Suns @ Trail Blazers Friday game thread 10-21-2022

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday, the Suns meet the Trail Blazers in Portland in the first of two away games. They play at the Clippers on Sunday.

Portland is 1-0 after beating the Kings. Phoenix is 1-0 after beating the Mavericks.

When: Friday, Oct. 21, 2022

Television: Bally Sports Arizona

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 7 pm Arizona time

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's go suns hope get num 2 w on season

Wanting to see nice gms from book Mr cp3 and monster da showing!

Probably need suns for cards woes therapy tom lol.....

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to hear it was just cramps and not actual injury.

There was a close up view of the guys in the first half, they had that look of exhaustion, like they're out of shape. Not game shape, just out of shape for pro athletes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landry Shamet remains OUT. Everyone else is a go.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope suns make it a perf fri n :)

I'm feeling awesome after cards nuk return performance l n

Looking forward to a turn around in az sports winning percentage now with cards getting healthy and suns good roster!!

Let's go suns!!!! Beat Portland ton

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Paul didn't really struggle, Monte pulled him because Kidd doubled him and had someone in his pocket all game, thinking if they could stop CP3 they could stop us. Like they did in the playoffs.
Monte pulled the rug and went point Book, that and some luck secured the win.
CP3 will be fine.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul didn't really struggle, Monte pulled him because Kidd doubled him and had someone in his pocket all game, thinking if they could stop CP3 they could stop us. Like they did in the playoffs.
Monte pulled the rug and went point Book, that and some luck secured the win.
CP3 will be fine.
That has been the formula for the series with Milwaukee and then with Dallas. We have to have an answer for it. CP3 is useful, but not against double teams anymore. Even he knows that.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I must say that I respect Damian Lillard for not bolting the Blazers (whether via trade demand or other means).

It is a waste of time to remark on stars playing their entire careers with one team when their teams win championships, because they get what they want. Especially if they're superstars like Jordan or bryant--those players are feted and spoiled. Why would they leave?

But Lillard plays for a team that generally gets nowhere near a championship, and nevertheless doesn't hop teams, although I have the impression he almost has. Whether it's an alpha-male ego (wanting to be solely responsible for any success his team finds) or having a more important personal concern than basketball (such as having a family that wants to stay in Portland--I have no idea), it's refreshing to see at least one NBA star stay with an unsuccessful team. We have enough team-hoppers.

More generally, Damian Lillard in particular seems a star who doesn't draw undue attention to himself. I have no idea what his opinions are on anything, because he doesn't try to make sure we know.
Sometimes in any career you just have to put your head down and grind. Booker has done it and it kind of paid off.
I'm sure they're telling Lillard the same stuff they told Booker. You're our dude we will build around you bla bla bla.
When Booker was in the dumps and the team sucked all you heard was how Booker should leave. ie Draymond
We don't hear that narrative much anymore.

I love Dames game and would love to see he and Book on the same side of the court, but I have to respect his willingness to suck for no reason other than Loyalty.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That has been the formula for the series with Milwaukee and then with Dallas. We have to have an answer for it. CP3 is useful, but not against double teams anymore. Even he knows that.
We for sure need a fix for that.
I think CP3 will be fine in MOST games, but when they molest him we need to pull him and somehow make them pay for the molestation.
I'm thinking maybe Grayson Allen, they mess with Paul we throw Grayson in to start merking people.
Make it so its better for them if CP3 is playing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think CP3 will be fine in MOST games, but when they molest him we need to pull him and somehow make them pay for the molestation.
I'm thinking maybe Grayson Allen, they mess with Paul we throw Grayson in to start merking people.
Ha. You might as well go for Pat Bev.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns might want to use Paul at shooting guard in these situations. He can shoot just fine.

Also playing Booker with Payne, Shamet (when available) and Washington Jr. should work.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I know that Booker currently doesn't have the skill to play point guard for more than short periods, he's so ambitious (always wanting to "be legendary" :( ) that he probably wants to become good enough, in the future. He even more likely wants to keep being Paul's closer like in the last game.

I would be perfectly happy if he had the ability to start at point guard, because good point guards are even rarer than good shooting guards. Given the choice between replacing Paul's position and replacing Booker's position, I'd easily choose the former.
He's a great shooting guard, probably the best shooting guard in the league. I don't think he has the capacity to be anything better than an average to slightly below average point guard on offense and a real liability on defense. For a shooting guard, having the ability play point at Devin's level is excellent. But every team that has an average PG as their starter is in search of an upgrade. Moving him there full time would weaken two positions IMO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns might want to use Paul at shooting guard in these situations. He can shoot just fine.

Also playing Booker with Payne, Shamet (when available) and Washington Jr. should work.

He will be 70 and be able to shoot it’s his speed and quickness to get separation to get his shot off that will be the problem.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's go suns get the dub!!! Have my 420 stash waiting fingers crossed:)

Still on a cards w high to ton lol

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's a great shooting guard, probably the best shooting guard in the league. I don't think he has the capacity to be anything better than an average to slightly below average point guard on offense and a real liability on defense. For a shooting guard, having the ability play point at Devin's level is excellent. But every team that has an average PG as their starter is in search of an upgrade. Moving him there full time would weaken two positions IMO.
While the whole Point Book experiment has seen it’s fair share of ups and downs, Book has become a much more willing passer. Again, could he maybe not dribble the air out of the ball sometimes….sure.

But he’s made the right plays more often than not. I think his biggest opportunity is to keep working on that 3 ball. If he could get to 40% plus, that’d really unlock things for our offense. Basketball is played outside-in now not the other way around

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Say what you will, but Point Book is still better than any of the revolving door of point guards we had before Rubio.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will be 70 and be able to shoot it’s his speed and quickness to get separation to get his shot off that will be the problem.

It's mostly Paul's defense I worry about. He can still pass and is smart enough to know when and where to shoot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose