Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I dont remember specifics but he did mention being a psychopath when it comes to the "game". The usual all-talk from Ayton.
Ayton is a very candid guy and with him being that way I would rather hear overconfidence than a lack of confidence.

Imagine if he had said something that suggested he doesn't care or that he prefers to be passive. Everyone would lose their mind over that.

Ultimately he is going to talk as that is who he is. I would rather hear confidence than the opposite.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton is a very candid guy and with him being that way I would rather hear overconfidence than a lack of confidence.

Imagine if he had said something that suggested he doesn't care or that he prefers to be passive. Everyone would lose their mind over that.

Ultimately he is going to talk as that is who he is. I would rather hear confidence than the opposite.
I’d rather he just let his play do the talking. I know he’s going to be interviewed and has to respond, but frankly I’m a bit worn on his chest thumping.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’d rather he just let his play do the talking. I know he’s going to be interviewed and has to respond, but frankly I’m a bit worn on his chest thumping.
Sure, but that just isn't his personality and that's just the way it is.

Like I said he is going to give a candid response when asked a question and a confident answer is way better than the opposite.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Like I said he is going to give a candid response when asked a question and a confident answer is way better than the opposite.
Also better to see an actual response than some canned bullcrap fed to him by the team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah... I don’t see it as a confident answer... I see it as a wildly overconfident answer. And my issue with it is if the statement is truly indicative of his actual mindset, that is a big problem because a guy who truly believes the stupid stuff he says likely doesn’t possess the self-awareness to know he HASN’T matched his previous words. Which means he might believe he doesn’t have to get much better to live up to his own hype.

you present the discussion in terms of well, I’d rather he be overconfident than not confident. But it’s not a binary choice as you make it seem. There’s also the option of quiet confidence, saying he’ll let his play do his talking on the court, instead of his mouth or tattoos on his body. Especially in light of never living up to his bluster to this point.

To be totally honest, all his bluster wreaks of insecurity and NOT genuine confidence about who he really is.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah... I don’t see it as a confident answer... I see it as a wildly overconfident answer. And my issue with it is if the statement is truly indicative of his actual mindset, that is a big problem because a guy who truly believes the stupid stuff he says likely doesn’t possess the self-awareness to know he HASN’T matched his previous words. Which means he might believe he doesn’t have to get much better to live up to his own hype.

you present the discussion in terms of well, I’d rather he be overconfident than not confident. But it’s not a binary choice as you make it seem. There’s also the option of quiet confidence, saying he’ll let his play do his talking on the court, instead of his mouth or tattoos on his body. Especially in light of never living up to his bluster to this point.

To be totally honest, all his bluster wreaks of insecurity and NOT genuine confidence about who he really is.
So what exactly was the statement? I have yet to actually hear a clip of it or see a quote of it.

That being said Ayton is who he is and you wishing it to be another way isn't going to change anything. He will always be a guy that comes out and just says whatever he is thinking for better or worse. As to whether he is saying something completely over the top or not I would need to actually see/hear exactly what he said.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

If he continues to say things that he can't back up, that's on him. Many people have already decided he doesn't live up to what he is saying, and in some instances, that is the case. But it doesn't really matter.

You are not going to believe anything he says anyway, so who cares what he says? Are you expecting Monty to make personnel decisions based on Ayton's interviews? Of course not. If you are already deciding to not take anything he says seriously, then why do you care what he says at all?

People keep saying he "shouldn't" keep running his mouth off about his performance. Why? Even if he's wrong, who cares? Are you upset that he makes your expectations so high only to be dashed later? It sounds like for most people that ship has already sailed.

Never mind the fact that he IS historically amongst the best centers in league history at his age. I'm not saying that he is backing up what he's saying. I'm just saying it doesn't matter what he says.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’m not sure I agree. overconfidence typically leads to bad decision making, arrogance and laziness. Sounds exactly like Ayton at present with his suspension and lack of aggression.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If he continues to say things that he can't back up, that's on him. Many people have already decided he doesn't live up to what he is saying, and in some instances, that is the case. But it doesn't really matter.

You are not going to believe anything he says anyway, so who cares what he says? Are you expecting Monty to make personnel decisions based on Ayton's interviews? Of course not. If you are already deciding to not take anything he says seriously, then why do you care what he says at all?

People keep saying he "shouldn't" keep running his mouth off about his performance. Why? Even if he's wrong, who cares? Are you upset that he makes your expectations so high only to be dashed later? It sounds like for most people that ship has already sailed.

Never mind the fact that he IS historically amongst the best centers in league history at his age. I'm not saying that he is backing up what he's saying. I'm just saying it doesn't matter what he says.
It matters bc it gives insight into his mindset and whether we can count on more from him or if in his opinion he’s a finished product and done improving.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He doesn’t have any awareness. He still talks like he’s in awe of teammates and opposing players. Again it’s not his fault for being who he is.., the Suns weren’t forced to draft him but McD never did any deep psychological dives on prospects before drafting them.

You just hope he develops into a productive two way guy but he’s never going to be a “psychopath” or “savage” in the basketball sense.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, i hate listening...wait i mean hearing him talk. I listened nothing came of it, now i'm tired of hearing him speak. His lack of attacking and aggressiveness, which also reflects on free throw attempts, while putting up a lot of talk is a huge negative for me. Yes he puts up stats but his game could be more impactful if he did back up his word. Maybe if he never got suspended i would have a different view of him, but that also said a lot about Ayton the person.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not like he's declaring himself as Wilt Chamberlain. And really, what hasn't he backed up? Sure, he says he wants to dominate the league. Ok, fine. All NBA players would like to do it, just because he voices it publicly doesn't mean he should be vilified for it.

The problem here is the complaining about what he says has consistently overshadowed what he has actually done on the court. I hope he improves, I hope he backs up that bravado, but he improved immensely between years 1 and 2, even with the suspension.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not like he's declaring himself as Wilt Chamberlain. And really, what hasn't he backed up? Sure, he says he wants to dominate the league. Ok, fine. All NBA players would like to do it, just because he voices it publicly doesn't mean he should be vilified for it.

The problem here is the complaining about what he says has consistently overshadowed what he has actually done on the court. I hope he improves, I hope he backs up that bravado, but he improved immensely between years 1 and 2, even with the suspension.
He improved defensively. He was worse in terms of aggression offensively. And he missed more than a third of the games. In my opinion that is not “immense” improvement. We will just disagree on that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He improved defensively. He was worse in terms of aggression offensively. And he missed more than a third of the games. In my opinion that is not “immense” improvement. We will just disagree on that.

borg.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Yeah improved immensely? Ehhh... He gets credit for putting up the most empty double doubles every night I've ever seen.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It looks like Paul might have had the opposite impact than that for which we hoped. I have never seen Ayton this unmotivated, and that's saying something...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns got 80% of renovations done.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entering the seating area.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad they're sticking with the purple and orange. I thought they were going with the black per the 2k footage.

I don't know if that's an occasional thing like their The Valley uniforms or not.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks more old school. They just need to bring back the intro:

This was my favorite of all the pictures and video. I think the logo on the ceiling makes it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson