Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I did not hear James Jones mentioned in this conversation. I'm wondering if Sarver is going to be more actively involved in decisions as he reportedly was involved in the trade for Bridges. I don't know where he draws the line.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I did not hear James Jones mentioned in this conversation. I'm wondering if Sarver is going to be more actively involved in decisions as he reportedly was involved in the trade for Bridges. I don't know where he draws the line.

Maybe. I haven't seen it reported from a reliable source though, have you? I know it's been rumored and passed around by the Gambos of the world but we also have (supposedly) the Clippers insisting that they were the ones that turned down the SGA deal - which was said to be what Sarver overruled in order to go after Bridges. So, I just don't know. We both know Sarver has interfered often enough to make it a possibility but it's just as likely that's what prompted the rumors.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Maybe. I haven't seen it reported from a reliable source though, have you? I know it's been rumored and passed around by the Gambos of the world but we also have (supposedly) the Clippers insisting that they were the ones that turned down the SGA deal - which was said to be what Sarver overruled in order to go after Bridges. So, I just don't know. We both know Sarver has interfered often enough to make it a possibility but it's just as likely that's what prompted the rumors.

IMO Sarver involved in the process isn’t the problem. Sarver involved and not taking responsibility is the problem. If you’re gonna call the shots be a man about it and don’t let you’re subordinates twist in the wind for your stupid decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess a quote from Bob Young of The Athletic is as reliable as it gets.

The trade for Bridges seems to be more grounded than the proposed trade to draft Shai. That's why I try to leave this part out of the equation now.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/1...raft-night-trade-for-shai-gilgeous-alexander/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

I thought the same thing. Recently, Robert Sarver talked about the "triangle of conversations" he has with
the GM and Head Coach. Back to the ol' Hornacek days. The investor pretending to be a basketball expert.

Now he is in the limelight, giving an interview about the Head Coach, bypassing his General Manager.

Literally taking credit for Monty's success after a decade of undermining GM's and Head Coaches,
resulting in failure and embarrassment.

It was just a matter of time. "I told him this, I told him that." Robert, count your billions and let
the people with NBA basketball backgrounds do their jobs. The man is narcissistic!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. Recently, Robert Sarver talked about the "triangle of conversations" he has with
the GM and Head Coach. Back to the ol' Hornacek days. The investor pretending to be a basketball expert.

Now he is in the limelight, giving an interview about the Head Coach, bypassing his General Manager.

Literally taking credit for Monty's success after a decade of undermining GM's and Head Coaches,

It was just a matter of time. "I told him this, I told him that." Robert, count your billions and let
the people with NBA basketball backgrounds do their jobs. The man is narcissistic!
Once you decide someone is narcissistic, it is really easy to interpret everything he says as evidence.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Once you decide someone is narcissistic, it is really easy to interpret everything he says as evidence.
That is a generalization. My post was specific.

I didn't refer to "everything he says". That is hardly a defense of these two recent episodes.
Based upon history, it is certainly reason for concern. Especially following the failures of the
last ten years.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell
@ginamizell

·
2m

One of my favorite questions to ask athletes is the weirdest rehab exercise they had to do while injured. To help Ricky Rubio breathe through his back to try to loosen it up, he blew up balloons three at a time. “If you have a party, let me know. I’ve got the balloons.” #Suns

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess a quote from Bob Young of The Athletic is as reliable as it gets.

The trade for Bridges seems to be more grounded than the proposed trade to draft Shai. That's why I try to leave this part out of the equation now.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/1...raft-night-trade-for-shai-gilgeous-alexander/

Sure but note that he didn't say it actually happened, he said "reportedly". Also, we already heard that same story the night of the draft from Gambo, I believe. And that's when the report came from a Clippers source denying it went down that way and that the Clippers insisted they were the ones that pulled the plug on the trade talk. Like I said, it's possible and I have no clue which story is true but because of the conflicting reports I'm not comfortable accepting either version as gospel. Someday, hopefully, Ryan will publish a tell all book.

But, your last point about viewing them separately interests me. I guess I could easily see Sarver pushing for Bridges but given how upset he was that Ryan hadn't acquired a point guard makes it less likely IMO. If I had been Sarver I would have insisted Ryan put together a package to get a real PG.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
11/26/19, 3:26 PM
#Suns officially listing Aron Baynes (hip flexor) as OUT tomorrow vs. Washington. Ricky Rubio, who practiced today and said he plans to play tomorrow as long as his back feels good throughout the day, is listed as probable.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure but note that he didn't say it actually happened, he said "reportedly". Also, we already heard that same story the night of the draft from Gambo, I believe. And that's when the report came from a Clippers source denying it went down that way and that the Clippers insisted they were the ones that pulled the plug on the trade talk. Like I said, it's possible and I have no clue which story is true but because of the conflicting reports I'm not comfortable accepting either version as gospel. Someday, hopefully, Ryan will publish a tell all book.

But, your last point about viewing them separately interests me. I guess I could easily see Sarver pushing for Bridges but given how upset he was that Ryan hadn't acquired a point guard makes it less likely IMO. If I had been Sarver I would have insisted Ryan put together a package to get a real PG.

We need that book for sure.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
11/26/19, 3:26 PM
#Suns officially listing Aron Baynes (hip flexor) as OUT tomorrow vs. Washington. Ricky Rubio, who practiced today and said he plans to play tomorrow as long as his back feels good throughout the day, is listed as probable.

Something tells me Baynes' injury is more serious than is being reported... like Amare or Penny Hardaway serious...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I simply thought it was interesting Sarver managed to get through the interview without mentioning James Jones. I didn't think Sarver was taking credit for Monty's success. He praised for him for his execution of what they talked about in the interview process.

Perhaps there is a natural transition in passing the baton off to James Jones. Sarver put a lot of trust in McDonough and that did not turn out well. Let's give Sarver some credit for hiring James Jones and Monty Williams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, which one of you shelled out 19.25 million to buy Sarver's house in Paradise Valley?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, which one of you shelled out 19.25 million to buy Sarver's house in Paradise Valley?

I did buy a couple of Suns license plate holders awhile back if that counts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson