Super Bowl LVIII (58)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
lol

You really don’t want to admit you were really wrong even years later.
Thing is, I wasn't wrong. I wanted to draft Mahomes or Watson and the vast majority of the board disagreed, saying the QB class was garbage.

I'm just a realist. I know you can't send a 1st to move up a few spots at that point in the draft, and if we'd done so for Watson or Trubisky, we'd be trashing the franchise. And we would have trashed them that day too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you’re very much underestimating Kansas City‘s defense
No I'm not. Bosa, Young, and Hargraves is a better DL. Warner is better than any LB on the Chiefs roster and it isn't even close. For a good chunk of the game it looked like San Francisco was going to pull away, but they made too many mistakes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI the other popular comment in the bay area is from a picture that shows a Chiefs OL standing in the end zone before Mahomes threw the game winning pass, so it should have been ineligible downfield

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I;'m assuming you mean in OT? If so that's been discussed to death today in the bay area. Shanahan said he took the ball because the defense was exhausted. Between the injuries and the fatigue factor he decided to put his offense out there first so his defense could rest. He was well aware that Mahomes was going to get the ball no matter what.

My big complaint would be given the situation I think they should have gone for it rather than kicking the FG. I think they got "spooked" by 2 plays, the play before it where CMC got stuffed for no gain, and the play a few plays earlier when Mitchell went around right end but it got called back for a hold on the backup TE. The feeling is Shanahan was afraid if they ran it on 3rd down and didn't get it, they'd have to kick the FG, so he threw the ball on 3rd down but it was incomplete due to pass rush so he had to kick it. Had he ran the ball on 3rd down and gained yards he may have had more choice on 4th.

Interestingly apparently the coaches were furious with Mitchell, not the TE for the hold. Despite the look of the play, it was apparently NOT designed to go outside but Mitchell broke it out and then the TE grabbed and held trying to help him get the corner. Apparently the coaches said the entire penalty is Mitchell's fault for trying to go wide.

20 minutes of commercials between the 4th qtr and start of OT wasn’t enough time to get their wind back? I don’t think Shanny called a bad game until that moment. There’s no scenario where not deferring in the new OT format makes sense. If not for a stupid holding penalty on McDuffie they go 3 and out on their first drive of overtime and he gets raked over the coals for that decision more than he already is.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
FYI the other popular comment in the bay area is from a picture that shows a Chiefs OL standing in the end zone before Mahomes threw the game winning pass, so it should have been ineligible downfield
Eh I'd counter that call is missed A LOT. A ton of plays where linemen are blocking downfield would be flagged for ineligible downfield.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wi
That too. But a wasted timeout and not being able to take at least one extra shot hurt too.
th 6 seconds they still could’ve but I think the bad snap the play before where Mahomes saved it scared them. So he said kick it win later. But yeah I thought they were gonna take multiple shots to the endzone for the win.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Wi

th 6 seconds they still could’ve but I think the bad snap the play before where Mahomes saved it scared them. So he said kick it win later. But yeah I thought they were gonna take multiple shots to the endzone for the win.

Man… I was PISSED when they didn’t give it one more shot. I had Chiefs 3 Niners 9 as my Super Bowl square and would have won 1K if they scored on one more shot. Luckily, ended up hitting a free $20, 5 leg parlay that clinched in OT for a $300 payout to somewhat ease my pain from losing out on a possible grand. And only realized that this morning when I looked at my phone.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man… I was PISSED when they didn’t give it one more shot. I had Chiefs 3 Niners 9 as my Super Bowl square and would have won 1K if they scored on one more shot. Luckily, ended up hitting a free $20, 5 leg parlay that clinched in OT for a $300 payout to somewhat ease my pain from losing out on a possible grand. And only realized that this morning when I looked at my phone.
6 seconds and a TO I was a little surprised they didn’t take another shot he could just chuck out the back of the endzone, but like I said the sketchy snap probably spooked them…

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh I'd counter that call is missed A LOT. A ton of plays where linemen are blocking downfield would be flagged for ineligible downfield.

Of course just saying it's a hot topic locally because the photo is pretty clear, ball still in Mahomes hand OL blocking in the end zone because it's a run pass option

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, well, if the 49ers hold Mahomes to three, then it's sudden death, and they have the ball.

Sure, but I knew they were never going to hold them to 3.

If your plan is "Let's hold Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes to 3 or less in overtime of the superbowl" then it's not a great plan in my opinion. I knew as soon the Niners elected to kick a FG it was ending in a TD on the next drive. Or at least, I knew the odds were incredibly high.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That wouldn't have won it, though...you're sounding like Tony Romo, who apparently didn't pay attention to the rule change. He said the exact same thing during telecast...and he was wrong.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the Niners wouldn't have lost on the next drive had they gone for it and got the TD.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure, but I knew they were never going to hold them to 3.

If your plan is "Let's hold Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes to 3 or less in overtime of the superbowl" then it's not a great plan in my opinion. I knew as soon the Niners elected to kick a FG it was ending in a TD on the next drive. Or at least, I knew the odds were incredibly high.

STOP with the 'I knew.' ;)

You may have had a feeling, a foreboding, a suspicion, etc., etc... BUT you did not Know.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
STOP with the 'I knew.' ;)

What? I'm not trying to act like I'm some football visionary, it's just my opinion. It's Andy Reid and Mahomes. They are the best HC and QB duo in the league on a team that has consistently had one of the best offenses in the league for the last 5 years, appeared in 4 of the last 5 superbowls and won 3 of them.

They are the masters of clutch football and there isn't a team in the league I'd like to go up against to stop a game winning drive for the Superbowl. When the Niners took 3 and said "Go drive to win it" I was confident it was going to happen because of those reasons. I thought the Niners were naive or over confident to think they were going to restrict them to 3 or less.

I didn't "know", it's just a common phrase people use, but I was 80% confident and I was saying as much to the TV but it didn't listen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather see mahomes get 10 than the niners win. That trey lance trade will cripple them. They are an aging team and their fans are worried we are coming. I love it I love it!!!!!
Their fans are worried about US? They are more delusional than I thought...

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
fwiw:

on illegal man downfield --

OLs can be further than 1 yard past the line of scrimmage IF they were actively blocking a defender

on the clips I saw -- the two Chief offensive linemen 3 yards past the line of scrimmage when Mahomes let go of the ball were actively blocking a 49er DL.

I think no-call was the right call

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd