Ted Lasso

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I keep hearing this as a defense - if people just want to watch it to feel good, that's fine, but there is a reason that Ted is seeing a therapist. His shtick is obviously a shield, and hearing his mom do a dime store Ted was even more evidence that mom suffers from the same problems as Ted.

"Scenes are devoid of jokes and filled with dopey, self-important monologuing on the issues of the day. Rather than have any conflict, characters offer endless hugs and wan smiles, all under the watchful mustache of Mr. Lasso, whose retinue of dad jokes feels noticeably phoned in."

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture...n-three-decline/673943/?utm_source=apple_news
As opposed to being trolled on the internet all day? Having people in public places lose their **** with no thought of manners whatsoever? Real life can suck. I suppose some of us wish it were more like Ted Lasso, with people trying to respect others at the end of the day.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As opposed to being trolled on the internet all day?
I think that's a false choice - it's not like the world has to be either dreadfully grim or saccharine.
Having people in public places lose their **** with no thought of manners whatsoever?
Inarguably bad.
Real life can suck. I suppose some of us wish it were more like Ted Lasso, with people trying to respect others at the end of the day.
I think you can do these things, and make a meaningful show without the corny jokes or the Afterschool special lessons, but I don't begrudge people for enjoying it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think that's a false choice - it's not like the world has to be either dreadfully grim or saccharine.

Inarguably bad.

I think you can do these things, and make a meaningful show without the corny jokes or the Afterschool special lessons, but I don't begrudge people for enjoying it.
What I am saying is we all as a society are going through a phase of public rudeness everyday. I think this show combats that for the most part. I get it is not your cup of tea. However, there is obviously a market out there that enjoys it!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What I am saying is we all as a society are going through a phase of public rudeness everyday.
I'd quibble with this a bit - we SEE a ton of it, because it's all over the TV/internet/every form of media. That said, 99.9% of the interactions I see when out and about at all different times and all different areas is people respecting each other and being kind. Obviously the bad stuff happens, and more than I'd like, but I don't think there's some widespread rudeness or antipathy outside of political events.

However, there is obviously a market out there that enjoys it!
Ha, no doubt!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd quibble with this a bit - we SEE a ton of it, because it's all over the TV/internet/every form of media. That said, 99.9% of the interactions I see when out and about at all different times and all different areas is people respecting each other and being kind. Obviously the bad stuff happens, and more than I'd like, but I don't think there's some widespread rudeness or antipathy outside of political events.

Ha, no doubt!
I worked customer service, so I got a LOT of it. For the most part you are right. The majority of folks are great. I still see more raised voices in stores. People outright saying things like "You're an idiot!" in public. The whole Karen phenomena. The other day in Walmart I heard someone exclaim, "The problem with this store is too many Mexicans shop here!" I live in Laveen! C'mon dude!

I've always lived in small towns before moving to Maricopa County. Maybe it's a big town thing I am noticing. Most the people my age, that I grew up with in Yuma, are all telling me they are noticing the rise in incivility. That's what bugs me, is I am coming in contact with it in public, not just anonymously on the internet.

My hope is a lot of this dies out with old farts like me. :)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I worked customer service, so I got a LOT of it.
Oh man, my condolences. There certainly is an epidemic of people thinking they can treat anyone in a service job like crap. I hate that so much.

I've always lived in small towns before moving to Maricopa County. Maybe it's a big town thing I am noticing. Most the people my age, that I grew up with in Yuma, are all telling me they are noticing the rise in incivility. That's what bugs me, is I am coming in contact with it in public, not just anonymously on the internet.

My hope is a lot of this dies out with old farts like me. :)
You're fine Yuma, we can do less with the incivility!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing this as a defense - if people just want to watch it to feel good, that's fine, but there is a reason that Ted is seeing a therapist. His shtick is obviously a shield, and hearing his mom do a dime store Ted was even more evidence that mom suffers from the same problems as Ted.

"Scenes are devoid of jokes and filled with dopey, self-important monologuing on the issues of the day. Rather than have any conflict, characters offer endless hugs and wan smiles, all under the watchful mustache of Mr. Lasso, whose retinue of dad jokes feels noticeably phoned in."

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture...n-three-decline/673943/?utm_source=apple_news
With 11 Emmys, 40 Emmy nominations, probably another half dozen Emmys this time around and a huge, adoring fan base, I'm sure that the entire gang over at Lasso could give a squirt of sour owl crap what Atlantic critic David Sims drivels on about it. I get it that it's not your cup of English tea, but for many others, it's warm, fuzzy, crazy and emotional fun, while occasionally sneakng in some good, solid points about life.

:cheers:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

That's Ted not being health due to repressing everything and not the show as a whole. The show still took an upbeat and non-nihlistic tone that didn't try to bring you down and show how horrible the world is at every turn. Outside of Ted, things like the team helping Sam, the Jamie-Roy arch, Keeley finding her legs, etc. are all positive. Give this show to most of the Netflix and Prime writers and the team would have ended up at the sex show in Amsterdam with everything unsavory under the sun happening to them. Instead we got a fun scene ending in a pillow fight.

And I could care less what some some hack hipster writer for the Atlantic has to say. I don't farm out my opinion on shows.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's Ted not being health due to repressing everything and not the show as a whole. The show still took an upbeat and non-nihlistic tone that didn't try to bring you down and show how horrible the world is at every turn. Outside of Ted, things like the team helping Sam, the Jamie-Roy arch, Keeley finding her legs, etc. are all positive. Give this show to most of the Netflix and Prime writers and the team would have ended up at the sex show in Amsterdam with everything unsavory under the sun happening to them. Instead we got a fun scene ending in a pillow fight.

And I could care less what some some hack hipster writer for the Atlantic has to say. I don't farm out my opinion on shows.
David Sims getting a lot of flack here. Dude is a killer movie/tv critic and hosts one of the best movie pods in the genre.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Sims getting a lot of flack here. Dude is a killer movie/tv critic and hosts one of the best movie pods in the genre.
His job is to get clicks and get people to read his stuff. No matter how good a critic you are, that's part of your job too. Evidently, even good ones are not immune to bad takes either.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Criticizing Ted Lasso for some is like saying something bad about their kids - I don't begrudge people for enjoying it, but let's not pretend like we're watching some high art here.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Criticizing Ted Lasso for some is like saying something bad about their kids - I don't begrudge people for enjoying it, but let's not pretend like we're watching some high art here.

Don't think anyone is going there...... :shrug:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I have mixed feelings here. I absolutely loved seasons 1 & 2 of Lasso. However Season 3 just fell flat for me. I get that people really enjoyed the positive message and all from Ted Lasso, but in season 3 it just felt way too manufactured. So while I will miss Lasso I'm glad season 3 is over.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I have mixed feelings here. I absolutely loved seasons 1 & 2 of Lasso. However Season 3 just fell flat for me. I get that people really enjoyed the positive message and all from Ted Lasso, but in season 3 it just felt way too manufactured. So while I will miss Lasso I'm glad season 3 is over.
Eye of the beholder, to be sure. Personally, I found season 3 to be near perfect.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eye of the beholder, to be sure. Personally, I found season 3 to be near perfect.

My only complaint about this season is it did feel a tad rushed like they were trying to jam in tying up story threads. I seriously doubt the Nathan scenario happens offscrean if there was already a planned Season 4. Still a fantastic season and one of the best shows ever IMO.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only complaint about this season is it did feel a tad rushed like they were trying to jam in tying up story threads. I seriously doubt the Nathan scenario happens offscrean if there was already a planned Season 4. Still a fantastic season and one of the best shows ever IMO.
They would have done well to do 14 episodes instead of twelve to better close down shop. Other than that, wowzers. Simply wowzers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That and the entirely ham handed relationship between Keely and the investor.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Just finished the series with my wife. Just fantastic, as many here have said. Really can’t believe it’s the end of it but the finale wrapped everything up perfectly.

There’s not one episode we didn’t like. The only story line I hated was the therapist dating his ex wife. That wouldn’t happen in real life and if it did, he’d likely face discipline from the state’s behavioral board (although it is Kansas).

Other than that, one of the best shows I’ve watched in recent memory.