The 6 Wins Debate

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The board is on its usual vacation. Makes sense. Not much football to talk about, hockey playoffs in full effect, NBA playoffs in full effect, MLB in full swing.

Not much happening in the NFL except for rookie camps.

Yet, a really good topic on this board has been the "On paper" judgements of how many wins this current group can have.

SBF had a great poll: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...n-how-many-will-cards-win-in-13-a-194808.html

The poll is showing most of the posters on this board are looking at 6 to 8 wins.

I think that is more than fair when you look at this roster. But, I want to have a personal stamp on this post. I say 6 wins.

As it stands right now, I do not think this team wins more than 6 games. Not to say that is a bad thing. This team is rebuilding. The Cardinals would be fools for saying so in public, but it is what it is.

In my opinion, the Cardinals started to "open a window" for a time of about 4 years starting this offseason. Carson Palmer is going to be 34 in December. I think a plan of getting the foundation of this team this year, and making a push for 2 seaons afterwards is a good goal. I also think the Cardinals have put together a group of players this year that will give the Cardinals a good chance to really compete the following two season. If they get a QBOF, then we can start talking about a consistent winner. But, I digress, we are talking about the upcoming season.

So why 6 wins ? Because there are so many questions on the roster. Mitch is currently posting a blurb about every player and their potential. If the stars align for said player, Mitch is giving a good description of what they can bring to the team. But this is all speculation, just as I am speculating about players as well. The point is, until they are "on the grass" there is a group of players that we just don't know if they are going to be able to cut it. (ability wise...not the grass, save that job for Buster Davis)

So taking a look at this team:

Quarterback: Carson Palmer & Drew Stanton
Diagnosis: Good chance to help increase win total.

- Huge upgrade for this team. Gigantic. Not saying Carson Palmer is elite but he is way better then what we witnessed since Warner left. Not to mention Drew Stanton, who at one time was the starter for this team, is probably better then Kevin Kolb. This groups is going to be more of a reason that the Cardinals win 6 games or more then anything else. Carson Palmer can play this game, and I think the best point that any supporter of Palmer has stated is that he will for the first time be playing with some professional NFL quality recievers. Where I am scared about having Palmer ? He is old, which I believe opens him up for injury, and that our interior line, while vastly improved, still has HUGE question marks within it.

Runningback: Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington
Diagnosis: Clear as mud on how it will help/hurt this team.

- Now this is more the topic I wanted to get into. There are questions about every single player in this group. I am going to start with Rashard Mendenhall, whom is a enigma. I don't care about Mr. Mendenhall's politics and off-field busines. I JUST DON'T CARE. On the grass, we are talking about a running back who has produced in the NFL, in the current head coach's system, at an elite level in the NFL. Mendenhall is 25 years old, and can be a three down RB. He can take it to the house, run with power, pass block, and know the system. Yet, that is ALL potential. He is coming off two bad years in Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh is looking for a good running back as I type this. Thus it is not a given Mendenhall will be what he once was. Thus it is nothing to hang our hats on, IMO.

We follow that up with Ryan Williams who must have contracted the Early Doucet disease of glass bones. Potential, potential, potential. I guess. Haven't seen anything out of a guy who has been nothing but hurt, ala Tommy Knight and Duane Starks. Williams, IMO, is at the bottom of the depth chart right now. He better be willing to play special teams cause I would be shocked if the Cardinals have him a lock for a roster spot this offseason. He has done NOTHING so far, and is a HUGE question mark.

Finally, we have two promising running backs that were drafted late in the draft. Thus if there are late round draft picks there is a reason for that. Personally, I think Stepfan Taylor is the running back for this squad in the future. Love his attitude and how he plays. He is a leader, and does his job. Andre Ellington. I have been trying to be cynical about this kid on purpose in an effort to find out why he was drafted so late. You look at the tape, and "HOLY MOLY" this guy can run the rock.

Notice I don't even bring William Powell or Alfonso Smith to the discussion. If they beat out the 4 other players on this list.....we are in trouble. I like William Powell but right off the bat, he is not better than Taylor or Ellington...on paper at least.

But case in point. The running back comitee may be the best example of how this team could have 4 really good running back, or just as easily be looking at an empty cubbard by seasons end with no prospect on the roster. That is how up in the air not only the running back spot is, but most of this roster. It is not Bruce Arians fault he came into Arizona with practically NOTHING there.

Wide Reciever: Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Roberts, Michael Floyd, Ryan Swope, LaRon Byrd*
Diagnosis: If the Cardinals get the ball in these guy's hands it will help the win total very much.

I put LaRon Byrd in there because I feel he is a perfect 5th WR, and probably would be higher on a depth chart for other teams......like the Raiders. Our wide receivers, I could have just looked over this group. I have a lot of confidence in our wide receivers. I am trying to let Michael Floyd not be a 1st round pick, but just another player for the Caridnals, thus not be upset when he is a depth guy for life, which is no bad thing if he can pull of big plays. It takes 11 guys for Carson Palmer to throw and complete a pass to a receiver. Thus I have no issues that if you take the TE, RB, and OL out of the equation, our QB and WR combo can match any in the league.

Tight Ends: Jeff King, Rob Housler, DC Jefferson, Jim Dray
Diagnosis: Very average, with more potential to hurt then help

The way I see it. Jeff King has to come back to this 2011 form for the Cardinals to have a TE that can do what an NFL TE has to in this league. I can see Jim Dray playing a lot of H-Back for the Cardinals if he stays healthy with that bad knee of his. Rob Houlser. I am done talking about him. Guy has to show me that the MASSIVE ANNUAL HYPE he recieves is warranted. No more excuses this year, he has a QB to get him the ball. The Cardinals sacrifice A LOT when Housler is out there because he is a worse blocker then Michael Floyd, and has yet to counter balance his weakness, with his so called strength which is pass catching. DC Jefferson ? Big, big question mark. I was very unimpressed with Jefferson at Rutgers, and don't expect anything out of him this year. Personally, I think the Cardinals should be looking to bring in tight end help but that list of tight end free agents is thin, really thin. This could be a problem.

Offensive Line: Levi Brown, Bobby Massie, Daryn Colledge, Lyle Sendlein, Nate Potter
Diagnosis: Foggy with sunlight in the distance, but in the upcoming season, more stuggles and the main reason for a projection of about 6 wins.

I am not trying to bash the Cardinals and their offensive line for the ..... oh goodness ..... 20th season in row. They improved their offensive line this year. I am a firm believer in Bobby Massie, and a believer in Jonathan Cooper. I feel between Levi Brown and Nate Potter we will have a LT who is "good enough" Yet, we have two weak links in Daryn Colledge and Lyle Sendlein. Those two are going to really bring this team down and hold them back. Our tackles are not good enough to stone wall outside rushers, but I believe are good enough to ride them outside the pocket. One problem. There has to be a pocket. I really, really hope Cooper is strong enough, this year, to hold up, but no matter cause I firmly believe, even if Cooper has problems this year with power, he will be powerfull enough next season. Colledge and Sendlein are veterans, they are what they are. They cave in quicker then a sandcastle on Memorial day. It is bad. Is there hope of maybe a Nate Potter going to guard ? Sure, but that is an unknown quantity in itself. No one is replacing Sendlein this season, so he will be there regardless, and maybe will fit better in Arians offensive scheme. But, it is Levi Brown who is what he is, Colledge who is what he is, Sendelien who is what he is, a rookie in Cooper, and the brightest spot on the line Bobby Massie whom I feel with lock up the RT position for a long time this year. I know there is Senio Kelemete and Earl Watford, but the best six offensive linemen for THIS SEASON are above, and that is what this team will have to work with. It is not too promising for me. I think they will struggle, and be what holds the team back. But to end on a positive, there is potential for this offensive line to be one player away from being good, very good, or dare I say an asset to this team.

Defensive COACHING: Todd Bowles and an army of assistant coaches.
Diagnosis: Some pretty big shoes to fill

I am in the group of fans that believes Ray Horton, his scheme, and the defense from last season was elite. Top of the league. There is a reason why it was painful, and messy to let Ray Horton go. There is a reason he was unemployed for literally 10 minutes. I have been wringing my hands ever since. You take last year's defense, and put it with the potential of this year's offense, and I would be talking about playoffs in the up and coming season. Horton's scheme created a pass rusher, the talent on the back end locked down and shut down the top QB's in the game last year. There were problems against the run for sure, but yards are yards. Yards don't win games, points do, and besides the shillacking in Seattle this defense didn't give up a lot of point last year.

Todd Bowles came in and cleaned out the secondary that was so good last year, added youth in the linebacking core, and took a flyer on some questionable OLBers. We will see. One thing I really do like about Todd Bowles is that the majority of his offseason moves were beefing up the depth of the defensive line that was already extremely talented.

Defensive Line: Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett, Dan Williams, David Carter, Matt Shaunessey, Frostee Rucker, Ricky Lumpkin, Padric Scott
Diagnosis: Better then last year, if that is even possible. Will help our win total, and may surprisingly REALLY help our win total.

That is some depth right there. Campbell and Dockett are going to be allowed to go hunt, which is huge. There skill and size are a rarity to have on one line. I really like what is going on with Dan Williams, Ricky Lumpkin, and Pardric Scott. Ricky Lumpkin you ask, yeah, I liked what he did when he played last season and if Scott beats him out, even for a practice squad spot, that will be a good thing for depth behind Williams. The guy I think will be very valuable is Matt Shaunessey who can play DE in a 3-4, OLBer in a 3-4 or DE in a 4-3. I watched him a bit with the Raiders and the guy can play. He has starter skill, especially against the run where this group was weak last year. I expect big things out of this defensive line. While last year Horton did it will scheme, finesse, and a reliance on the defensive backs, I think this current group can dominate up front and eleviate pressure on the back end.

OLB/Rush Linebackers: Sam Acho, Lorenzo Alexander, Alex Okafor, O'Brien Schofield, Dan Giordano
Diagnosis: No scheme, no pass rush, no good. Second only to the offensive line when it comes to holding this team back.

I dunno. That is a suspect line of pass rushers. Sam Acho and Alex Okafor (unless he is a HUGE surprise) are better all around linebacker types. A few sacks here and there, but better in coverage, against the run, and will make big plays but not so much sacks. Lorenzon Alexander ? There is a lot of hype about this guy, but he is a career special teams guy with a crazy NFL background. Once a defensive lineman, and then a 4-3 DE, and now a OLBer. He is a good athlete and verstile, but is he an answer to rush the passer as a starter in the NFL, as a OLBer in a 3-4 ? That is A LOT to expect out of a player who is 29 years old and never had more then 58 tackles or 2.5 sacks in a season. O'Brien Schofield is a huge question mark. At best he will be what we saw last year, but that is not too much to hang your hat on, and again IF he is as good as he was last year. He got hurt....again....last season and has to come back from that injury. If it were not for the lack of depth, and talent at this position he would have been cut this offseason. Schofield is in the final year of his contact, that could be a good thing, but again he is a HUGE question mark just to be status quo. Yeah, you know it! I add Dan Giordano cause I really like this kid. He is an UDFA and I may look very foolish a few months from now if/when he is cut early, but the potential is there. He is a Kyle Vanden-Bosch type with a high motor, high effort, and big time attitude. He has only played DE in colledge but if he makes the roster it is because he can get after the QB.

Thus while there is a big time question on whether this unit will do what it needs to, the reality is, on paper we have two solid OLB'ers who lack pass rushing ability. We have two big, huge, enormous question marks in Alexander and Schofield and a long short UDFA. Not to say they can't live up to potential, but the odds are stacked against them.

Inside Linebacker: Daryl Washington, Karlos Dansby, Jasper Brinkley, Kevin Minter, Reggie Walker
Diagnosis: Dansby pulls it all together. This position has improved greatly

When a team brings in three guys that are better then one of the better players at the position last year it is going to be an improvement. After bashing the heck out of the guy, I am a huge Reggie Walker fan. Reggie Walker can play and start in this league. He won't be doing so for this team however. Jasper Brinkley and Kevin Minter are going to be that "Gerald Hayes" role in the 3-4. Big, strong, stock, extremely good between the tackles and against the run. Brinkley will be the stop gap, and Minter will be the future of the position. My hope is that Reggie Walker can be the depth guy behind Minter in the future. This will be something we have lacked in the past. Lenon and Steward Bradley were battling against Reggie Walker last year, and would be behind Brinkley and Minter if still on the team. Remember being weak against the run ? Well, remember it because it won't be the case this year.

Now onto the position of strength. Daryl Washington is a stud. He smoked pot, and has women problems. I am not touching that situation cause I am not one to judge those two things. On the field Washington is a beast, but with him gone for four games what are the Cardinals going to do ? Hello, Karlos Dansby. Dansby solidifies the position, and not only does he do that. When Washington comes back ? Our nickel package is going to be the envy of the league. Dansby is a very good coverage linebacker, and so is Washington. They can keep up with TE's and running backs. They can run with those athletic QB's, and what is best is Dansby has the size that Washington doesn't and will hold up better against the run if out on the field with just Washington. This group can really help out the whole defensive and bring Todd Bowles defense to the level of yester year.

Cornerback: Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Antoine Cason, Jamel Flemming, Justin Bethel
Diagnosis: The potential to be better then last year, but the potential to be worse then last year.

Patrick Peterson is not the problem. I don't agree with many that Peterson is overrated. Even Revis gets beat here and there. Just look at the plays Peterson made last year, especially the INT in the back of the endzone versus the Rams which with an actual NFL offensive would have been a HUGE play. Big as I have ever seen made. No problems there. The question is how good is Jerraud Powers, or Antoine Cason. Is Jamel Flemming worth a darn ? Justin Bethel is a special teams ace, and I think locks onto that 5th spot.

So is Jerraud Powers, Antoine Cason, or Jamel Flemming going to step up ? The competition is there, but is was there last year as well with Gay, Toler, and Flemming. Cason has a name tied to him but does his play back it up? Powers started for the Colts, but cornerback was not a strength for that team. Finally, can Flemming play the part that flashed here and there last season ? I simply don't know. It is one of those huge question marks that keeps this team around 6 wins. Because if the cornerbacks are not a strength then this secondary is going to struggle.

Safety: Yeremiah Bell, Rashad Johnson Tyrann Mathieu, Tony Jefferson
Diagnosis: On paper this squad took two big steps back

I don't count Mathieu as a pure safety. I count him as the nickel back player for this team. Not to mention he hasn't been on a football field, in a game in a year. Not to mention he is a rookie, and not to mention he is still a big risk to make it out on the field at all.

From the rumors and whispers I have read on the internet, Yeremiah Bell will be the FS, and Rashard Johnson will be the SS. I still don't understand the reasoning of signing Yeremiah Bell to start at age 35, and cutting Adrian Wilson who is 33 years old. If there is any mistake the Cardinals made this year, it was releasing Adrian Wilson before knowing the situation with Kerry Rhodes, and then releasing Rhodes. Because of that mistake there is a HUGE talent void at this position. If it were for how important a pass rush is in the NFL this would be the 2nd, and not the 3rd biggest problem on this roster. It doesn't take a rocket science to figure out the weak ponit of this team right now. No pass rush, and sub-average safety play leads to big plays down the field. I hope Rashad Johnson has worked on his tackling angles because he had some HUGE mistakes against the run, and questionable tackling. Tony Jefferson has a lot of hype around him but is in the same situation as Dan Giordano, so there is a reason why he didn't get drafted. Like the tight end position, I would really like the Cardinals to bring in some help for this position. Rhodes is not an option, but at some point Charles Woodson has to be thought about, IMO.

There you have it. Out of all the position we have on this roster, I can only have 100% confidence in the ability of the wide recievers, defensive line, and inside linebackers. The rest is way too up in the air, or in the case of the QB to reliant on what is up in the air to say this is a playoff team, or .500 football team. Too many situations where the odds are stacked against the players who need to step it up at their positions. Too many veterans to expect to all of a sudden change into better players on the back side of their careers.

Not saying this team is going to suck. Not at all. I believe they will be competitive, and more consistently competitive then in year's past. My expectations of this season is very simple. To answer the questions at certain positions, and to improve.

Now, go ahead and debate why we will have more or less then 6 wins next season. But, IMO each side will have have good rational for their argument given the very wide range of possibilities this roster, and coaching staff has to offer at this point and time.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer should be good for at least 1 more win for crying out loud. Losing to the Rams twice last year was bad... I mean really bad. Just the fact that we're hoping to get better Oline play should make a big difference.

I somehow have the feeling that having Dansby back will help the secondary. His being able to play the middle should be a big plus. If he still has any kind of range, his run support to the outside should help to take some pressure off the safety positions.

Rugby, I really appreciate the work you put into your posts.

Thanks

/

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Cardinals started to "open a window" for a time of about 4 years starting this offseason. Carson Palmer is going to be 34 in December. I think a plan of getting the foundation of this team this year, and making a push for 2 seaons afterwards is a good goal. I also think the Cardinals have put together a group of players this year that will give the Cardinals a good chance to really compete the following two season. If they get a QBOF, then we can start talking about a consistent winner. But, I digress, we are talking about the upcoming season.

I don't think teams in the NFL have this luxury. They have to compete now. So I don't see them consciously planning for 2014. They're making the moves to compete this fall.

They have plenty of veteran players and a solid QB which is what you need to win. What they also have are 20+ veterans who are new to Arizona. And while Kiem and Ariens surely think they can win now I just don't see it with that much turnover.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't think teams in the NFL have this luxury. They have to compete now. So I don't see them consciously planning for 2014. They're making the moves to compete this fall.

They have plenty of veteran players and a solid QB which is what you need to win. What they also have are 20+ veterans who are new to Arizona. And while Kiem and Ariens surely think they can win now I just don't see it with that much turnover.

I get what you are saying. Just think it is unrealistic to think a team hits on all the changes, and assumptions they make when bringing in new players.

The Cardinals may want to think, say, and try to be competitive for the playoffs and beyond this year, but reality is saying otherwise.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Nice writeup. Curious as to your insight on the Offensive coaching staff, as well as Special Teams.

Oh - and because I'm anal retentive - it's "empty cupboard", not "empty cubbard".

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nice writeup. Curious as to your insight on the Offensive coaching staff, as well as Special Teams.

Whiz, Grimm, and the old regime:

I blame Kurt Warner. Warner masked a lot of what was wrong about Whiz, and Grimm, and the old coaching staff. When you look at what Whizenhunt did in Arizona, you have to give him credit for setting up a good routine, structure, and system for a team to follow. Whiz took the talent that Dennis Green and company brought into the organization, and organized it, coached it, and showed it how to win.

Unfortunately, he was hindered by the second coming of Joe Greene in Russ Grimm who is a HORRIBLE coach. He was hindered in his ability to find, evaluate, groom and coach a QB. He was hindered by his lack of ability, and the lack of ability of his co-workers to evaluate talent.

Needless to say, Whiz was a decent coach, a great organization but a HORRIBLE evaluator of talent.

There is an improvement on the offensive side of the ball coaching wise. I believe Bruce Arians has a system that may believe in. He has great coaches surrounding him, and a QB in Palmer that can thrive in his system. I think the new approach to teaching, and coaching the talent will improve the offense.

The main concern with the offense is the talent itself. You can coach up players all you want, but if a player's ceiling is below the NFL talent floor you got a problem that you simply cannot fix with coaching.

After this draft, and free agency, I believe the talent evaluation is much improved so that when the team succeeds we can have confidence the team will improve, and not digress like it did under Whiz. Not to mention I feel the Cardinals have the potential to bring in players and see them improve. Unlike Whiz who when he brought in a player (unless you are talking Paris Lenon) you got what you seen from the past from said player.

Again, it is a lot of new faces, concepts and variables. My assumption that the offensive coaching has improved is only an assumption. Time will tell.

Oh - and because I'm anal retentive - it's "empty cupboard", not "empty cubbard".

Good. I only speak math and numbers. English is my second language

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i more blame the old regime on not recruiting top coaching talent after the playoff runs. When whiz came here everyone on his staff was condiered over qualified. When he left he had garbage like miller running the offense. You can get picked apart after a bowl run but have to recruit new talent, not promote scrubs to your most important coaching spots.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Really good read Rugby.

I agree with you on pretty much everything you said. But I feel our corners will be better. With improved dline play the secondary should benefit.

OLBs are not much to write about, but I think the position has still been upgraded from last year.

I don't think Bell will be much of a drop off from ADub, love the guy but he didn't do much last year.
Losing Rhodes however is a huge drop off. I wish they would bring him back.

Palmer is a huge upgrade. Again not elite but a good QB. Biggest impact position. Will make the entire team better. Defense can rest. We may see Floyd and Housler's potential reached.

Oline is improved, hoping Colledge moves to RG maybe he will be more effective on the other side. Isn't LG the harder position? Potter and Brown are both better than the garbage we started the season with.

RBs even as unknow as they all are. I think Wells was flat out bad, and we have a full stable of potential this yea. Upgrade imo.

I know were in a very good division. But I feel we have upgraded or stayed the same every position other than FS. Its hard to judge how well we will do with an entire new staff. But it can't be worse that square peg in a round hole Whiz.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Really good read Rugby.

I agree with you on pretty much everything you said. But I feel our corners will be better. With improved dline play the secondary should benefit.

OLBs are not much to write about, but I think the position has still been upgraded from last year.

I don't think Bell will be much of a drop off from ADub, love the guy but he didn't do much last year.
Losing Rhodes however is a huge drop off. I wish they would bring him back.

Palmer is a huge upgrade. Again not elite but a good QB. Biggest impact position. Will make the entire team better. Defense can rest. We may see Floyd and Housler's potential reached.

Oline is improved, hoping Colledge moves to RG maybe he will be more effective on the other side. Isn't LG the harder position? Potter and Brown are both better than the garbage we started the season with.

RBs even as unknow as they all are. I think Wells was flat out bad, and we have a full stable of potential this yea. Upgrade imo.

I know were in a very good division. But I feel we have upgraded or stayed the same every position other than FS. Its hard to judge how well we will do with an entire new staff. But it can't be worse that square peg in a round hole Whiz.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Muffin-----I believe that your assessment is very fair. I hope that it turns out to be wrong, (or at least is somewhat less accurate than I believe it to be). That would leave us having a slightly better season in the W/L column than you predicted, but then you pretty much nailed it when you said that we would be expecting veteran players to suddenly become better than they have been over time. That is not likely to happen.

At the same time, there is reason to believe in the future of this team. Much of that is tied to the potential that is brought by the rookie class this year, and by just how much they are able to contribute THIS season. If the drafted players all stick, and make normal progress, we should start seeing the effects of that after the bye. The biggest exception to that might be at RB, where the potential could come to the fore right away. That is about the only place that I can truly expect impact, (without significant learning curve expectations), right from the very start of the season. Whether or not it will be enough to impact the outcome of games that early is yet to be determined.

Purely from a fan standpoint, I believe that the flashes of brilliance that this rookie class will provide, will come often enough to make us salivate for the future of this franchise. Yes, there will be warts to go along with the bright spots, but those should be expected from rookies as part of the growing process. I still am confident that this rookie class will keep us coming back for more, and that as the season progresses, we will become quite competitive. Even then, the wins and losses will most likely play out as you surmised.

Thanks for the work-up. It was thoughtful, and yet somewhat painfully predictable, as your work has shown. That doesn't mean we will be disappointed though, provided that we don't place unwarranted expectations on the staff to produce what they most likely cannot do. I really do believe that the future of this particular roster, given the coaching staff, and the ability of the FO to contribute again next off-season, is going to be like night and day. When it comes together, probably next season, it is going to be something to behold. I can't wait.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think we've upgraded our OL/QB situation and we remained flat or downgraded every other position on the roster. Couple that with the loss of several team leaders and having to learn new systems, and I can see this team treading water this season. The offense will take a step forward. The D will take one step back (I am assuming DWASH is a goner for this season). Special teams gives us more of the same.

5-6 wins is about all we should expect, I think, unless the injury bug decimates the rest of the NFCW and we win by default.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think we've upgraded our OL/QB situation and we remained flat or downgraded every other position on the roster. Couple that with the loss of several team leaders and having to learn new systems, and I can see this team treading water this season. The offense will take a step forward. The D will take one step back (I am assuming DWASH is a goner for this season). Special teams gives us more of the same.

5-6 wins is about all we should expect, I think, unless the injury bug decimates the rest of the NFCW and we win by default.
I personally think we have upgraded the RB position (by adding a player just as good as Beanie and getting more depth at the position).

I think the speed that Swope brings to the team automatically makes the receiving core a little better.

ILB position got better by the additions of Brinkley, Dansby and Minter, but this will rely on DWash only missing the 4 games.

I also feel like we will see an upgrade in the CB position with the additions of Cason and Powers.

The pass rush may get better simply from changing schemes (letting CC and DD get after the QB more often), but this will be a definite wait and see situation. Also I do like Okafor, but I don't necessarily see him as a great pass rusher, but he could be good enough to be a slight upgrade over what we had.

Special Teams should be improved simply by bringing in TM and LA. TM may also allow PP to focus more on his most important position at CB by taking over his returning duties.

Though I love the ball-hawking nature of TM I don't know how good he will be at FS in his rookie season, but he does give us some big play possibilities on the back end of the defense. Overall I would personally say that Safety is the only position we took a step back at. Jefferson (though undrafted) could also be a good pickup as well. Yeremiah Bell is no slouch either, but still a bit of a step down from ADub.

Edit: To make a guess I will go with 9 wins.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm going with 7 wins this season simply based on upgrading QB/OL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The biggest problems on this roster are at OLB and Safety. You can cover up for a bad natural pass rush (three or four rushers who can beat single-blocking) by blitzing more frequently, but in order to do so, you need....

.... Wait for it.....

....Good safety play! We're not going to have that. Yeremiah Bell isn't as good as Robert Griffith was back in the day, and Rashad Johnson absolutely maxes out at average. That's just not going to be good enough.

Replacing three QBs who actively take wins off the table is going to help a D that probably played better than they needed to last year.

IMO, this is a high-floor/low ceiling team. With our schedule of opponents, I can make the argument for 9 wins, but it's really difficult for me to say that we'll win fewer than 5 or 6.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
IMO, this is a high-floor/low ceiling team. With our schedule of opponents, I can make the argument for 9 wins, but it's really difficult for me to say that we'll win fewer than 5 or 6.

Interesting.

If the team wasn't so young, and had so much turn over maybe. I think we are going to give a few games away in the 1st part of the season.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
I'm going with 5 or 6 wins also. Mostly because the OL is still a work in progress.

My biggest problem with the OL is Sendlein. He gets pushed back too often cause the entire pocket to collapse. He is now returning from injury, so at least this year, I expect a drop in performance at OC.

I also though that when Snyder moved to OC, the OL started to do better. Since he has been cut, that is not an option.

If the Cards could get an improvement at OC over Sendlein, then this year's team could be quite good. Sendlein is too much an injury risk and question mark this year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Interesting.

If the team wasn't so young, and had so much turn over maybe. I think we are going to give a few games away in the 1st part of the season.

The team is not young. With the addition of Dansby only two players will likely start who won't be in at least their 3rd season in the NFL. 3 if Floyd moves ahead of Roberts. But yes the high number of new players will hold them back at least initially.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Then please do so.

The path to 9 wins starts by going 3-3 in the division. You have to beat St. Louis twice and at least one other of four games between Seattle and San Francisco.

You have to beat inferior teams on the road. You just have to. With Carson Palmer, I think we should be able to beat three of Jacksonville, Tampa, Tennessee, and Philly. That's six wins.

You have to play tough at home, and sometimes outperform against equivalent or slightly superior competition. At UofP, the Cards should be able to beat three of Detroit, Carolina, Houston, and Indy. That's nine wins.

But I think it's nine wins and out of the playoffs, because I think we could go 3-1 against the AFC South, and those wins aren't as valuable, because the entire division might only lose four games against the AFC South. That division is garbage.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in today's NFL draft, teams aren't as willing to draft RBs high, unless they are blue chip talent. The list of solid and even great RBs drafted in the later rounds is long. After the blue-chips, all RBs have warts. RBs are a dime a dozen these days, it seems.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think in today's NFL draft, teams aren't as willing to draft RBs high, unless they are blue chip talent. The list of solid and even great RBs drafted in the later rounds is long. After the blue-chips, all RBs have warts. RBs are a dime a dozen these days, it seems.

Interesting that of the top 10 RBs in yards last season 4 were drafted in the first round and 6 in later rounds.

Meanwhile the Cards can't find a RB in any round. :(