Suns @ Spurs Friday game thread 1-24-20

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Wow, I am glad I decided to watch this one. That was an ugly win with almost no bench contribution, but I'll take it. They really need to add some firepower to the bench though.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Wow, I am glad I decided to watch this one. That was an ugly win with almost no bench contribution, but I'll take it. They really need to add some firepower to the bench though.
Getting healthy would be a very good start. We probably aren’t all that many pieces away with a healthy roster, but we gotta get healthy first.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When is Cam, Brynes and Frank coming back? Not sure why Diallo didn't get any burn last night you can't play Booker and AD 38 min a game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When is Cam, Brynes and Frank coming back? Not sure why Diallo didn't get any burn last night you can't play Booker and AD 38 min a game.

Kaminsky will be out for a while longer. He had a stress fracture in his knee and it was said they'd re-evaluate in 4 weeks back on January 6th. I would be surprised if he returned before March.

Cam should return within the next couple of games. He ended up being doubtful on the injury report for the Spurs game but it almost sounded like he might play based on what Gina Mizell and Duane Rankin were saying pre-game. He's listed as day to day still with a quad injury.

Baynes is listed as day to day as well but he's also in his mid 30's and has a hip injury, which is what caused him to miss a bunch of time early in the season. I think he'll be out another week, at least, but the trade deadline is February 6th. If he returns to the lineup for the Suns then I doubt he's traded. I believe the longer he's out also means it's more likely he'll be dealt.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As shorthanded as we have been, does anyone have an idea why Diallo hasn't been given a chance to develop?

It sure looks like he has a lot to offer to this current Suns disappointing bench rotation.

I hope it is not the D'Antoni mantra of, "It is not my job to develop young players."

Or developing some young players, but not others, but not based on skillset.

And specifically, who is calling the shots? Once a roster is established, it should be up
to the Head Coach to decide how to use them.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow amazing win by the suns

Great gms by saric booker abd good to see ayton get a double double!

Need to win vs Memphis!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As shorthanded as we have been, does anyone have an idea why Diallo hasn't been given a chance to develop?

It sure looks like he has a lot to offer to this current Suns disappointing bench rotation.

I hope it is not the D'Antoni mantra of, "It is not my job to develop young players."

And specifically, who is calling the shots? Once a roster is established, it should be up
??? Do you have some source that says that someone is telling Monty he cannot play Diallo much? This post is a bit odd.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do think they might be tryng to help Book get to the all-star game. Just my hunch. T

Hmm. Booker is playing out of his mind though. It is hard to take him off the floor.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

As I mentioned in another post, if you look at the analytics, Diallo is one of the worst defenders in the NBA and with Jerome is the worst defender on our team. I'd wager that's why he isn't getting any burn.

While not official yet, several reports have Kaminsky likely out for the season.

And Cam is...Cam...

Makes it all that more remarkable, and not in a good way, that James Jones has done nothing to replenish the roster.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I do think they might be tryng to help Book get to the all-star game. Just my hunch. T

Hmm. Booker is playing out of his mind though. It is hard to take him off the floor.
As we have seen in the past, nothing helps that cause more than winning games. We would be more likely to win if those 3 guys were available to play.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Getting healthy would be a very good start. We probably aren’t all that many pieces away with a healthy roster, but we gotta get healthy first.

Oh I agree. Those are three actual NBA players. Those three along with Bridges are really the only depth this team has. Either way, they need an average, competent backup point guard. With Frank's injury (and Baynes' injury to a lesser extend), they really need a backup big too since those guys might be out for quite a while.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh I agree. Those are three actual NBA players. Those three along with Bridges are really the only depth this team has. Either way, they need an average, competent backup point guard. With Frank's injury (and Baynes' injury to a lesser extend), they really need a backup big too since those guys might be out for quite a while.
I agree. I think our need a back up pg is greater than pf. But both are needs. This team just drops off horribly when Book or Rubio are out of the line up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

They've needed that back-up big for at least a month, and Jones has done absolutely nothing about it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who exactly would you like to shoot for?
What are you giving in return?

Well, considering a mid second round pick nets Willie Cauley-Stein, I would say we have all sorts of options available.

Heck, we could sign a Kenneth Faried, Channing Frye, Zaza Pachulia, Tyler Zeller, Amile Jefferson, Quincy Acy, Ike Anigbogu, Anthony Bennett, Deyonta Davis, and a whole host of other free agent bigs and not give up not a darn thing. Instead, James Jones leaves Monty with a total of two players to play the combined 4 and 5 positions, three if you count Diallo, whose defense is so bad we can't even get playing time in that scenario.

That is setting the team up to fail and running our remaining healthy players into the ground in the process.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
??? Do you have some source that says that someone is telling Monty he cannot play Diallo much? This post is a bit odd.

I asked, "As shorthanded as we have been, does anyone have an idea why Diallo hasn't been given a chance to develop?"
Especially after his breakout game as a starter. Not every young player is cut out to do his best coming off the bench.

To which 1Sun responded that it is because of his lack of defense. Questioned and answered. Why would you call that odd?

I have to chuckle at the "balance" on this board. At one extreme, 1Sun questions bad moves on a failing team. Whenever it
comes up. As do I.

At the other extreme, you condone every move by management. Why are you so consistently supporting the status quo on
a team that has been failing for nine seasons?

It's like the guy with one foot in a bucket of dry ice . . . and the other foot in a bucket of boiling water. On average, he must
be pretty comfortable.

Have Suns fans really been comfortable for the past decade? My source, JC, is my eyes as a long-time fan. And the questions
I raise for conversation on this board. We can't solve the Suns ongoing problems, but we can discuss them on ASFN.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Well, considering a mid second round pick nets Willie Cauley-Stein, I would say we have all sorts of options available.

Heck, we could sign a Kenneth Faried, Channing Frye, Zaza Pachulia, Tyler Zeller, Amile Jefferson, Quincy Acy, Ike Anigbogu, Anthony Bennett, Deyonta Davis, and a whole host of other free agent bigs and not give up not a darn thing. Instead, James Jones leaves Monty with a total of two players to play the combined 4 and 5 positions, three if you count Diallo, whose defense is so bad we can't even get playing time in that scenario.

That is setting the team up to fail and running our remaining healthy players into the ground in the process.

Kenneth Faried was just dealt. Who do you want that's available now?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Of those players Faried is the only player that I would be even remotely interested in. But if I am not mistaken, we don’t have an available roster spot so it is kind of moot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of those players Faried is the only player that I would be even remotely interested in. But if I am not mistaken, we don’t have an available roster spot so it is kind of moot.

They could very easily create the roster spot by waiving Jared Harper or Tyler Johnson.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
They could very easily create the roster spot by waiving Jared Harper or Tyler Johnson.
Harper is on a 2 way. There is exactly zero chance Faried would sign a 2 way contract. Also a zero chance (and it would be moronic) Tyler gets cut before the trade deadline.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Harper is on a 2 way. There is exactly zero chance Faried would sign a 2 way contract. Also a zero chance (and it would be moronic) Tyler gets cut before the trade deadline.

I thought Lecque and Owens were our 2 way players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson