Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a time frame where Okogie was looking like he was going to be a lock down defender and a decent 3 point shooter. Then all of the sudden, game after game he kept passing up shots. The other teams starting identifying that and leaving him out there to sag down. Royce is just more of a brash personality. His mentality is if you leave me I am shooting.
That time ended during the first couple games of the playoffs last year. And then became glaringly obvious it didn’t change almost immediately to open the season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Until proven otherwise, gotta agree. The Suns have lost 10 games this season when ahead going into the 4th quarter. The next worst team in the league has lost 9 games… and that’s woeful Wizards. Truly awful company to keep there.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Royce is also incredibly smart, and he does just about everything well enough. He is not the best defender, he is not the best shooter, he is not the best facilitator, but he is incredibly competent in every single category. He can bring the ball up the floor, he can make simple passes, he stays in front of his man, he helps on defense, he can knock down an open shot, he'll grab a rebound or a loose ball once in a while- he just doesn't have a glaring weakness.

He anticipates rebounds well. Many times pre-Oneale we would lose a ton of loose balls by simply standing there and watch it bounce to an open area and the other team scoops it back up and scores.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Until proven otherwise, gotta agree. The Suns have lost 10 games this season when ahead going into the 4th quarter. The next worst team in the league has lost 9 games… and that’s woeful Wizards. Truly awful company to keep there.
Unfortunately, I can't say I disagree either. They are just lacking in too many key areas (ballhandling, defense, rebounding, interior play) that I can't not see it eventually catching up to them when the playoffs get serious.

I mean, if they had a brilliant coach or something, who could scheme to overcome those problems, I would give them a puncher's chance. But I already know that Vogel is going to cause way more complications for them then he is going to solve... so, yeah.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't say I disagree either. They are just lacking in too many key areas (ballhandling, defense, rebounding, interior play) that I can't see it eventually catching up to them when the playoffs get serious.

I mean, if they had a brilliant coach or something, who could scheme to overcome those problems, I would give them a puncher's chance. But I already know that Vogel is going to cause way more complications for them then he is going to solve... so, yeah.
They’re just so such a 5 or 6 seed. Reality is that or 5 or 6 seed just doesn’t jVe a great chance of winning the title.

Also, I am drunk.

VIVA LA BORG!!!!!!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damien Lee is a nice guy but IMO gordon is much, much better.
He is better but for me it depends on which Lee we're talking about. He started off great last season and I believe led the league in 3pt% for awhile. He was a weak defender but when you're making just shy of .50% of your shots from distance (with good volume), you can survive his defense. But when his 3pt shooting dropped 15 percentage points, his atrocious defense put him on the bench most nights.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Damion is just too weak on D and became unreliable on 3s late last season. The team has no place for him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They’re just so such a 5 or 6 seed. Reality is that or 5 or 6 seed just doesn’t jVe a great chance of winning the title.

Also, I am drunk.

VIVA LA BORG!!!!!!

I think, if healthy, we have a real shot to pull an upset in round 1, regardless of seed... but to pull 4 rounds of upsets... and to stay healthy for even a few weeks straight, seems almost impossible right now.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damion is just too weak on D and became unreliable on 3s late last season. The team has no place for him.
I’ve wanted him gone for sometime. But we’ve been good to guys injured in keeping them on the roster.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isaiah Thomas, could he be any worse than Saben? Would he be such a liability from outside. I think he could handle and push the tempo, relatively low miles, we wouldn’t need him to be the number 1-3 guy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isaiah Thomas, could he be any worse than Saben? Would he be such a liability from outside. I think he could handle and push the tempo, relatively low miles, we wouldn’t need him to be the number 1-3 guy.

That's not a bad idea. I wouldn't be against giving him a 10 day contract, if those are still available. He used to be a clutch finisher as well. Not that he'd solve our 4th quarter woes on his own but it would be nice to see the team make a move like that acknowledging them.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. I wouldn't be against giving him a 10 day contract, if those are still available. He used to be a clutch finisher as well. Not that he'd solve our 4th quarter woes on his own but it would be nice to see the team make a move like that acknowledging them.

Not to mention he has experience in big games. The old regime is gone from the suns.

I mean Dragic even came to sniff around.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, there are two reasons that something that would make sense won't happen:
1. James Jones
2. Frank Vogel
When the Suns season ends in disappointment yet again, look at these two numbskulls as the
major reason.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, there are two reasons that something that would make sense won't happen:
1. James Jones
2. Frank Vogel
When the Suns season ends in disappointment yet again, look at these two numbskulls as the
major reason.
I really think, if we do keep losing, Ishbia is not afraid or cheap to make a change. I can see Sarver just ride or die with whoever because he was too lazy and cheap to really do any real heavy lifting. Everything I read about Ishbia is he is a success driven guy. Ishbia believes in results. Ishbia just doesn't think, well we are good enough compared to Rocket Mortgage, might as well be content as number two. Not even close. Ishbia seems focused on those mortgages numbers proving his company is the largest in the industry. I look at the Mercury, he brought in a top talent at GM. I am in wait and see mode on the coach. But he wasn't afraid to clean house with the Mercury. I see similar things with the Suns if we don't get results.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really think, if we do keep losing, Ishbia is not afraid or cheap to make a change. I can see Sarver just ride or die with whoever because he was too lazy and cheap to really do any real heavy lifting. Everything I read about Ishbia is he is a success driven guy. Ishbia believes in results. Ishbia just doesn't think, well we are good enough compared to Rocket Mortgage, might as well be content as number two. Not even close. Ishbia seems focused on those mortgages numbers proving his company is the largest in the industry. I look at the Mercury, he brought in a top talent at GM. I am in wait and see mode on the coach. But he wasn't afraid to clean house with the Mercury. I see similar things with the Suns if we don't get results.

Ishbia stated he will want to keep guys like Oneale and Allen. The suns hands are tied, they have to pay to keep guys who aren't minimum level players.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ishbia stated he will want to keep guys like Oneale and Allen. The suns hands are tied, they have to pay to keep guys who aren't minimum level players.
That's how we are going to create tradable pieces. I like both guys. They seem like keepers.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I saw a stat today, when the big three all score over 20 points in a game, the Suns are 5-0.