The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas had them on the ropes, threatening to run them out of the gum up 17, but the Thunder had a nice little spurt to end the half to keep it a game.

These teams are so much better than us. It’s crazy to think Dallas only won 1 more game than our team trainwreck.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This quarter has been rough to watch. These guys must be a combined 1-12 from three since half time and they just keep lazily chucking em up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Offense always beats defense.

If you doubt that look at how Jokic is working Gobert.
I don’t think that’s a good comp. Gobert is DPOY not for his on ball defense but for his deterrence at the rim. Both Barkley and shaq have stated they’d always rather be guarded by the shotblocker because then they know where he is. They can feel him. And they can score on him. It’s the shotblocker that’s not on ball that’s the danger.

That said I DO agree with you that offense almost always beats defense. Unless it’s Booker with the ball and he’s got to hit a final shot and it’s butler, the kid from the wolves, Josh green, or thybulle guarding him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OKC should try and make a move for someone like JJJ this off-season. A big PF who can help Chet guard the paint. The sky is the limit if they can get someone like that. Unfortunately there aren't many around anymore.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Except Hakeem was also GREAT on offense. Whereas Jokic is merely… okay on defense? Hakeem could dominate on both ends of the floor.

The other impressive thing about both is they consistently raised their games in the playoffs.
He couldn’t carry an entire offense like jokic. Jokic is next level as a full offense fulcrum. No other center has ever come close to doing what he does offensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OKC should try and make a move for someone like JJJ this off-season. A big PF who can help Chet guard the paint. The sky is the limit if they can get someone like that. Unfortunately there aren't many around anymore.
And I think they still have a ton of assets to do so. But Memphis still fancies themselves contenders so I doubt they do any deal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I think they still have a ton of assets to do so. But Memphis still fancies themselves contenders so I doubt they do any deal.

They'd have to pay a real premium because Memphis is delusional but there aren't a lot of PF/C's out there now who fit that mold. Bam Abedyo would be a great get for them but that will cost more, likely. I think OKC needs to push their chips in and make a move this off-season to take that next step. They still have a half dozen extra picks coming to them and a plethora of young talent already at G and on the wings.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They're really bad on the glass and JJJ is a rather lousy rebounder.

If Cleveland decides to blow it up then Allen would be a good fit in OKC.

Or we could ship em Nurk!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Heres an article detailing what OKC has in terms of draft capital. They're beyond loaded.

They can't possibly use all those on picks for their team. They would have to trade some they have now for some in the future. Even trading for players, they would have to do a couple KD type trades to pair down that stash.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
when stars want their challenges they often get their challenges - is that smart coaching or is it placating?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can't possibly use all those on picks for their team. They would have to trade some they have now for some in the future. Even trading for players, they would have to do a couple KD type trades to pair down that stash.

I'd trade them for more draft picks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They've done a good job of flipping picks for future picks to keep their war chest full. They also rent cap space regularly.

They have a quantity of picks but not sure how quality they are.

They're pretty good quality. Of course they can't develop everyone but it allows them to take risks on high upside low floor players when they're there. Plus when dealing picks its more quantity than quality. No one knows how good picks will be 4-5 years down the road.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hard to say, but that Jokic performance on Tuesday was truly one for the ages, to use a trite expression. It was incredible, especially against the four-time Defensive Player of the Year.
I don’t think gobert is worthy of being a four time defensive player of the year.

When it’s all said and done joker may be the best. But for now Hakeem is the best foreign player of all time IMO. And it hurts me to say that because I think dirk was a great scorer, particularly in the clutch. Dirk did what Brunson is doing now in 2011 against OKC. And dirk evolved the game for bigs.

Hakeem is forgotten for some reason. Before he won his titles he was great. But he was amazing those 2 years. He had that big block against the knicks that saved their championship. He could do it all. Clearly better than shaq and Duncan imo because he was a better at both ends of the court than all of them in every way.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
They are both great players.

Like I said earlier, Akeem is still a little ahead in ppg, although it's extremely unlikely that will hold up over the career. So, yeah, his offense is being underrated here.

I am probably overstating how much of a better rebounder Akeem was. But, on the other hand, look at who he had to match up with compared to Jokic's competition. The center position isn't nearly as deep as it used to be. Akeem led the league in rebounding twice, which Jokic has yet to do. And, probably won't because he plays on the outside so much. But his three point game is WAY better than Akeem. Not that Akeem never made them, but that was not his forte.
Hakeem could make 3’s. He was an incredible shooter. He rarely stepped out there though. His fade away was incredible.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Jokic is like… Shaq meets Nash. He not only dominates his matchup but he makes everyone around him better.

Of the bigs in my life I am not sure who I’d take over him. He’s right up there with Shaq Akeem and Duncan, who all dominated in totally different styles.
Good way to point it out. They are very different. I think Duncan, shaq, and Hakeem were all deadly in the low post. Hakeem was a better shooter. He was as good or better of a defender than all of them.