitive with Ray so I'm assuming they just didn't show the whole thing that set her off?

I don't think so, she was bent several times when he'd say "damn" or "hell"

I think she is too sensitive & won't let him be a man. I don't think he ever called her a f-ing b or that's b.s. , just the cuss-word lites of damn & hell.

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Our racers bid farewell to Greece by one of two buses and head for the airport. Amusing us along the way my hippie boys, finding themselves alone on their bus decided to take the ghosts of eliminated racers with them while doing spot-on imitations.

The airport evens out the teams, Hey Bar; the airport ticket counter isn’t the best place to keep secrets about flight info, though BJ and Tyler do have to take a later flight. Our racers step off the European path for more exotic locales and, cross your fingers, more interesting china to break. Without Lake to say something offensive about the Middle East, everyone seemed to enjoy being there and appreciative of the experience. This leg offered opportunities for teams to bunch up and wait; for gates to open, buses and ferries to come and go or waters to cross.

I loved the standoff between the MoJo and the hippies; who would brave the river crossing first? Eric and Jeremy barreled past to take first and those timidly waiting complained about their aggressiveness, go figure. All the teams had different degrees of being map challenged this leg.

At the detour load a camel in a pickup; is that really how they transport them? Or search some widely spaced watchtowers for a clue that may or may not be there. The camels seemed rather tame and cooperative, especially since there were around 20 guys there to help but then who knew Oman doesn’t have clear street signs?

At the roadblock one team member digs through piles of dirt looking for underground ovens holding their dinner. The saddest part of the night was watching BJ's spirit crash as he dug through every pile to find their crazy buried lamb dish. Anyone else think that "shuwa" might include a bit of grit? How disheartening to get there first and then watch all the other teams have better luck.

As the hippies TTOWed their way up to the pit stop to hear the news that they were last we find that we finally have a non-elimination leg. Sadly we have to say farewell to the hats but if anyone can make it with nothing more than the clothes on their back, it's BJ and Tyler.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't believe the old folks finished first...amazing...are they the oldest couple to make it this far? And to finish first on a leg?

Mike

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Can't believe the old folks finished first...amazing...are they the oldest couple to make it this far? And to finish first on a leg?

Mike

Didn't Meredith and Gretchen make it this far? But I think they are the first to finish first on a leg.

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Meredith & Gretchen made it as far as episode 10, where there were four teams remaining, I believe they were the oldest couple to make it that far. They however never made it to the pit stop first; their best leg was during the week previous to their elimination where they came into Istanbul second.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angel said:
Meredith & Gretchen made it as far as episode 10, where there were four teams remaining, I believe they were the oldest couple to make it that far. They however never made it to the pit stop first; their best leg was during the week previous to their elimination where they came into Istanbul second.

Thanks - and M/G remained the best finishing old couple :(

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda weak episode last night - very sorry to see the Franberries go - and they we oh so close.

Beginning to develop serious dislike for MOJO

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Beginning to develop serious dislike for MOJO

Those guys are jerks.

Oops...I was referring to the Eric and Jeremy dudes. MoJo aren't very friendly, either, though. :(

Last edited:

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
If there was doubt that teams do show their true colors, just wait until the nonelimination. Fran and Barry left BJ and Tyler money without worrying that their generosity may hurt them, same with Ray and Yolanda. MoJo have to get vindictive, while Eric and Jeremy are their selfish selves. "It's like trying to get in girls' pants: lie, cheat, steal,” I understand not wanting to lend money to your competition but why be nasty about it?

Turns out, though appropriately grateful they didn't need charity. They did things the old-fashioned hippie way, picked up some hitchhikers, just to meet them who generously paid for gas and food. Good karma points! And panhandle I'm very curious as to how BJ and Tyler managed to collect $300 from passengers on their plane could just be their natural charm, but TV cameras following them probably didn't hurt.

Barry, upon seeing the hostel: "This race has ruined our sex life, I'll tell you that." While I am happy for you guys I so did not need that image. Watching the teams navigate their tandem bikes was fun; throughout the leg MoJo continued their ugly talk. Did I miss something? Supposedly, BJ and Tyler threatened to yield them if they didn't donate, but that was probably said in jest. At the time. :) Now, it seems MoJo has flamed the fires into a real battle. Monica, darling, the guys may still think you are hot but lay off my hippies.

I don't really have anything to say about that boring detour. Nice beach? The prison roadblock would have been a whole lot more interesting if the search inside the tunnels were as hard as the search FOR the tunnels.

So sad for Fran and Barry, coming in last and being eliminated, it really came down to the cab ride and did not have anything to do with youth or strength. Best wishes Fran and Barry you were real fighters, without ever saying a mean word to each other.

Now all we can do is hope there are some mental challenges ahead cause as much as I honestly do like the remaining teams most of them, when engaged in a battle of wits would be seriously unarmed.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angel said:
So sad for Fran and Barry, coming in last and being eliminated, it really came down to the cab ride and did not have anything to do with youth or strength. Best wishes Fran and Barry you were real fighters, without ever saying a mean word to each other.

That is what sucked - if Franbarry's cab had been there, they would not have been eliminated.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I truly dislike MoJo. She whines too much.

Still love the hippies. I hope they DO yield MoJo.

Am tired of hearing the frat boys and their hooking-up-with-girls rhetoric. It's way old.

Fran and Barry ... what a race! Never a harsh word said to each other once. Good for you two! Now go have sex, lol!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - three-way footrace for 2-4. Hippies come in last - will BJ have to run the race without shoes?