Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that? Did we have a trade in the works or something, since Tatum went the pick before our turn came up?

Passing on Tatum isn't the right phrasing. Supposedly, the Celtics wanted Josh Jackson but we convinced Jackson to refuse to workout for them, allowing Jackson to "slip" to us.

I was also under the impression that it was a McD scheme.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Passing on Tatum isn't the right phrasing. Supposedly, the Celtics wanted Josh Jackson but we convinced Jackson to refuse to workout for them, allowing Jackson to "slip" to us.

I was also under the impression that it was a McD scheme.
Well, that I'm aware of but I also heard that Ainge was quite surprised to learn he was supposedly interested in Jackson. So was I. Tatum was easily the better player in college, clearly the superior pro prospect and didn't come with all the off court warning signs that accompanied Josh.

Let's face it, McD was a goof and his supposed strength (player evaluation) was clearly deficient unless Sarver overrode everyone of Ryan's decisions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Except we didn't choose Stix over Haliburton. We passed on Tyrese because they wouldn't give us his medical records, wouldn't work out for us, wouldn't interview with us, claimed he wouldn't play for us and all this happened in the year where Covid cancelled March Madness, leaving us with inadequate scouting information.
And yet a bunch of us lay people still knew that he was the pick. Weird.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet a bunch of us lay people still knew that he was the pick. Weird.
Yeah, a lot of fans wanted him. I wasn't one of them. I wouldn't touch a player that we couldn't interview or work out or get medical information on. Too big of a risk IMO. It worked against us here. And Spurs fans are still upset that Pop passed on him too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The story is we brought in Tatum to work out for us. They had him shooting threes, and he was on a streak. The coaches had him hitting an absurd number of threes without a miss. Supposedly, Sarver came out of the stands and had them stop the shooting display, and said the try out was over. His argument was we already had Booker who shot threes. We didn't need to draft another guy to shoot threes, also.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The story is we brought in Tatum to work out for us. They had him shooting threes, and he was on a streak. The coaches had him hitting an absurd number of threes without a miss. Supposedly, Sarver came out of the stands and had them stop the shooting display, and said the try out was over. His argument was we already had Booker who shot threes. We didn't need to draft another guy to shoot threes, also.
I hadn't heard that but if it's true, it's just one more reason we are better off without Sarver.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess Sarver had never talked to Cotton Fitzsimmons. Never can have enough shooters.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns check out Eric Paschall if he clears waivers.

Don't know why the Timberwolves waived him but he has been on my radar for a while.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of fans wanted him. I wasn't one of them. I wouldn't touch a player that we couldn't interview or work out or get medical information on. Too big of a risk IMO. It worked against us here. And Spurs fans are still upset that Pop passed on him too.
It was so obvious and at a time where we needed a pg. it was mind numbing when we passed on him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember the thread during the draft. We all assumed Halliburton was the pick. When New York picked at 8 there were 3 players who we had eyes on, Toppin, Halliburton and someone else and Halliburton fell to us and we passed. So stupid.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was so obvious and at a time where we needed a pg. it was mind numbing when we passed on him.
Not only that but we still struggle to find pieces we need to fill out this roster. Man this KG thing killed us in terms of acquiring either a legit PF or PG/SG combo. Sooooooo many players moved this offseason.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a recent tweet from Sham Charania about the Suns talking to a title contender in the East.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bucks are one of the teams reportedly interested in Jae Crowder as a replacement for PJ Tucker.

Allen has toned it down in recent years imo, he does have a history, but i'd rather have a guy like that on our team than play against him. I think he's grown into a better basketball player and hopefully person/professional.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allen has toned it down in recent years imo, he does have a history, but i'd rather have a guy like that on our team than play against him. I think he's grown into a better basketball player and hopefully person/professional.

I'm not particularly high on Allen but he has recently shown more point guard skills which might make him more attractive.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was a recent tweet from Sham Charania about the Suns talking to a title contender in the East.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah, in the article he confirms it's the Bucks, also says Atlanta and Miami are believed to be interested.

Bucks don't have a lot to offer.

Looks to me like it would have to be Serge Ibaka, Grayson Allen, Pat Conaghton, or Joe Ingles. None of those guys really excite me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in the article he confirms it's the Bucks, also says Atlanta and Miami are believed to be interested.

Bucks don't have a lot to offer.

Looks to me like it would have to be Serge Ibaka, Grayson Allen, Pat Conaghton, or Joe Ingles. None of those guys really excite me.

A trade with the Bucks might have to involve a third team, as could some of the other rumored trade partners. The Bucks really don't have any good options now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen is on the Bucks, i dont see him going anywhere because i dont think we have anything the Bucks want.
Bucks want Jae Crowder. The only realistic salary match is Grayson and that match is still not exact.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not wait with a Jae Crowder trade? His value is what it is. No need to be desperate. It's only desperation that drops his value. Who knows what might happen with another team between now and the deadline? Maybe a decent player we need becomes available. If another team that wants to contend gets off to a slow start, maybe the pull the trigger on a Crowder trade: Miami, Atlanta, Brooklyn, Boston. Or maybe Utah continues winning and needs to dump more talent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not wait with a Jae Crowder trade? His value is what it is. No need to be desperate. It's only desperation that drops his value. Who knows what might happen with another team between now and the deadline? Maybe a decent player we need becomes available. If another team that wants to contend gets off to a slow start, maybe the pull the trigger on a Crowder trade: Miami, Atlanta, Brooklyn, Boston. Or maybe Utah continues winning and needs to dump more talent.

There are likely better trades for Crowder to be made later in the season, but I'm concerned about Cam Johnson getting banged up too much. The Suns do have an open roster spot available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard