Tackling vs. Chargers

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing that stood out to me on D is the inability to wrap up when making a tackle. Some of it was going for the big hit but the Chargers had some significant yards after contact.

cardjunkie

Veteran
Reaction score
Brandon Williams certainly never learned to wrap up. On the other hand, I forget who it was but they had a perfect form wrap up tackle.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed. The poor tackling was something I noticed throughout the game. I thought this defensive minded staff would focus on some of these fundamentals.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of teams and not just the Cards exhibiting poor tackling skills so far this preseason and there is a reason for that... I think it's called the helmet rule and guys are trying to adjust and find out what the hell is legal, hence a lot of apprehension while in the act

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of teams and not just the Cards exhibiting poor tackling skills so far this preseason and there is a reason for that... I think it's called the helmet rule and guys are trying to adjust and find out what the hell is legal, hence a lot of apprehension while in the act
This could be the main reason as players don’t know what’s going to get called because it’s up to the refs interpretation of the rule.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
This could be the main reason as players don’t know what’s going to get called because it’s up to the refs interpretation of the rule.

Just a thought OSCF because guys seem tentative... and that assumption seems plausible which also I think will get more defensive players injured because you simply cannot play out of focus and holding back while in a contact sport

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This and the fact that they have limited padded practices to work on fundamental tackling. At this stage in their careers they should know how to tackle. I learned in 5th grade to wrap up and keep my head up. I can’t remember the last time I saw someone actually square up and hit someone instead of flying by and attempt to blow them up and end up missing an arm tackle. Everyone is looking for the big time play instead just going back to the basics. I think the tackling will improve when the starters get more time on the field and there are a few more practices and games. It’s just game one of the season. Not to concerned at this point

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
This and the fact that they have limited padded practices to work on fundamental tackling. At this stage in their careers they should know how to tackle. I learned in 5th grade to wrap up and keep my head up. I can’t remember the last time I saw someone actually square up and hit someone instead of flying by and attempt to blow them up and end up missing an arm tackle. Everyone is looking for the big time play instead just going back to the basics. I think the tackling will improve when the starters get more time on the field and there are a few more practices and games. It’s just game one of the season. Not to concerned at this point

I can remember when I saw someone who was a master of fundamental tackling... Honey Badger before his injury, his form tackling was a thing of beauty but then the shoulder and his knees turned him into a pinball machine

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a few things teams can do to remedy this:

1. Try to get the techniques down right.

2. ignore the rules changes and keep on getting penalized

3. Keep missing tackles and get torched repeatedly.

I kind of think #1 will be the way most teams go.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are a few things teams can do to remedy this:

1. Try to get the techniques down right.

2. ignore the rules changes and keep on getting penalized

3. Keep missing tackles and get torched repeatedly.

I kind of think #1 will be the way most teams go.
Just a thought OSCF because guys seem tentative... and that assumption seems plausible which also I think will get more defensive players injured because you simply cannot play out of focus and holding back while in a contact sport

Guys I agree we missed some tackles but it’s hard to get technique down on bang bang plays. So you can’t lower your helmet but what happens sometimes when you stand some one up on a wrap tackle, your helmets can collide. Isn’t helmet to helmet contact a penalty as well?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In fairness, this staff said they will emphasize physicality not tackling. Tackling is for next training camp. Building foundation with bricks take time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose