Suns @ Trail Blazers Tuesday game thread 12-14-2021

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Cam Johnson has to go I’ve come to terms with that.

Say the Sabonis talk is real. Cam is up for his extension next year and is going to want 15-20 a year and I think that’s perfect reasonable

Sabonis only makes 19 a year and is under contract for 3 years.

Who would you rather give that money to?

We have a legit rebounding problem. Ayton and McGee rebound but nobody else on the team does. I think we’re bottom 5 in the NBA in rebounding. That’s never been a recipe for success in the playoffs.

I just don’t know if Ayton/Sabonis works as a pairing. Especially against GS who I think would run Sabonis off the court.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don’t know if Ayton/Sabonis works as a pairing. Especially against GS who I think would run Sabonis off the court.

His game goes out to the 3 point line. I mean Crowder and Ayton works right? Plus you could play him a lot with the second unit so our offense doesn’t fall off a cliff when Booker isn’t out there

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His game goes out to the 3 point line. I mean Crowder and Ayton works right? Plus you could play him a lot with the second unit so our offense doesn’t fall off a cliff when Booker isn’t out there

Im not sure a Sabonis/McGee pairing works all that well either. I think Crowder might provide better D than Sabonis even though Sabonis is the superior rebounder.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im not sure a Sabonis/McGee pairing works all that well either. I think Crowder might provide better D than Sabonis even though Sabonis is the superior rebounder.

And way superior on offense.

I really think your short changing Sabonis and his talent level as a guy who can get his own shot and a passer. He’s the PF on a team with Turner right now so he knows how to play with a center

He’s the current NBA eastern conference player of the week

He averaged 25/10 on 75% shooting

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a pretty lousy 3 point shooter and he is going to really suck on D against teams that play fast and long players at the 4 (which is like 75% of the league). I think the biggest problem would be that we are SO good at creating quality shots in the mid range but with 2 bigs around the paint, those shots are going to be in a lot of traffic.

Sabonis is a very good player but I don't see the fit here, especially not for the cost.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a pretty lousy 3 point shooter and he is going to really suck on D against teams that play fast and long players at the 4 (which is like 75% of the league). I think the biggest problem would be that we are SO good at creating quality shots in the mid range but with 2 bigs around the paint, those shots are going to be in a lot of traffic.

Sabonis is a very good player but I don't see the fit here, especially not for the cost.

We have two huge problems

We need a guy that can create his own shot

We don’t rebound at all

How do we fix this

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was interesting as well. Do you know if Hutchison can be traded on a two-way contract?

I didn't think two-way contracts can be traded but the ESPN Trade Machine allows me to do it.
Two way deals can't be traded. Im not sure why ESPN's trade machine allows it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two way deals can't be traded. Im not sure why ESPN's trade machine allows it.

It's kind of what I thought. I was cooking up some hot deals using Hutchison's contract.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
28/13 from Deandre and it could have been 30. This dude needs to get the flu more often. LOL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Was it Turner? I think it was someone more gettable.

Oh... we talked about taking a flyer on Bagley, who’s flashed now that he’s finally been on the court, rebounding and showing some range. Definitely not a Sheed-esque move but one with possible high upside.

The super frustrating thing is there are two positions that would put us totally over the top, if even just one of them came to fruition... another wing scorer and a big man with range. And there are two lottery picks on the team RIGHT NOW, one of which who just signed a HUGE deal in the off-season who fit those bills. Bridges and Brix. Both were touted to have those skills at those positions but NEITHER of them took the step forward offensively that this team could have really benefitted from. At least Bridges is great defensively but his offensive game stuck in concrete bogs the O down as teams have started taking his corner threes pit making him really indecisive with the ball. And Brix can’t hit the broadside of a barn.
We did discuss Bagley, but I don’t think he was it. Maybe Harrison Barnes?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My only hesitation with sabonis (and it’s a small one) is that I wish his 3 pt percentage was better so he could space for Ayton better. Shooting 30% this year and 32% for his career.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Crowder hits 3s at 34% clip compared to sabonis at 30%. Crowder hit at 39% clip last season. He’s a better shooter and better spacer. Also better defender.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m intrigued by it. He’s definitely another talented big we don’t have at present. But I don’t know if he’s the perfect piece to put us over the top. I wouldn’t say no if it just cost us cam Johnson and pieces and draft picks. Though I’d be sad to see cam go.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And way superior on offense.

I really think your short changing Sabonis and his talent level as a guy who can get his own shot and a passer. He’s the PF on a team with Turner right now so he knows how to play with a center

He’s the current NBA eastern conference player of the week

He averaged 25/10 on 75% shooting
He can get his shot when the offense bogs down. And he’s an excellent passer so that would play into the .05 seconds concept. And we could bludgeon teams with size that makes an outlier. It’s definitely intriguing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose