Google halts AI tool’s ability to produce images of people after backlash

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google halts AI tool’s ability to produce images of people after backlash

Google is pausing its artificial intelligence tool Gemini’s ability to generate images of people after it was blasted on social media for producing historically inaccurate images that largely showed people of color in place of White people.

The embarrassing blunder shows how AI tools still struggle with the concept of race. OpenAI’s Dall-E image generator, for example, has taken heat for perpetuating harmful racial and ethnic stereotypes at scale. Google’s attempt to overcome this, however, appears to have backfired and made it difficult for the AI chatbot to generate images of White people.

Gemini, like other AI tools such as ChatGPT, is trained on vast troves of online data. Experts have long warned that AI tools therefore have the potential to replicate the racial and gender biases baked into that information.

When prompted by CNN on Wednesday to generate an image of a pope, for example, Gemini produced an image of a man and a woman, neither of whom were White. Tech site The Verge also reported that the tool produced images of people of color in response a prompt to generate images of a “1943 German Soldier.”

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one of a man eating fast food in the 80s. I feel like I can smell it in there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one of a man eating fast food in the 80s. I feel like I can smell it in there.

You must be registered for see images attach
Welllll you could

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson