Taking a QB at #3: Is it really that far fetched?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The prospect of landing a potential defensive superstar at #3 is so enticing. I have been an Alabama fan forever and Will Anderson is just so good and checks all the boxes from talent, production, and character. He is my slam dunk pick at #3.

As obvious as Anderson or Jalen Carter seem to be, an argument can be made for taking a quarterback if one really stands out. Let’s say the internal discussions are that Kyler will never change his ways. He is who he is, and the issues are just too toxic. You know the cap implications are too high to cut him now, so you basically redshirt him for next year to avoid another injury. Draft the QB at #3 or in a trade down scenario and let the rookie play with no pressure to win, just an opportunity to grow and give the organization time to determine the long term plan at QB. Maybe Kyler comes back in 2024 with a vengeance and we have a legit QB competition. Whoever wins the competition gets the first crack to be the long term answer. After 2024, trade away one of the QB’s for draft capital.

The QB in this draft who I like most is CJ Stroud. Take Stroud off of Ohio State and the stigma attached that Ohio State QB’s don’t translate well to the NFL, place him at a QB factory, and I think he is easily the top QB in the draft. Stroud possesses the #1 quality in a QB, tremendous accuracy. He is also a great kid.

Just my thoughts. Thank you for reading.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Stroud is a massive projection. Ohio State QBs struggle in the NFL for a reason, they are often throwing to ridiculously open WRs since their talent level is greater than nearly every team they encounter. Stroud isn't a good enough prospect to pass on Anderson/Carter. He just isn't. He's a lesser prospect than Murray.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Yes Yes Yes

Kyler will be easy to redshirt this year anyway because of the news he isnt going to be back until midseason. They need to make sure he is 100% healed up, and tradeable.

Meanwhile rebuild the team with Stroud and he becomes your leader and QB by possibly next season but probably year after.

Last edited:

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honestly I don't hate it, especially knowing that Kyler may miss a lot of time next year. In this scenario, if CJ Stroud was our guy and played phenomenal his rookie year, I think that's good problems to have. Even if you couldn't get the trade value that you want you could always keep him around his sophomore year and if K1 gets hurt it doesn't ruin your season.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
In my opinion, the only way a QB is selected at #3, is if the Cardinals trade out of the spot.

I totally get the thought process from the OP, though. I just don't see the team going out of their way to create a QB controversy this year, or next.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’m not a Stroud fan but he really did impress vs. Georgia.
He’s not elite enough to pass on Anderson.

The ONLY way I’d pass on Anderson is VJ and the current defensive staff is retained. They’ve shown they’re terrible at developing LBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It isn't far fetched but highly unlikely. You have to have an owner, GM and HC all on board with making the move and find a suitable trade partner for a injured player. You can't draft a QB at 3 and keep Kyler.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I do think Stroud will be the the first QB off the board though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't far fetched but highly unlikely. You have to have an owner, GM and HC all on board with making the move and find a suitable trade partner for a injured player. You can't draft a QB at 3 and keep Kyler.
The last part is the real kicker. No one is going to give up any real draft capital and Bidwill isn't going to take a 90M cap hit for him to do so.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The last part is the real kicker. No one is going to give up any real draft capital and Bidwill isn't going to take a 90M cap hit for him to do so.
And it has to be done by a couple days into the new league year as well. It isn't impossible but yeah...Bidwill would have to be DONE with Kyler and have hired a GM and HC who took their jobs on the premise they would be moving him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would. I would ship him for a 2nd this year and a conditional next year no problem but I understand I am in the minority. Hard to believe the owner who just paid him, a GM and a HC would be in agreement with me on this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a Stroud fan but he really did impress vs. Georgia.
He’s not elite enough to pass on Anderson.

The ONLY way I’d pass on Anderson is VJ and the current defensive staff is retained. They’ve shown they’re terrible at developing LBs.
Oh lord… the idea of VJ getting to screw up the 3rd pick in the draft makes me sick.

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
Feed the trenches please. Grab the best guy available (Anderson/Carter) or trade back for more picks. The Cards need to build the O-line with some young talent to protect whoever is the QB. Center and a guard, plus a CB, RB, tall WR?
Any late round QBs that may slide? I would love the idea of a rookie pushing KM, just don't think the Cards can swing a QB in the first round this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Wasting the first year of a four-year rookie deal on a hard roster reset is extremely dumb and how we arrived where we are now with Kyler.
I disagree. I think we are where we are now because of Kyler the person and our lack of self esteem as a franchise. We stupidly gave Kyler the VIP treatment day 1 and he stupidly ran with it. A lot of guys would have had the awareness to say they want to be treated like any other rookie, want the team to see him earn it, or many other things that natural leaders inherently know. A lot of franchises would be smart enough to not put their young QB in the position to have to do that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You could argue that the Cardinals (Bidwill) knows better now and would hire a GM and HC who would make the young QB earn it every step of the way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose