Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Cheese and I and brother-who-shall-not-post were all at the game. It was surreal. Hazy. As soon as gonzo got the base hit the entire ballpark went totally nutso. We had the wherewithal to throw a disposable camera at the guy sitting in front of us to snap the pic of the three of us. I had that pic included in a display of my two World Series tix and the front page of the Arizona Republic the next day. I had the display hanging in my office at my new employer. My boss told me to take it down asking “why would you hang a photo of you and buddies drunk?” That’s how deliriously joyful we were - we weren’t drunk.
Would love to see a pic of that pic!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Julius Randle is reportedly gettable but I don’t think they can take on that much salary during the process of a sale. We’re pretty much stuck for better or worse.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Julius Randle is reportedly gettable but I don’t think they can take on that much salary during the process of a sale. We’re pretty much stuck for better or worse.
How much does Randle make? Why not trade Jae, Dario and Craig and picks? Randle slides into Cam’s spot. Cam goes back to the bench.

We get beefier up front with another desperately needed playmaker and get Cam J’s shooting back off the bench.

Eek… his 3 point shot is awful this year though.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much does Randle make? Why not trade Jae, Dario and Craig and picks? Randle slides into Cam’s spot. Cam goes back to the bench.

We get beefier up front with another desperately needed playmaker and get Cam J’s shooting back off the bench.

Eek… his 3 point shot is awful this year though.
Randle’s fluke year was the good one. He is a very flawed player on a bad contract.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam's such a likeable guy, plays hard, sneaky athletic, incredible shooter and, other than Booker, the only guy who never hesitates when left open. He's made over a quarter of the TEAMs 3 point shots and doing so at a 44% clip... the rest of the team is shooting roughly 33% from 3.

We've had some good luck avoiding major injuries that last few years. Sure, a lot of guys missed time last year but it was a LOT of little things, Chris Paul's thumb being the worst of the bunch.

Really hope it's a sprain or a bad contusion... I don't want to hear any 3 letter knee terms tomorrow.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cam's such a likeable guy, plays hard, sneaky athletic, incredible shooter and, other than Booker, the only guy who never hesitates when left open. He's made over a quarter of the TEAMs 3 point shots and doing so at a 44% clip... the rest of the team is shooting roughly 33% from 3.

We've had some good luck avoiding major injuries that last few years. Sure, a lot of guys missed time last year but it was a LOT of little things, Chris Paul's thumb being the worst of the bunch.

Really hope it's a sprain or a bad contusion... I don't want to hear any 3 letter knee terms tomorrow.
I fear he’s gonna be one of those guys who’s just unreliable because he’s always injured.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I fear he’s gonna be one of those guys who’s just unreliable because he’s always injured.

Outside of the thigh thing last year, he's been pretty solid, most of his other games missed were illness related or some minor dings that only put him out a day or 2.

But this season he is off to a rough start. A potentially serious injury tonight along with being banged up and having to play through pain in like 3 games already.

I don't know if he's fragile or if he is trying to hard to be tough and putting himself in dangerous spots, either way, he needs to ease up a bit on putting himself in positions to get ran over by bigger dudes.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
It’s definitely an all time sports/life moment for us and the picture perfectly encapsulates the joy/madness exploding out of us.
I had the chance to go to Boise state - Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl but passed. Dad and Grandpa went. Can’t imagine being there during that!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think Cam Johnson might be better suited to playing shooting guard or small forward. The Suns really need a power forward to play with Ayton.

Maybe the Suns could play more wings like the Clippers in certain situations to take advantage of Cam, but the Suns are not really built this way. Suns need to figure out a way to play Cam but in a less demanding role physically.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I had the chance to go to Boise state - Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl but passed. Dad and Grandpa went. Can’t imagine being there during that!
You saw an absolute classic. I recall watching that game and being blown away over and over again by what what Boise state was pulling outta the hat.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Outside of the thigh thing last year, he's been pretty solid, most of his other games missed were illness related or some minor dings that only put him out a day or 2.

But this season he is off to a rough start. A potentially serious injury tonight along with being banged up and having to play through pain in like 3 games already.

I don't know if he's fragile or if he is trying to hard to be tough and putting himself in dangerous spots, either way, he needs to ease up a bit on putting himself in positions to get ran over by bigger dudes.
Cam and Mikal have somewhat similar body types and one is fragile and the other is an iron man. Cam isn’t soft but he doesn’t have a body built for durability. He almost looks like AD after contact or a fall. There’s a grimace/limp most times.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam and Mikal have somewhat similar body types and one is fragile and the other is an iron man. Cam isn’t soft but he doesn’t have a body built for durability. He almost looks like AD after contact or a fall. There’s a grimace/limp most times.

Cam is also asked to play power forward when he should be playing SF.

But Cams health is becoming a real issue

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’ve long suspected that Flex’s “source” is one of the trainers, he is saying torn meniscus.

Not the worst case but not good news.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Cam officially ruled out of tonight's game with the knee injury, no further explanation or diagnosis was given

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is reported testing indicates Cam Johnson has a meniscus injury although further tests will be done.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones needs to get on it. Now we have a giant hole at PF.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
James Jones needs to get on it. Now we have a giant hole at PF.
There was discussion on the radio that having Crowder back is probably better than anyone we would get in a trade for him. Interesting take. If true, then why not extend him? Is it just the timing of the ownership issue?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was discussion on the radio that having Crowder back is probably better than anyone we would get in a trade for him. Interesting take. If true, then why not extend him? Is it just the timing of the ownership issue?

There are not many players available.

I think Crowder should honor his contract and return. Then if he wants to be traded later in the season the Suns can still seek a trade up until the trade deadline.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There are not many players available.

I think Crowder should honor his contract and return. Then if he wants to be traded later in the season the Suns can still seek a trade up until the trade deadline.
Except Crowder is thinking, what if that had been me that got hurt instead of Cam right before a trade?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except Crowder is thinking, what if that had been me that got hurt instead of Cam right before a trade?

Crowder has already earned some decent money with Boston and Phoenix, not big money, but I think commensurate with his value.

Cam Johnson hasn't.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Crowder has already earned some decent money with Boston and Phoenix, not big money, but I think commensurate with his value.

Cam Johnson hasn't.
I know, but I was talking Crowder's thoughts, not Cam's. That's why guys don't play before trades.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, but I was talking Crowder's thoughts, not Cam's. That's why guys don't play before trades.

I think most players play before a trade until it's in the works and in the process of being formalized.

In regard to Crowder, I don't know how he thinks nor really care at this point.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is reported testing indicates Cam Johnson has a meniscus injury although further tests will be done.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At one point tonight the Blazer's Keon Johnson went to the line and Vince Marotta (the Suns PA guy) accidentally referred to him as "Cam Johnson", leading to an audible sad groan from the fans.

No slight on Vince, great guy, as funny in person as on the radio, great PA, great bar fly, and someone I suspect lurks here.