The 2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Nobody wants to play for the other LA team and you'll always be second fiddle to the LA Lakers. Even if you have a season or two where you win more games or even a championship there's too much history you would have to go a decade minimum to make any headway to becoming the top team in Los Angeles.

Says the guy who roots for Portland Blazers. I guess I understand your hate since your team holds the "ultimate fails" when it comes to drafting franchise players. Bowie, Roy, and Oden.

Come at me when your team gets it's affairs in order.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Says the guy who roots for Portland Blazers. I guess I understand your hate since your team holds the "ultimate fails" when it comes to drafting franchise players. Bowie, Roy, and Oden..

What does Sam Bowie, Brandon Roy and Greg Oden have to do with the fact the Clippers will always be the second team in Los Angeles? Why don't you bring up Bill Walton and Clyde Drexler that covers different eras as well and is just as irrelevant. Whatever Portland is the fact alone they have a Ring and more consecutive playoff appearances, then you have playoff game wins in 42 years is enough to win that debate.

Besides, I'm going to enjoy my new hometown team keep your team from doing what it has never done. That is get out of the second round.

Come at me when your team gets it's affairs in order.

I hardly need to come at you your the one chasing the laser all I do is say anything wate and watch you dance. Besides the Blazers are just fine they still have LaMarcus Aldridge and a decent supporting cast. Plus as I've already told you with Brandon Roy retiring that clears up his max contract to bring in a super Star free-agent looking for a max deal or two very talented starters.

Plus they don't have to pay Greg Oden which gives them more money to bring in another decent player. plus, as I've mentioned they have two lottery picks this season they should bounce back from unfortunate injury issues that would bring down any team.

Last edited:

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Down 30 at the end of the third? Way to show up fakers.

Lookout Donald J. Lo will be all over this one it's the only time he shows up.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, dumb Lakers. They love to lose big. Having zero expectations in a series is a wonderful thing, though. I don't even care at this loss. Just another bad showing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, at least the Celts lost at home tonight though! That's almost like a Laker win in itself...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frustrating. Had it in the bag and played stupid in the last two minutes (a lot of that was Kobe).

Should have pushed it in to the bigs and put the game in their hands - they'd either get to the bucket or get to the line.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frustrating. Had it in the bag and played stupid in the last two minutes (a lot of that was Kobe).

Should have pushed it in to the bigs and put the game in their hands - they'd either get to the bucket or get to the line.

MOST of that was Kobe. Maddening.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

One shot is all the needed and going in side out at any time is a good way to go.

Kobe was bad at the end he needed to be a team play and just get a hoop.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Twice this series the Lakers have had a major meltdown. Kobe, thought of to be a 4th quarter threat, was largely responsible for both.

Kobe shot the team out of the game while Bynum was all but ignored in the 2nd half.

The Lakers are only going to be a legit threat when the team realizes it succeeds when Kobe doesn't shoot the ball close to 30 times per game and Gasol and Bynum are in the game plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twice this series the Lakers have had a major meltdown. Kobe, thought of to be a 4th quarter threat, was largely responsible for both.

Kobe shot the team out of the game while Bynum was all but ignored in the 2nd half.

The Lakers are only going to be a legit threat when the team realizes it succeeds when Kobe doesn't shoot the ball close to 30 times per game and Gasol and Bynum are in the game plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally agree. As much as fans of other teams hate Kobe - imagine if he's on your team and killing your team's playoff run? Yeah, there are plenty of Lakers' fans that cannot wait until he is gone. Bleh. I can't stand his fancy dribbling turnovers and always looking for a foul. Pass it in to the bigs !!

Seriously - remove Kobe from the team and draft/trade for a younger player to team up with Bynum for the future. I'm all for that.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Totally agree. As much as fans of other teams hate Kobe - imagine if he's on your team and killing your team's playoff run? Yeah, there are plenty of Lakers' fans that cannot wait until he is gone. Bleh. I can't stand his fancy dribbling turnovers and always looking for a foul. Pass it in to the bigs !!

Seriously - remove Kobe from the team and draft/trade for a younger player to team up with Bynum for the future. I'm all for that.

Kobe needs to be on a team with a coach who has a bigger ego than him (Phil Jackson) and either have another legendary player playing alongside (Shaq) or plenty of front-court depth (Gasol, Bynum, and Odom). The formula no longer exists.

With $55mil left on his contract the next two years and a full no-trade clause, Kobe's going nowhere, and Laker fans are going to be stuck with an aged player whose decision making skills have declined. As it stands, Kobe is more like Allen Iverson than MJ. He will score a ton of points, but like A.I., it takes an inordinate amount of shots to do so, most of them having a high degree of difficulty.

As it stands, Mike Brown isn't taking the Lakers to a championship, Bynum has proven to be the Randy Moss of the NBA (play when he wants to play), and Gasol's confidence has diminished.

If I'm a Laker fan (thank God I'm not), I'm not expecting a championship for quite a while.

Last edited:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score

Here's a crazy thought:

Amnesty Kobe in his last year or before the outrageous Luxury tax kicks in and rebuild with the 30 million he'll be owed?

The Lakers are so messed up with their salary situation right now. If you trade Gasol for nothing, you'll still be over the cap. In 2013-2014, you'll still have 63.5 million in committed salary...Without Bynum.

2013-2014

Kobe Bryant
Pau Gasol
Metta World Peace
Steve Blake
Christian Eyenga

63 million

* Kobe is holding the Lakers hostage till 2013-2014
http://www.hoopsworld.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe choked again. Jeez. This team should be up 3-1 going into game five, instead they are about to get eliminated.

Exactly what I expected from them: nothing.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe choked again. Jeez. This team should be up 3-1 going into game five, instead they are about to get eliminated.

Exactly what I expected from them: nothing.

He's bookending his career. He started as a kid straight from high school jacking up 3's and shooting us out of the playoffs. Now that he's older he's shooting us out of the playoffs again.

It was a maddening game for me to watch in the 4th. I kept yelling at the TV - "Pass it in to the bigs !!" Kobe - missed shot. "Pass it in to the bigs !!" Kobe - brick. "Pass it in to the bigs !!" Kobe - drives the lane, nothing there, forces it, doesn't get it, puts on bitter-beer face because he expected a foul to be called. UGH.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's bookending his career. He started as a kid straight from high school jacking up 3's and shooting us out of the playoffs. Now that he's older he's shooting us out of the playoffs again.

It was a maddening game for me to watch in the 4th. I kept yelling at the TV - "Pass it in to the bigs !!" Kobe - missed shot. "Pass it in to the bigs !!" Kobe - brick. "Pass it in to the bigs !!" Kobe - drives the lane, nothing there, forces it, doesn't get it, puts on bitter-beer face because he expected a foul to be called. UGH.

Pau and Metta were no better. Pau shrunk and passed cross court to Metta who had taken three terrible shots in the last 4 minutes. Bynum didn't get a touch, but Pau did and didn't do crap with it. Then Kobe just jacks and jacks and jacks...damn. He should have been shooting free throws on the drive to the rack, clear foul, but regardless, it never should have got to that point.

Bottom line here is...Mike Brown can't coach a lick of offense. The defense is good, but FFS, with the talent here the offense should be SO MUCH better. Instead, it seems like Brown coaches D and lets the players run the O without much input. Thus, they crumble in crunch time, because honestly, they are all kind of mentally soft other than Kobe, who truly believes every shot is going in, even a turn around 40 footer and isn't afraid to take it...that's a blessing and a curse. This postseason...curse.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pau and Metta were no better. Pau shrunk and passed cross court to Metta who had taken three terrible shots in the last 4 minutes. Bynum didn't get a touch, but Pau did and didn't do crap with it. Then Kobe just jacks and jacks and jacks...damn. He should have been shooting free throws on the drive to the rack, clear foul, but regardless, it never should have got to that point.

Bottom line here is...Mike Brown can't coach a lick of offense. The defense is good, but FFS, with the talent here the offense should be SO MUCH better. Instead, it seems like Brown coaches D and lets the players run the O without much input. Thus, they crumble in crunch time, because honestly, they are all kind of mentally soft other than Kobe, who truly believes every shot is going in, even a turn around 40 footer and isn't afraid to take it...that's a blessing and a curse. This postseason...curse.

Kobe even missed the technical free throw(s) - at least one, if not both, IIRC. UGH.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might as well go start a 2012-2013 Los Angeles Lakers thread right now BIM.. Cuz if you hire Mike Brown, this season is already over.. Then the Lakers will prolly fire Brown..

Yup..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson