Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could live in that practice facility!!! :)

They have apartments or dorms there so players can stay there if they choose in between road trips or something. I doubt they'd allow someone to stay there indefinitely but then again who is telling Chris Paul he can't call the practice facility home? They might tell Elfrid Payton to get a hotel though. ;)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have apartments or dorms there so players can stay there if they choose in between road trips or something. I doubt they'd allow someone to stay there indefinitely but then again who is telling Chris Paul he can't call the practice facility home? They might tell Elfrid Payton to get a hotel though. ;)

I think @Yuma and I were planning on living there. :cool:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Chris Paul not count? I mean, what you said kind of reinforces what Steve said. We can't sign big time free agents but we can make trades for them.

Everyone we've added by trade has been happy to be here from Chris Paul to Kelly Oubre to Landry Shamet. All of the players with value we've traded for have reupped here going back to Bledsoe. That's not to say relationships didn't change but I can't of anyone who was angry or upset we traded for them.
To be fair the Suns traded for him. That's not the same thing as FA clamoring to come here. When is the last huge FA signing here? Also, Chris Paul wanted to play with Booker. Every off season for the past 10 seasons this entire board was lit up with stars we would target with cap space (when we had it). So, yes we can trade for them but back in the JC era players WANTED to come here. Big difference.

The Suns appeared to be turning things around. Nothing but positivity coming out. Sarver seemingly took a back seat. My gosh. They just hit the big RESET button on SARVER in a bad way. My biggest issue is the timing and the unnecessary of it all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair the Suns traded for him. That's not the same thing as FA clamoring to come here. When is the last huge FA signing here? Also, Chris Paul wanted to play with Booker. Every off season for the past 10 seasons this entire board was lit up with stars we would target with cap space (when we had it). So, yes we can trade for them but back in the JC era players WANTED to come here. Big difference.

The Suns appeared to be turning things around. Nothing but positivity coming out. Sarver seemingly took a back seat. My gosh. They just hit the big RESET button on SARVER in a bad way. My biggest issue is the timing and the unnecessary of it all.

There are not many teams clearing cap space hoping to sign a big name free agent.

The superstar type players are moving around in sign-and-trades much like Chris Paul.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are not many teams clearing cap space hoping to sign a big name free agent.

The superstar type players are moving around in sign-and-trades much like Chris Paul.
I was referring to all the times the Suns in the last decade shed salary, cleared cap space and the word was they were going to make a splash in FA. It's happened multiple times under Sarver.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referring to all the times the Suns in the last decade shed salary, cleared cap space and the word was they were going to make a splash in FA. It's happened multiple times under Sarver.
I don't think it happened quite as often as the rumors suggested but yes, like many teams they tried a few times to position themselves to be able to sign a big name and failed. Most of the "don't haves" met with a similar level of failure.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand this is the way star players have changed teams in the past but sign-and-trades is the way most teams do it now. Waiting around and hoping will get a GM fired.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns Nuggets

We saw last night some platoon style substitutions. The entire second unit played together:

Payne
Shamet
Mcgee
Johnson
Nader

I thought they played with a lot of energy and held their own. But it still feels like that unit is trying to figure things out too. I guess adding those two pieces in Shamet and McGee were bigger pieces than we thought.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen A Smith doesn't believe the Suns will return to WCF.

If it doesn't happen, I don't think it will be because of the contract negotiations with Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns Nuggets

We saw last night some platoon style substitutions. The entire second unit played together:

Payne
Shamet
Mcgee
Johnson
Nader

I thought they played with a lot of energy and held their own. But it still feels like that unit is trying to figure things out too. I guess adding those two pieces in Shamet and McGee were bigger pieces than we thought.

Yeah, and I get that is the eventual plan to do an entire second unit switch like that - but I think we should have still staggered our starters with them in the first game against a good oponent.

Shamet played really well last night actually.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If it doesn't happen, I don't think it will be because of the contract negotiations with Ayton.

Take this for what it is - a guy trying to make something out of nothing.

He will be totally reversing this BS when we have the best record in the league in a few weeks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take this for what it is - a guy trying to make something out of nothing.

He will be totally reversing this BS when we have the best record in the league in a few weeks.

It's easy to throw BS out there that will be forgotten well before the season really kicks into gear, which is usually between Christmas day and MLK day. Right now it's essentially preseason that counts. If yesterdays game mattered then Booker would have played more than 30 minutes.

I'm so grateful the Suns are playing meaningful basketball again instead of celebrating every win because you don't know when the next will be. There's 81 games to go. The only thing that matters now is getting everyone in game shape.

This season is the first in 3 years that should be on a normal schedule as well. We had a short postseason, although it was nothing like the bubble turnaround.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

First off Stephen A Smith IS A TOOL. Second, it definitely will have nothing to do with it unless Ayton has a complete mental breakdown and lets it fester all season. I just don't see Monty or Paul who have his ear letting that happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off Stephen A Smith IS A TOOL. Second, it definitely will have nothing to do with unless Ayton has a completely mental breakdown and lets it fester all season. I just don't see Monty or Paul who have his ear letting that happen.

Yeah, I just ran across it and thought it would get the blood flowing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I just ran across it and thought it would get the blood flowing.

He's good at getting a reaction, which is his job. I'd never seek out his opinion but when I see it I feel more inclined to respond than with the average bad take.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I love the relationship Booker and Paul have. It's rare to see them alone in press conferences after games, especially Booker. I remember seeing Booker in the back of the room behind the press during the finals when CP3 was interviewed. He just soaks up everything he can.

Booker was a leader before Paul arrived but seems happy to take a backseat and learn from Paul now that he's here. You don't see that happen much in sports with how athletes are. The Suns and Booker will be better off having had Paul to show him the way once he's back in the big dog role.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are overreacting right now as usual. I am giving the team at least 10 games before I formulate any kind of judgement. New faces and the Suns are sneaking up on NOBODY this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson