That Kyler Murray kid

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Franchise single season rankings in like 110 years (at least 100 attempts)

Completion Percentage #1
    Passing Yards #6
    Total Yards #1
    Passing TDs #7
    Total TDs #1
    Ints: 58 (low is good)
    QBR #2

Like forky, trash

2. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Care to elaborate? I'm not saying that the QBs listed don't play with some incredible talent, but that talent wasn't brought aboard with the use of high picks or gaudy contracts. All of those QBs make the people around them better.

3. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

You can't move the goalposts just because our QB play has been so terrible for so long. Jameis Winston's 5 seasons with the Bucs would have basically held all of our franchise records.

4. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

I will when I'm on an actual keyboard.

5. Krangthebrain

And Winston has a season where he threw more picks than Murray has in TWO SEASONS.

6. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I'm not calling Winston a better QB. The point was to show an example of just how dire our QB situation has been throughout our history.

7. Chris_Sanders

It's not "moving the goal posts" to quote facts

8. Chris_Sanders

Schrodingers QB. Can't throw from the pocket or on the run, sets franchise record for completion percentage at 67%

9. Krangthebrain

Murray scored 37 TDs. That's a franchise record for quite a few franchises.

He did this in only his second season. I know it sucks to be epically wrong, but the kid went from rookie of the year to Pro Bowl player in year two. He set Cardinals TD records for a player. Set other passing records as well. He is only going to get better.

10. Chris_Sanders

The Winston Comparison for Tampa is a bit tough because he has so many seasons where the metrics are all over the place. We will go with his 5000 passing yard season since that will get his highest numbers.

Completion Percentage #19 (60.4%)
    Passing Yards #1
    Total Yards #1
    Passing TDs #2
    Total TDs #2
    Ints: #2 (high is bad)
    QBR #15

Forky says the reason you include completion percentage, INTs, and QBR is so a high volume passing season doesn't give you a trash comparison

11. juza76

juza76 Registered

There are none so deaf as those who will not hear

Solar even if sometimes deceived us with some kind and positive words he still a Murray hater
    People rarely change their opinions in good faith

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  12. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

That's your opinion, and that's OK. IMO, Palmer was a good NFL QB, but never great. He was a great pick up for the Cardinals when BA took over. But, I said it then, Palmer was never going to take the Cardinals to a SB. He had too many "WTF was that" throws to take the Cardinals to the next level. Pretty much his whole career followed that pattern.

juza76 likes this.
  13. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

Not necessarily. I didn't see Brady laid up in a hospital this past season & he's no more mobile than me. You can't escape sacks entirely, but K1 does it better than almost every QB in the NFL.

14. splitsecond

splitsecond Registered

Of all the takes I've seen around here the character shots on Kyler are some of the most confusing.

ozzfloyd and Krangthebrain like this.
  15. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

It's moving the goal posts to imply success just because he's the best QB out of our poor lot. There's lots of QBs that people on this board lambast that would be our career leaders by far. Again, I'm not trying to knock Kyler, but comparing him to our franchise numbers is practically meaningless.

I'm not even calling Kyler bad. It's fair to sit here and question if we're going to win with him because we haven't yet. There's nothing "epically wrong" about saying he has room to get better, and we can only speculate what it's going to take to get there. Does he need more talent? Does he need more time in game prep and film study? Does he need better coaching? None of us can know the answer for certain, but discussing it is basically what this board is for, not just blindly saying he's the greatest ever while we approach the greater part of a decade without a playoff berth, and genuine concern we'll finish 4th in the division.

You also still haven't rebuked any of the stuff about the other QBs succeeding with lesser investments.

It's not about Winston vs. Murray. Plug Matthew Stafford in there, Philip Rivers, guys that on this board are often called pretty mediocre and have not won anything of note in their careers. They would also qualify for franchise records in our organization.

The only point about this again, is that comparing Kyler to our history is pointless. He needs to be compared against his contemporaries and ability to play football that gets this franchise wins, by making those around him better.

I'm genuinely not a Murray hater. The only thing I hate is that some users here take any slight criticism or questioning of him to be like insulting their child. He's a golden god for some and we're just not there yet with him.