Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe that's why he's playing so well...

Just the other day you said his play had significantly declined while in the bubble and he was going through the motions with one foot out of the door. NOW you want claim he's been playing so well? It's hard to be consistent when you are trying to be Debbie Downer everywhere.

Booker still looks like he doesn't want to be here. His play has declined significantly in the bubble. I AM starting to get intrigued by Cam and am impressed by how he has looked the last couple of games. I still think Cam is no more than a role player off the bench, but I am coming around to seeing him as a legitimate NBA player. He is actually reminding me more and more of James Jones as a player. Of course James Jones as a player was also not worth a lottery pick, despite being a nice NBA role player.

And there's more drivel from you about how he wants out in that thread.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just the other day you said his play had significantly declined while in the bubble and he was going through the motions with one foot out of the door. NOW you want claim he's been playing so well? It's hard to be consistent when you are trying to be Debbie Downer everywhere.

And there's more drivel from you about how he wants out in that thread.

For the scrimmages and the first game or two that counted, that was the case. Then he played like a man possessed in the Clippers game and has been stellar ever since.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the scrimmages and the first game or two that counted, that was the case. Then he played like a man possessed in the Clippers game and has been stellar ever since.

he averaged 28/4/4 in the first two games and kept them in the game against the Mavs scoring 30 before fouling out in Game 2.

so, in other words, he looked like everyone else in the scrimmages then bettered his season average scoring in the first two games.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
he averaged 28/4/4 in the first two games and kept them in the game against the Mavs scoring 30 before fouling out in Game 2.

so, in other words, he looked like everyone else in the scrimmages then bettered his season average scoring in the first two games.

Look at his efficiency numbers and turnovers, and you will see what I am referencing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at his efficiency numbers and turnovers, and you will see what I am referencing.

You mean how his TS% was 61.5% against Dallas, which is his season average and the highest of his career? He has a career TS% of 56.7%, which is a little bit higher than his TS% against Washington when it was 54.1%. He averaged 4 turnovers in those 2 games and averages 3.5 a game for his career. Can we mention how he didn't need to take over against Washington since the Suns led by double digits almost the entire game? Again, you're grasping at straws and making things up. His efficiency was fine. It was no worse than his career averages with most of his stats being in line with his season stats, where he's posting career highs in many categories.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns ranked 15th in the NBA.com power rankings before the OKC game. That isn't impressive but they did note some impressive numbers in their entry.

Also of note, the league rankings for the listed team stats at the top that are in parenthesis after the teams stats and are based on all 30 teams in the league and not just the 22 in the bubble. So they're 9th in pace, 14th in Offensive Rating, 18th in Defensive Rating, and 14th in Net Rating. Being 8 games below 500 for when those stats were pulled it's impressive the are so close to a positive net rating.

Record: 31-39 (5-0)
Pace: 101.9 (9) OffRtg: 110.6 (14) DefRtg: 110.9 (18) NetRtg: -0.4 (14)

The Suns are the only undefeated team in the restart, and have been about equally improved on both ends of the floor. The offensive improvement has come with Devin Booker averaging 29.4 points, but also with five other guys averaging double-figures. One of those five is Cameron Payne, who spent the pre-hiatus season in the NBA G League. The Suns have outscored their opponents by 34 points in 58 minutes (allowing just 106 points on 133 defensive possessions) with their second-unit backcourt of Payne and Jevon Carter on the floor.

The offensive improvement has also come with a drop in both assist percentage (the Suns have dipped below the idle Warriors for the league lead) and turnover rate. (Carter has 12 assists and zero turnovers in the five games.) After being assisted on 48% of his buckets prior to the hiatus, Booker has been assisted on only 31% of them in the restart. The game-winner over two of the best defenders in the league was, by definition, unassisted. But give Mikal Bridges an assist for coming up with the deflection that set it up. When you combine Bridges' length with active hands, you have an impact defender.

The Suns still need help to reach the play-in scenario, but no matter what happens this week, this trip to Orlando has been fruitful.

I bolded the stat about the Cam Payne & Javon Carter 2nd string backcourt because THAT is impressive on both ends of the floor. Perhaps we have our backup guards already in place for next season. I think both should be retained. Adding someone else to play when one of them is off is probably a good bet though. Okobo is a goner and Jerome should be as well but he's on a 1st round pick rookie deal and because of that his contract is guaranteed next year. I think we should be able to dump him somewhere though, even for a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being 8 games below 500 for when those stats were pulled it's impressive the are so close to a positive net rating.

After the OKC game the Suns net rating is 0.0 with an offensive rating of 110.7 and defensive rating of 110.7.

According to Kellan Olson the last time an NBA team finished with a positive net rating while being below 500 were the 2016-17 Nuggets who finished 40-42 and had a 0.4 net rating.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's ironic. Sarver finally stops trying to hog the spotlight . . . and he gets the spotlight.

A good lesson for everyone!

Just ignore how Sarver was one of the most outspoken owners that pushed for the Suns, and as many teams as possible, to play in the bubble games.

Sarver is not the bogeyman. He sucks as an owner but he was key in getting the Suns to this position.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn shame if suna miss chancr

I truly believe suns could have made it a fun matchup vs lakers maybe taking them to a gm 6

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
To the Suns I say, not just CONTRATULATIONS . . .

but . . . . . . . . .
T H A N K Y O U !

Hope for the future! We've waited (impatiently)

for ten years to be proud of our team. :cool:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One great things the Suns found in Orlando is a backup point guard in Cam Payne.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Jevon Carter.

This team now has an identity and it includes tough defense. I am giddy.

And they both bring the defense. This is always something to hang your hat on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a Suns hangover today. Yesterday The Portland won stung but I moved passed it because of how proud and entertained I was by the Suns.

but now... with games still going on, I’m a little blue knowing we don’t get to watch those guys anymore.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I think about this more, I’m also really starting to almost enjoy the hangover. Why? Because it means THEY FINALLY GAVE ME A REASON TO GIVE A DAMN! man... it has been sooooo long that I’ve lamented the end of a season instead of wishing for it to end so we can get to the lottery.

that is the greatest indicator that we are actually moving forward as a team for the first time in 9 years. I never got into that Bledsoe/Dragic team. They just felt like fools gold all the way. This year and the ending to it feels like a true starting point to build a contender.

That’s exciting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I think about this more, I’m also really starting to almost enjoy the hangover. Why? Because it means THEY FINALLY GAVE ME A REASON TO GIVE A DAMN! man... it has been sooooo long that I’ve lamented the end of a season instead of wishing for it to end so we can get to the lottery.

that is the greatest indicator that we are actually moving forward as a team for the first time in 9 years. I never got into that Bledsoe/Dragic team. They just felt like fools gold all the way. This year and the ending to it feels like a true starting point to build a contender.

That’s exciting.
They got playoff type game experience and still get to be in the draft lottery. That is something to be interested in as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave