Super Bowl 2020 Chiefs vs Niners gameday thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've long been a critic of Andy Reid, a good coach that has had a fatal flaw, game management.

Really happy to see him win a game in the most un-Andy Reid style imaginable. His MO when trailing has been to run long, clock chewing drives that are self defeating. Tonight the Chiefs managed the clock masterfully, engineering a virtually perfect set of drives to snatch the game away from the Niners.

Sometimes an old dog can learn new tricks.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The NE game was on the defense not him.

In this one, they have the best playcalling offense in the league IMO. Jimmy G is a good not great QB as we saw at the end when needed he didn't come through. But with the run game and Kittle they've got this great play action stuff and all the misdirection.

KC just made the plays when they had to. I don't fault Shanahan at all he got this far with a good QB, just not good enough to make the plays when they needed it.

I agree it’s not solely his fault, but I figured with his offense not scoring a single point in either 4th quarter that he would have to answer to that.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Say whatever you want, but the Chiefs don’t win the SB if they didn’t have Mahommes behind center.

Sure he didn’t have his best game for 3 1/2 quarters but with the game on the line, facing an almost certain loss, #15 won that ring for his team!!! He made the throw on 3rd & 15 with 7 mins left, down 10 that gave them hope, then hit the long pass to Watkins with 3:30 left that set them up for the lead.

Bottom line is Mahommes made the plays with the game on the line & Jimmy G didn’t. I have zero problem with him winning MVP, but if I were voting it would’ve been Co MVP with Mahommes & Williams. #15 deserved credit without a doubt imo.

Heck! Make it a 3-way and include the DT who kept batting down passes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best part of game was Sherman getting beat for a big play to help seal the win.
Especially after hearing Deion Sanders talk about how he’s the best CB in the game and said no way will he get beat in this game on this stage. He even touted him as a possible MVP winner for the game.

considering the deep hate for Sherman since the Seattle days. Seeing his face after getting burned was priceless.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Say whatever you want, but the Chiefs don’t win the SB if they didn’t have Mahommes behind center.

Sure he didn’t have his best game for 3 1/2 quarters but with the game on the line, facing an almost certain loss, #15 won that ring for his team!!! He made the throw on 3rd & 15 with 7 mins left, down 10 that gave them hope, then hit the long pass to Watkins with 3:30 left that set them up for the lead.

Bottom line is Mahommes made the plays with the game on the line & Jimmy G didn’t. I have zero problem with him winning MVP, but if I were voting it would’ve been Co MVP with Mahommes & Williams. #15 deserved credit without a doubt imo.

True, but Watkins and Hill got themselves open, I mean wide open. Holmes would never have had a chance if their WRs didn't get separation/open they way they did. They ran awesome routes and they had some awesome plays put in.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but Watkins and Hill got themselves open, I mean wide open. Holmes would never have had a chance if their WRs didn't get separation/open they way they did. They ran awesome routes and they had some awesome plays put in.

wiliams deserves it more. He was hard as nails all game long with clutch catches and 3rd and 4th down run conversions. His stats overall and his TD production should have warranted MVP hands down. But it’s not a sexy pick like the guys that threw 2 inters and was dropping balls in the dirt for a stretch and was a big reason for having to come back. And your right thise two huge catches those WR. We’re so open I could’ve made the throws. Lol

But unfortunately for Williams he’s not the “sexy” pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Best part of game was Sherman getting beat for a big play to help seal the win.
Especially after hearing Deion Sanders talk about how he’s the best CB in the game and said no way will he get beat in this game on this stage. He even touted him as a possible MVP winner for the game.

considering the deep hate for Sherman since the Seattle days. Seeing his face after getting burned was priceless.

One of my single favorite things to see in the NFL, is Richard Sherman get beat a lose.

Overrated cover two corner.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And SF paid $13 Million for that.

Will SF spend another $13 Million on him in 2020 or cut him?

They keep him. Hes still effective as a cover 2 corner.

But they lose Armstead and a few other good players. They still have to pay Kittle and Buckner and dont have a ton of cap space. Juszczyk probably is too expensive to keep. Emmanuel Sanders probably gone too.

My thoughts on the Niners is that Jimmy G isnt dynamic enough. He relies on a really good supporting cast, but he isnt a QB that can put the team on his back and win.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All we need now is an experienced winning head coach, elite TE, top end WR, adequate defense, and the best young QB in the league.

An oversimplification to say the least.

Its all about having wrs that can get open and run in space, Tyreek Hill, Jerry Jeudy

a TE who can run routes and catch. You wont get Kelce but there are palatable options in the NFL (Hooper)

We wont have an adequate defense for a while but that wont matter when you have Kyler Murray slinging it to jeudy over top and everyone else underneath.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were some head scratching calls in that SB...

Matt Ryan 7-step drop on 3rd and 1 in the 4th qtr up 16 (sack/fumble)

2nd and 11 at NE’s 23 up by 8 with 4 min left. 10 yard sack followed by holding. Call two runs = FG = game pretty much over

The defense obviously imploded but should’ve never gotten to that point.

Just read a tweet that says based on win probability from score and time etc, the 2 most improbable losses in SB history were SF yesterday, and Atlanta againt NE, both with Shanahan calling the plays.

Ouch looks like you guys are right.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to NFL Live.....Bosa had 12 pressures on the QB last night. #Beast.

Nobody is talking about it but look at the last td run by Williams, Fisher not only grabs Bosa from behind he basically tackles him. Call that back for a hold and it's 2nd and 16. KC will run twice, I think SF had their timeouts so if they stop them twice they force a punt or a long FG. So they either get the ball back down 7 or down 4. They still probably lose but I was really surprised they didn't call that one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They keep him. Hes still effective as a cover 2 corner.

But they lose Armstead and a few other good players. They still have to pay Kittle and Buckner and dont have a ton of cap space. Juszczyk probably is too expensive to keep. Emmanuel Sanders probably gone too.

My thoughts on the Niners is that Jimmy G isnt dynamic enough. He relies on a really good supporting cast, but he isnt a QB that can put the team on his back and win.

I read this earlier today. One of the reasons they went to Colin over Smith was that Smith would check down when the big play was open, or he'd overthrow the guy because he was so afraid of making the mistake(the INT) that he'd just overshoot. The if your guy can't catch it make sure nobody else can was too strong for him he'd miss big plays by being afraid to make a good throw. Live I thought Jimmy just rushed that throw but on replay it sure looks like he had time he just overthrew it. as a guy on ESPN said last night in the NFL that's open, maybe not wide open but that's open. The worst thing you can do there as a QB is overthrow it. If the DB makes a great play and bats it down ok, if he picks it ok it's a punt, but when Sanders is open you have to at least give him a chance to catch it you can't overthrow it.

For the most part people are blaming Shanahan though and after looking at the stats again it makes sense. they ran the ball 4 times after they went up 10 points, I think they called 13 pass plays, and they got more yards from the 4 run plays

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
[emoji190]

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Love this guy!