The 2006-07 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is, the sequel to The 2005-06 Los Angeles Lakers thread.

Since we're out, we might as well have a place to talk about next season (without upsetting the Suns fans). This time I'll just start it here to save all the moving by the mods. :|

Draft?

Trades?

Predictions?

:jedi:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that Tim Thomas will be in a Lakers uni next year.

*Damn I hate posting in a Lakers thread.... :)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez D-Dogg, what did you do to Jeanie Buss to get this!??

We'll Wait to See How This Story Develops
By Bob Rohwer, Times Staff Writer
June 2, 2006

Will they be called the D-Dogs, D-Fenders, L.A. Caliente, L.A. Breakers, L.A. Next, L.A. Sensation, L.A. Buss or L.A. Evolution?

These are the choices for the name of the Lakers' new NBA Development League team, and the club is asking fans to vote for their favorite at http://www.lakers.com from Monday through Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENTThe Lakers are the first NBA franchise to own a D-League team, which allows them to control who coaches and who plays on their minor league team, much as a major league baseball team controls personnel on its minor league affiliates.

The D-League season starts in November, and the Lakers' affiliate could play its 25 home games at Staples Center, preceding Laker games.

As for the team's name, sorry, it's too late for nominations, so don't expect to see the L.A. Ponds, L.A. Puddles, L.A. D-List or, as another Times staffer suggested: " 'The Lakers' — 11 of them were development league-quality players last season."

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch K. on Bynum trade rumors:
"There's no discussions of a trade. I've seen some rumors, and Andrew, I kidded with with him the other day — because there have been a couple of things written about him being traded — I kidded with him that we're not going to trade him. I said I want to see another year of play before I make that decision...but we're not going to trade Andrew. We're very happy with him. He's grown an inch, he's gotten bigger, he's in the weight room, he's gotten stronger.... We haven't measured him recently. We measured him about two months ago, and he had grown an inch. So he's over seven feet tall."

I really hope Bynum makes the leap this coming season or next. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New PG, Jordan Farmar. I like this pick...he's young and is a leader. He led an above average UCLA team to the NCAA title game, and was the only guy who showed up. He's the reason Adam Morrison cried. He's a bit turnover prone, but he also played with a young team and that can come into play. Add a little bulk to his frame, and he's already said his goal right now is to become a lock down defender at the 1 (I love his attitude). Dude grew up in LA, went to UCLA and is now a Laker. Nice ride for him. I think we are going to like this kid a lot in a couple years.

Drafted a big foreign center next then traded him for Maurice Evans. GREAT move...Evans is a good energy guy and a good defender. Decent shooter. Will be Devean's replacement when we let him go this offseason (I hope we S&T George somewhere, but unlikely).

Traded next year's Miami second round to Dallas for pick #58 JR Pinnock. This guy actually has a shot at making the roster at least for the NBDL...we were one of 4 teams he worked out for, and though he's raw the George Washington U product has skills and a nice jumper.

Good draft. I give it a B+ right now and if Pinnock pans out at that pick then its an easy A. Getting Farmar at #26 was a steal.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up D-Dogg. I still hope we can get Marcus Banks in FA and have Farmar and Smush spell him and Sasha spell KB.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see Banks come in. I'd like to see Smush and Mihm and whatever moved in a S&T to ATL for Al Harrington.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al Harrington still a possibility here. Would be a very nice sign...if we can get him.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Waaaaa, the Lakers wont get any better. Waaaaa, no one wants to play with Kobe."

Sincerely,

Idiots

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Some articles about the Vlad signing. I don't know how much of the second article is inside info. or just speculation by the author.

Radmanovic turns to the rival Lakers
The former Clippers foward agrees to a five-year, $31 million deal.

By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register
Sunday, July 2, 2006

The Lakers aren't waiting around any longer.

They agreed to a five-year contract worth about $31 million with former Clippers forward Vladimir Radmanovic on Saturday, said Radmanovic's agent, David Bauman. Asked for confirmation, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said: "At the conclusion of the moratorium period (July 12), the Lakers intend to enter into a contract with Vladimir Radmanovic."

The Lakers are so sure the stellar shooting and less-heralded athleticism of the 6-foot-10 Radmanovic is worth the long-term money they are deviating from their plan to have no one but Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom under contract in 2008. That's when the Lakers hoped to sign a marquee free agent such as Ron Artest, Kevin Garnett or LeBron James.

That go-for-broke scenario remains a fall-back option - the Lakers could dump Odom or Radmanovic, 25, or wriggle the payroll to set up such a move - but the clear first option is now to maximize the next two seasons when Phil Jackson remains contracted as the Lakers coach.

In his sales presentation on the Lakers' behalf, Bryant offered Radmanovic the lofty prediction that the newest Laker can average 18-20 points next season. Bauman said Jackson was "the most important person" to contact Radmanovic late Friday night after the free-agent period opened, even though the Lakers lined up Bryant, Magic Johnson and Vlade Divac to call Radmanovic, who is in Belgrade, Serbia, for the next week.

"That probably helped seal the deal," Bauman said of Jackson's half-hour conversation with Radmanovic, who is expected to start ahead of Luke Walton in a lineup with Bryant, Odom, Kwame Brown and Smush Parker.

Radmanovic shot 46.3 percent on three-pointers in the postseason for the Clippers and is at 41.3 percent for his NBA career. But the Lakers plan on Radmanovic, invited to compete in the 2005 All-Star Game three-point contest, to do much more than shoot.

He has been viewed as a bit of an underachiever in five NBA seasons, not consistently defending and settling too much for threes. But he has power-forward height with small-forward mobility; he's a solid rebounder with a decent post-up game and excellent open-court finishing skills.

Seattle thought enough of him to offer a six-year, $42 million contract that Radmanovic declined last summer, uncomfortable with his playing status with the SuperSonics.

He wound up signing a one-year, $3.1 million deal and was traded to the Clippers for Chris Wilcox because Seattle knew it couldn't re-sign Radmanovic at season's end.

On Friday night, Radmanovic was offered the full mid-level salary-cap exception from four teams, including the Lakers and Clippers, Bauman said. If the Lakers had not sold Radmanovic, they were prepared to pursue help in the backcourt, but weren't comfortable with free-agent guard Marcus Banks expecting the full mid-level exception.

So when Radmanovic decided Saturday he preferred the Lakers for more definite playing time than the Clippers could offer, Lakers officials viewed it as a boon and were willing to make the long-term commitment. In a five-year deal, Radmanovic was seeking a player option to exit after the fourth season, which will be 2010.

Lakers grab shooter from Clippers
RADMANOVIC: The 6-10 forward agrees to a $29 million deal.

10:00 PM PDT on Saturday, July 1, 2006
By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

After addressing two of their three pressing needs with last week's draft and a trade the same night, the Lakers added a third key piece, snatching sharpshooter Vladimir Radmanovic away from the rival Clippers.

Radmanovic agreed to accept the Lakers' mid-level exception of $5.2 million this season and will sign a five-year deal worth about $29 million when the signing period starts July 12, according to his agent, David Bauman.

During a conference call with reporters Saturday, Bauman said his client took the deal because of the opportunity to start at small forward for the Lakers, and because of conversations Radmanovic had with Coach Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant and Vlade Divac, who shares a Serbian connection with the 6-foot-10 forward. Magic Johnson's role in pursuing Radmanovic also helped.

And the Lakers likely aren't done dealing.

They hope to use their bi-annual exception of $1.7 million on point guard Shammond Williams, who last played in the NBA in the 2003-04 season, with New Orleans, and played in Spain last year.

The Clippers made their bid to keep Radmanovic, who played a half-season for them and helped them reach the second round of the playoffs, averaging 10.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in 30 games, shooting 41.8 percent from three-point range. He averaged 8.1 points and shot 46.3 percent on threes in the postseason.

According to Bauman, the Clippers called him Friday night at the beginning of the negotiating period.

Bauman said the Lakers also called right away, and that Radmanovic was impressed by a conversation with Jackson that "helped seal the deal."

The Lakers got the point guard they wanted when they drafted Jordan Farmar in the first round of Wednesday night's draft and the defensive wing player when they acquired Maurice Evans from Detroit on Wednesday night.

The Lakers wanted a big-time outside shooter and were able to get Radmanovic, who was at home in Belgrade, to come on board.

Radmanovic, 25, averaged 10.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and shot 38.1 percent from three-point range over his six-year career, almost all of it with Seattle.

With Lamar Odom having moved to power forward late in the season, Radmanovic probably will compete with Luke Walton for the starting small forward position.

"Based on the playing time, the team makeup, guys like Kobe, Magic, Vlade rooting him on, Vladdy decided this was the best fit for him," Bauman said.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"McCosky also talks about the potential for further roster changes: "The Pistons still have the bi-annual exception ($1.75 million) at their disposal, which they plan to use to acquire a veteran perimeter player -- preferably one who can play multiple positions and break defenses down off the dribble. Former Pistons guard Chucky Atkins is one candidate, as is Tony Delk, who finished the season with the Pistons last year."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What do I have to do to join the brotherhood of Laker fan?? Not much....I hope....it's really just to get under the skin of Suns fan.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
it's really just to get under the skin of Suns fan.

YOU'RE IN!!!

BTW, your guys picking up JJ Riddick is a fantastic move. That is becoming my favorite non-laker team by far...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
[/b]

BTW, your guys picking up JJ Riddick is a fantastic move. That is becoming my favorite non-laker team by far...

Who likes Orlando? I think I missed that part.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
[/b]

YOU'RE IN!!!

Yes, Awesome!! We are going to squash the Purple Gang when the come in for a game at the Forum. Worthy is going to go nuts....

(please upgrade me with a current roster)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Yes, Awesome!! We are going to squash the Purple Gang when the come in for a game at the Staples Center. Lamar is going to go nuts....

Done.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm also an Orlando fan. I traded for Howard in my keeper league last season, so now I'm on board. I traded C. Anthony for him. I couldn't stand routing for Carmelo any longer. Howard is going to blow up soon...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard