That Kyler Murray kid

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Right, but that's one year. Watson was not afforded much better in his two playoff qualifying seasons than we were. His running game was subpar, their line wasn't very good... maybe a slightly better defense?

Listen, this isn't trying to knock Kyler, especially in a thread that is focused on him doing an objectively good thing. But it's okay for fans to express concerns about a player's football makeup without calling him a bad person. And I'm sorry, when you're the #1 overall pick, the expectation has to be that you lift the team without a "full ensemble." None of the top 5 QBs in this league are doing so with rosters jam packed of high priced free agents and solely first rounders at the skill positions.

2. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard, given that Palmer was also a 1st overall pick. Unless you're only talking about over 34 year old Carson Palmer solely on the Cardinals, which is a wildly unfair comparison, but even that guy threw for 35 TDs in a season.

cardncubfan likes this.
  3. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Let me say I agree with the fact that Kyler has got to improve to reach the status of being the number 1 pick. I just want to give him the chance to develop. Remember he came as the number one pick not because we traded up but because we were the WORSE team in football.
    He came in with fewer games at qb than most coming into this league. It also includes coming along with a rookie head coach which MANY believe should be gone.
    I would say that Kyler has exceeded expectation with what he walked into. That’s not making excuses. It’s just my opinion.
    I hope we add a center, a true #2 Wr and decide on what to do at rb. I believe experience alone will help him improve. To what degree? We will see.

daves likes this.
  4. slanidrac16

I get that. Kyler has been great at times. Hopefully he will continue to improve.

Stout likes this.
  5. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Our 'D' outplayed our "0' last season

Check the pts for pts against 2019/20.

6. HGC

HGC Registered

Kyler is arguably saddled with the worst coach/GM in the league.

Stout likes this.
  7. slanidrac16

Many agree with you which adds to the argument of just how good Kyler has been, could be, or will be.

Stout likes this.
  8. cardpa

cardpa Have a Nice Day!

If BA had Murray when he was here, Murray would have been laid up in a hospital somewhere. BA exposed his QBs so much Murray would have been crushed.

cardncubfan and GuernseyCard like this.
  9. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Really!

Evidently you've done a deep study and can name the second, third, fourth, etc. worst Coach/GM combinations in the League, right?

10. HGC

HGC Registered

We are all entitled to our opinions.

11. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Sure. But an 'informed' opinion would be nice.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Eh the top teams even with great QBs have talent.
    Rodgers has a better oline and punishing ground game with Davante

Brady had the best weapons around

mahomes has quite a group of weapons

even Brees had more weapons than kyler, and that saints team wasn’t Uber talented.

let’s be honest, kyler had hop and just about nothing else that scared anyone. Our next most “dangerous” weapons were Arnold and drake?

daves, Krangthebrain and juza76 like this.
  13. HGC

HGC Registered

Kingsbury’s overall record is 48-58-1 (13-18-1 with the Cardinals) and Steve Keim has gone 16-31-1 since Bruce Arians left the building. You obviously disagree with my opinion.

HomerPimpson and Stout like this.
  14. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

All of that is fair. But it doesn't absolve him from criticism. There are some here who will get angry if we dare question Kyler whatsoever about anything. I know I've been told to go be a fan of another team multiple times because I'm not completely certain Kyler's destined to be a top 5 QB.

They have talent, but to me, it's more about how that talent was acquired.

Who is Rodgers throwing to? Did he get a 1st round WR for multiple years because he needed that to succeed? Did the Packers go out and pay a lot of money for a top flight free agent to make him successful? No. The notable skill players he has around him are mostly all drafted and home grown, all past the 1st round. Davante Adams a 2nd round pick, his next two WRs in the 5th and 6th, Aaron Jones in the 5th, Tonyan undrafted by another team.

Brady's a little different, but homegrown WRs in Evans and Godwin (3rd round), Ronald Jones (2nd round)... sure, there's Gronk, AB, and Fournette, but all of them are essentially scrap heap players that multiple teams had a shot at on cheap contracts (Gronk being the exception only playing with Brady).

Mahomes' best weapons were drafted after the 3rd round. Kelce (3rd round), Hill (5th round).

Brees is also getting it done with guys who weren't heralded players and were home grown. Michael Thomas (2nd round), Alvin Kamara (3rd round).

The reason I bring this up is that lots of posters here say we must provide Kyler with another 1st round pick at WR, or TE, or upgrade at running back, and spend more and more money just to get the offense up to snuff. These top QBs aren't sitting around with key weapons that were purchased on the free agent market, by giving up a ton of trade capital, or burning a 1st round pick on a position where they already have another star.

That's what puts a little fear in me about Kyler. Is he really making anyone around him that much better? Sure, he balls out when he runs, but it doesn't seem like he takes the rest of the offense with him. That could easily be Kliff's fault.

15. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Wow. So much wrong with what you say here. Wow.