The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who’s ahead of him at PG. I think Lillard is the only guy is argue.

Lillard for sure. I also think Luka, Harden, and Chris Paul were all better than him this last season. I don't like Chris Paul but what he helped OKC accomplish was a huge surprise that showed his true value, IMO. Thats 4 guys ahead of him already. Curry might be also but since he missed almost the whole season, I won't list him.

Add Lebron, Giannis, AD, Jokic, and Kawhi and you're at 9 guys ahead of Murray. I wouldn't argue he's better than any of them right now, he probably will surpass some with time though.

Some debatable names are Butler, Tatum, and Embiid. I think I'd have all 3 ahead of Murray also and that takes him from the top 10 players right now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lillard for sure. I also think Luka, Harden, and Chris Paul were all better than him this last season. I don't like Chris Paul but what he helped OKC accomplish was a huge surprise that showed his true value, IMO. Thats 4 guys ahead of him already. Curry might be also but since he missed almost the whole season, I won't list him.

Add Lebron, Giannis, AD, Jokic, and Kawhi and you're at 9 guys ahead of Murray. I wouldn't argue he's better than any of them right now, he probably will surpass some with time though.

Some debatable names are Butler, Tatum, and Embiid. I think I'd have all 3 ahead of Murray also and that takes him from the top 10 players right now.

I said at PG

I wouldn’t take Harden, Giannis, Paul or Embiid over him at all

Harden and Giannis can’t be viewed as stars anymore in my opinion both flame out when it matters most. Regular season wins and points that’s cute but playoffs is where it matters most. I think Giannis is more a case of him being used wrong but still.

Embiid is to hot and cold for me. He’s flat out lazy at points and being in shape is always a question.

Paul is damn good but at this point in his career it’s more glimpses of greatness than a nightly thing and that’s certainly no shame he’s been in the league forever.

Denver was the 2 seed last year these guys didn’t just get good. Playoffs matter to me and the way Murray is balling out when it matters most says a lot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contract extension with Masai Ujiri not discussed as yet with Raptors owbership.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ben Simmons = 3rd team, but Booker does not? What a travesty. Especially on an underachieving team like the Sixers.
As underachieving as they were they were still a playoff team and he’s a recognized excellent defender.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As underachieving as they were they were still a playoff team and he’s a recognized excellent defender.
In the East. The Suns would have been in the playoffs too if they were in the East. Even with as up and down we were in the regular season.

I’ll concede the defensive superiority.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In the East. The Suns would have been in the playoffs too if they were in the East. Even with as up and down we were in the regular season.

I’ll concede the defensive superiority.
While I agree with the probability of that, it’s still conjecture whereas the sizers actually did it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While I agree with the probability of that, it’s still conjecture whereas the sizers actually did it.
The Sixers played a majority of Eastern Conference opponents. The Suns played Western Conference opponents. That alone makes a difference IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Sixers played a majority of Eastern Conference opponents. The Suns played Western Conference opponents. That alone makes a difference IMO.
I don’t think anyone is ever going to win an award based on woulda coulda shoulda or strength of schedule.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
he’s definitely a pure shooting guard and he was an all star this year. He gets plenty of props around the league
For the record, DBook was an injury replacement. He was not voted to the All Star team by the fans.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is ever going to win an award based on woulda coulda shoulda or strength of schedule.
I think the quality of opponents taken over an entire breadth of a season is at least somewhat important. If Devin Booker played in the Eastern Conference, do you not think his numbers would go up?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the quality of opponents taken over an entire breadth of a season is at least somewhat important. If Devin Booker played in the Eastern Conference, do you not think his numbers would go up?
I think another couple assists on average, maybe 5 more points to his average.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's actually a pretty big bump.
I agree. Where Booker is at now, those are Dwayne Wade numbers. So to push above that says a lot. I think if he did play the East Coast it would be a bump. Look at what happens when we play East Coast teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get what the big deal is on Booker and the voting. This voting only included games played through March 11th. Prior to that 8 game winning streak, there was a national perception (echoed on this board frequently) that Book was overrated and his numbers came at the expense of wins. The bubble altered that perception for many but it came too late to show up for NBA awards and special team selections.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enes Kanter getting playing time in first half for Celtics. He has produced 9 points and 6 rebounds.

Celtics lead 52-39.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics ahead at halftime 60-47.

Kemba Walkers leads Celtics with 14 points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see Gordon Hayward passing up a $34,187,085 million player option for next season.

He could be back during series with Heat. So much was expected when he signed with the Celtics.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the Suns had the scouts of the Heat. Kendrick Nunn and Duncan Robinson weren't even drafted.

Daniel Theis of the Celtics wasn't drafted either.

I may be missing a few players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad Wanamaker wasn't drafted.

We know Dragic was a second round pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t know. I suppose you could look at his number against eastern conference foes if you think there’s an argument to be made there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat outscore the Celtics by 20 in 3rd quarter and lead 84-77.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wish the Suns had the scouts of the Heat. Kendrick Nunn and Duncan Robinson weren't even drafted.

Daniel Theis of the Celtics wasn't drafted either.

I may be missing a few players.
I can’t remember the last time we identified an undrafted or 2nd round stud.