"I want to thank my psychiatrist for helping me calm down."

Ron Artest.

He is my favorite.

Besides Pao Gasol.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raja Bell being targeted by the Lakers and Kobe wants him in LA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5317351

Discuss.

If I could cheer for Malone, I can root for Raja. Solid move, IMO, good defensive guy off the bench who can knock down threes. If he can be had for the Vet Min, no brainer. Can guard 2s and 3s, and gives us a deeper defensive rotation.

Plus, the comedy of it is awesome...lots of great quotes would be had.

It seems like Kobe is collecting tough, scrappy, hard working guys that he's had altercations with...building his own ninja army.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raja Bell being targeted by the Lakers and Kobe wants him in LA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5317351

Discuss.

If I could cheer for Malone, I can root for Raja. Solid move, IMO, good defensive guy off the bench who can knock down threes. If he can be had for the Vet Min, no brainer. Can guard 2s and 3s, and gives us a deeper defensive rotation.

Plus, the comedy of it is awesome...lots of great quotes would be had.

It seems like Kobe is collecting tough, scrappy, hard working guys that he's had altercations with...building his own ninja army.
No he isn't. No he can't. He is done.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he isn't. No he can't. He is done.

Done? Dude had a wrist injury to a non-shooting hand. Only played 7 games last year (and was at his career numbers in those 7 games).

You can no more say he's done than I can say he's in the best shape of his life. No way of knowing, but worth the Vet Min to find out. Low Risk/High Reward.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil Jackson will return to coach the Lakers
By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times
July 1, 2010

After further review, Phil Jackson will be back.

A week after saying he was "leaning toward retiring," the Lakers' coach said he would return for his 11th season with the franchise.

"Count me in," Jackson said Thursday. "After a couple of weeks of deliberation, it is time to get back to the challenge of putting together a team that can defend its title in the 2010-11 season. It'll be the last stand for me, and I hope a grand one."

Jackson, who will be 65 in September, retreated to his summer Montana home, cleared his mind and reached his decision with the help of some favorable medical news.

He seemed to be in his final days with the Lakers when he last met with media members on June 23, saying he was concerned about his health and fatigued by the NBA's travel schedule.

Now, though, he'll have a chance to coach the Lakers to a third consecutive title, a move to be met with overwhelming approval by players who unilaterally stumped for him during interviews with reporters after their exit meetings.

Jackson received favorable news after undergoing a battery of medical tests that began four days after the Lakers won their 16th championship, skipping the team's championship parade in order to check his overall health. He has had both hips replaced, has a sore knee, has kidney stores and had an angioplasty procedure to repair an artery in 2003. Among other things, his knee will not need to be replaced, which Jackson was relieved to hear.

A father of five grown children and a number of grandchildren, Jackson mentioned the importance of family when he said he was leaning toward retirement, saying he was starting to ponder "how much time you have left to live," but ultimately deciding to coach at least one more season.

In the months leading up to the Lakers' 16th championship, he was coy in his decision-making process, never quite revealing which way he would go when his two-year, $23-million contract expired June 30.

After a 91-75 loss to Oklahoma City late in the regular season, he questioned a return while talking to The Times, saying that "If [players] don't respond, you say, 'No, this isn't the time for me to continue coaching.' "

And yet, less than an hour after the Lakers defeated Boston to win their 16th championship, Jackson said "it does improve my chances" of returning.

A member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, Jackson is the longest-tenured coach in Lakers' history. He has been the coach of 11 of the last 20 NBA champions, including six with the Chicago Bulls.

In 19 seasons as an NBA coach, Jackson has a record of 1,098-460, good for a .705 winning percentage that is the best in league history.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Looks like you guys just signed Steve Blake. Looks like Mike Miller lost out. Congrats.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
^^ Looks like LeRingless met Fisher at the airport to pitch him on why he should sign with the Heat instead of the Lakers.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Lakers signed Matt Barnes away from Toronto. I like him better than Raja Bell.

Lakers sign free-agent forward Matt Barnes

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP)—Matt Barnes is going back to Los Angeles, this time to join the two-time defending NBA champion Lakers.

The Lakers announced Thursday they had signed the free-agent forward. Terms were not disclosed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-barnes

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I like. I like A LOT.

SFs will have nightmares the night before facing the lakers. When Ron sits, Barnes gets to be all up on them.

Great signing. Our bench is a load better now. First three off the bench is Blake, Barnes and Odom, with Odom able to play bigs and SF, blake able to guard PG and some SG, and Barnes able to guard SG and SF. LOTS of versatility.

With Ebanks and Caracter looking like keepers, even better for the blowout games. Healthy, this is a fantastic Laker squad.

And Barnes rolling with a lineup of Pau, Bynum, Kobe and Artest in certain situations is pretty much a lockdown crew. Nothing doing inside, and three good perimeter d players.

This was a super signing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sasha Vujacic may be the NBA's best tennis player next season
By Trey Kerby
8/24/2010

As any workout buff can tell you, when you're in the gym there is no better motivation than having someone there to help you and push you to your limits. That person can be there to give you that little extra oomph you need to set your new one-rep record or increase your VO2 max or some other fitness term. It's just good to have a buddy there, keeping you safe and making you work hard. If that buddy happens to be a professional athlete, even better.

And if that professional athlete happens to be a strikingly beautiful world champion, then you've really hit the workout jackpot, just like Sasha Vujacic. He's getting ready for next season by training in Florida with his girlfriend, tennis star Maria Sharapova. Pretty good gig, if you can get it.

Full story at link above...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...pionship-ring-is-for-sale-inqu?urn=nba-268518

Artest finally won a title in June after 11 regular seasons of trying ... and now he's planning to sell the championship ring as a fundraiser to put more psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists in schools.

"I'm never going to put it on," he said.

Artest plans to soon announce details of what he hopes will become a worldwide auction, and he takes possession of the jewelry in an Oct. 26 pre-game ceremony before the Lakers open against the Rockets. It's an incredible gesture. But it's even more meaningful as a statement.

"You work so hard to get a ring, and now you have a chance to help more people than just yourself, instead of just satisfying yourself," he said. "What's better than that? For me, this is very important."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate playing the Rockets...they are a scrappy bunch and always give us fits. Speed in Brooks, hustle in Scola...they are simply a team we consistently struggle with.

Winning on ring night is great, though.