tech support sucks

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
both Cox and Dell.

Last night there was a storm and electricity went out briefly so had no internet connectitivity. Today, still no internet. Called Cox to see if there was a problem with the cable modem but all I kept getting was Suzy Robot and after 20 minutes she still couldn't uderstand what I was saying (maybe it was the hot dog I was eating while answering her prompts?)

Hung up and tried to get a live person, who had me unplug, plug, reboot, unplug, plug and still nothing. She then transferred me to a higher level tech support who had me do a bunch of DOS entries and still nothing. He concluded that my network drivers were corrupted and to contact Dell so they could re-install them (how, I don't know - since I didn't have internet.)

Called Dell and the only prompt that seemed closest to my issue sent me to the sales dept. This gal kept trying to sell me stuff first, until I finally got thru to ther that I NEEDED TECH SUPPORT!!

So after 15 minutes she was ready to transfer me but since my warranty expired I needed to pay for the tech support. Either a one time fee of $99 or a yearly plan for $239. I balked at the price tag - what?? $99 to reinstall drivers?? I told her no, and she kept trying to sell me the yearly plan so I hung up on her.

While fishing for the installation CD from Dell (was gonna try to see if the drivers were in there) it ocurred to me to try a system restore.

5 minutes later I had my hi-speed connection back.

My question is: if it was the desktop's network drivers that were corrupt, why did the wireless laptop not work either? But I guess that's a moot point since apparently it wasn't the drivers. I would think that a system restore doesn't affect drivers...???

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it was just coincidence that your computer would come back online after you reinstalled.... if your laptop was down also your computer would have nothing to do with that.... unless you were using ICS

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
No, I don't think it was coincidence. Afer getting off the phone with them, I tried rebooting and getting back online and nothing. I didn't re-install anything....just did a system restore. Maybe it was a software problem and not the drivers at all...???

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard