Suns @ Thunder Sunday game thread 3-19-2023

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re going to get book hurt right before the playoffs. I can feel it.
I don't like that Devin is logging so many minutes but I'm not sure restricitng them will make much of a difference. Part of the reason I didn't want to gamble big on a championship this year is because CP3 isn't the only injury liability we have. Devin has had hamstring/abductor/groin problems repeatedly (10 times) over his career and I think at this point we can expect them to continue and perhaps worsen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like that Devin is logging so many minutes but I'm not sure restricitng them will make much of a difference. Part of the reason I didn't want to gamble big on a championship this year is because CP3 isn't the only injury liability we have. Devin has had hamstring/abductor/groin problems repeatedly (10 times) over his career and I think at this point we can expect them to continue and perhaps worsen.
I Agree but I don't think we have a choice with everyone all bunched up in the standings. I have Devin's hamstring in the back of my mind...CONSTANTLY.

We are .5 games ahead of the Clips and only 2 games up on the Mavs. The good news is even the the Clips catch us or pass us and we just swap seeds? It doesn't change the playoff match up. However, if both the Clips and Mavs catch us? We would likely match up with Memphis Round 1.

Golden State is 2.5 games back and the Lakers 3 holding the next 2 play in spots.

We just need to stay afloat.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That loss was really a brutal one. The schedule is so tough and that was one of the few actually winnable games to give us a small cushion at 4.

djm75

Rookie
Reaction score
Does it even matter which team is going to kick us out in the first round?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Agree but I don't think we have a choice with everyone all bunched up in the standings. I have Devin's hamstring in the back of my mind...CONSTANTLY.

We are .5 games ahead of the Clips and only 2 games up on the Mavs. The good news is even the the Clips catch us or pass us and we just swap seeds? It doesn't change the playoff match up. However, if both the Clips and Mavs catch us? We would likely match up with Memphis Round 1.

Golden State is 2.5 games back and the Lakers 3 holding the next 2 play in spots.

We just need to stay afloat.

Dallas plays at the Grizzlies tonight, so that should be interesting.

Right now, my focus is the Suns getting everyone healthy and not being a play-in team. That may be a bit too much to ask with their schedule.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Right now, my focus is the Suns getting everyone healthy and not being a play-in team. That may be a bit too much to ask with their schedule.

With the grizz not reachable by us, I’m in favor of a grizz win.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it even matter which team is going to kick us out in the first round?
It might matter if Durant is back and playing well. But yeah, without him likely we're just arguing over the exact time of death.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might matter if Durant is back and playing well. But yeah, without him likely we're just arguing over the exact time of death.

Yeah, but the Suns will have some big time names on their roster like the Nets used to have.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

We really need the Grizzlies to beat the Mavs. It gives us more of a cushion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really need the Grizzlies to beat the Mavs. It gives us more of a cushion.

In a way but the Suns really don't have a cushion.

They are going to have to win as many games as possible and hope their playoff competition loses their fair share as well and hope it's good enough.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ain't worried, they have to play each other as well. If any of those team go on a streak and push us to the play in games we deserved it.

If you mean the Suns front office, I agree.

The Suns are counting on the likes of Warren, Bazley, Wainright, Ross and an inconsistent Cam Payne coming off the bench.

In all honesty, I can't say the Suns have a talented bench. A couple of the starters should probably be coming off the bench.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a way but the Suns really don't have a cushion.

They are going to have to win as many games as possible and hope their playoff competition loses their fair share as well and hope it's good enough.
If everybody plays to their current % the Suns just need to hold court. If everyone plays to the % then that Mavs/Grizz game could be important if the Suns just play under their %. If they totally collapse that is a different story.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you mean the Suns front office, I agree.

The Suns are counting on the likes of Warren, Bazley, Wainright, Ross and an inconsistent Cam Payne coming off the bench.

In all honesty, I can't say the Suns have a talented bench. A couple of the starters should probably be coming off the bench.
I honestly don't think it's enough, but I'm true blue and down to take whatever we have into the playoffs THIS YEAR.
Not ready to fire Monte or tear up the team, we need 2 role players and bench players we can count on.
Next year will be telling on what exactly Ishbia and JJ come up with. I know people don't want to hear this but we handcuffed ourselves this year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think it's enough, but I'm true blue and down to take whatever we have into the playoffs THIS YEAR.
Not ready to fire Monte or tear up the team, we need 2 role players and bench players we can count on.
Next year will be telling on what exactly Ishbia and JJ come up with. I know people don't want to hear this but we handcuffed ourselves this year.

I think the Suns front office could have done a much better job of providing peripheral talent for the team.

It's hard to see how they will do much better next season unless they can trade Paul and/or Ayton for additional talent.

I hope the Suns can keep Okogie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns front office could have done a much better job of providing peripheral talent for the team.

It's hard to see how they will do much better next season unless they can trade Paul and/or Ayton for additional talent.

I hope the Suns can keep Okogie.
Paul might be it. Ayton could be but not unless things collapse next year and likely not until the trading deadline to maximize his value.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul might be it. Ayton could be but not unless things collapse next year and likely not until the trading deadline to maximize his value.

I haven't read up on Paul's contract but at a certain point next season, they will have waive or trade him so they are only obligated for about half of his contract, about $15 million.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I haven't read up on Paul's contract but at a certain point next season, they will have waive or trade him so they are only obligated for about half of his contract, about $15 million.
B/c of his non-guaranteed contract CP3 will be traded for likely a bloated contract somewhere for a team needing salary relief. Probably someone like Gordon Hayward or John Collins.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It kicks in just before free agency.

I expect us to either trade him around draft time or we will likely keep him all of next season.

Like Gator said, an underwater contract is the most likely return.

Gordon Hayward, Duncan Robinson, maaaaaaybe John Collins but I don't think Atlanta dump him just for cap relief.

But they might need to keep him. I don't know where they are going to find a starting quality point guard if they let Paul go.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
B/c of his non-guaranteed contract CP3 will be traded for likely a bloated contract somewhere for a team needing salary relief. Probably someone like Gordon Hayward or John Collins.

If Hayward takes a complimentary role he could help us. But man the injuries are enough with KD and Book on the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It kicks in just before free agency.

I expect us to either trade him around draft time or we will likely keep him all of next season.

Like Gator said, an underwater contract is the most likely return.

Gordon Hayward, Duncan Robinson, maaaaaaybe John Collins but I don't think Atlanta dump him just for cap relief.

But they might need to keep him. I don't know where they are going to find a starting quality point guard if they let Paul go.

I'm not sure why the Hawks would trade Collins for Paul as they already have two point guards. I would think Collins has more value and the Suns can't trade a first round pick.

I must say Hayward is not an exciting prospect for me. The same with Duncan Robinson.

Maybe there are more options?

It could be the Suns are forced into or decide to trade Ayton to replenish the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the Hawks would trade Collins for Paul as they already have two point guards. I would think Collins has more value and the Suns can't trade a first round pick.

I must say Hayward is not an exciting prospect for me.

Maybe there are more options?

It could be the Suns are forced into or decide to trade Ayton to replenish the team.

Anyone trading for Paul isn't trading for Paul the player, they're trading to dump a bunch of cap space using his option.

I don't see an Ayton trade helping us, even as inconsistent as he is. I don't like the idea of making the team even older. Someone would have to overpay to make it worth it to the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone trading for Paul isn't trading for Paul the player, they're trading to dump a bunch of cap space using his option.

I don't see an Ayton trade helping us, even as inconsistent as he is. I don't like the idea of making the team even older. Someone would have to overpay to make it worth it to the Suns.

I would hope the Suns would get assets back if they did that type of trade with Paul.

I'm with you. I don't like the idea of the Suns trading Ayton and getting older unless they get something excellent in return.

The Suns may have to start using second round picks for players and invest in scouting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose