Suns Off-season Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
With all the new guards the Suns have, I think they should buy out the contract of Landry Shamet, but they probably don't want to. I was appalled when I looked at the Suns salaries and saw how much Shamet makes--about $10M at this time. He is undoubtedly the Suns' most overpaid player.

Everyone agrees that Damion Lee isn't a particularly good player, but I compared his stats to Shamet's a while ago and found them fairly similar. That says to me that Lee is just a much cheaper Shamet. If Shamet weren't here and Lee replaced him, there would probably be little change in production.
Shamet didn't have a great year last year, but this is so far off base I can't even begin to address it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the new guards the Suns have, I think they should buy out the contract of Landry Shamet, but they probably don't want to. I was appalled when I looked at the Suns salaries and saw how much Shamet makes--about $10M at this time. He is undoubtedly the Suns' most overpaid player.

Although everyone agrees that Damion Lee isn't a particularly good player, I compared Lee's stats to Shamet's a while ago, and found them fairly similar. That says to me that Lee is just a much cheaper Shamet. If Shamet weren't here and Lee replaced him, there would probably be little change in production.

If the economics of buyouts make it too difficult, I wouldn't know; but yeah...I know teams rarely buy someone out. What I rarely or never hear is anyone trying to claim Shamet earned his money. (We can all say that about Payne last season, of course; but conspicously, there's no one who might replace Payne.)
I would have zero issue with moving Shamet. Buyouts impact the salary cap. However, you have to have someone proven to come in and replace Shamet or it's pointless. Shamet wasn't dependenable and didn't do what we brought him here to do but the Suns were trying to fill a need. That would be a need they still need to fill. Simply buying him out doesn't seem like a smart move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have zero issue with moving Shamet. Buyouts impact the salary cap. However, you have to have someone proven to come in and replace Shamet or it's pointless. Shamet wasn't dependenable and didn't do what we brought him here to do but the Suns were trying to fill a need. That would be a need they still need to fill. Simply buying him out doesn't seem like a smart move.

A buyout of Shamet isn't realistic. The Suns owe him about $10 million per season over the next two seasons, a total of around $20 million guaranteed.

His trade value is probably neutral or negative. The best chance to move him is to trade him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buyout of Shamet isn't realistic. The Suns owe him about $10 million per season over the next two seasons, a total of around $20 million guaranteed.

His trade value is probably neutral or negative. The best chance to move him is to trade him.
Agree. Buying him out makes no sense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best chance of moving a player with neutral or negative trade value is to...trade him? Logically, that would seem to mean you think there's absolutely no chance of moving him. Okay, fair enough.
Far from it. Other teams have players with negative value, and he can always be packaged in a deal for a higher salary player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns will host the Mavericks in the season opener. This should tell us something in a hurry.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns will host the Mavericks in the season opener. This should tell us something in a hurry.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Oof. A loss to them would be a brutal start to the year, they better come out fired up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof. A loss to them would be a brutal start to the year, they better come out fired up.

This is really the type of target game the Suns need coming after that game 7 loss to the Mavericks.

It's a good way to find out where the team is at early.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is really the type of target game the Suns need coming after that game 7 loss to the Mavericks.

I really don't want to put too much emphasis on a regular season game, just look at the season opener last year. The Nuggets beat us after we embarrassed them in the 2nd round last year... it didn't end up mattering in the slightest.

But man... if we lose that game, especially if we lose it ugly, that will sting and the locker room will have a task to put it behind them. Meanwhile if we beat them it will be virtually meaningless.

Without a doubt, the last team I want to see in the opener.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious as to who is going to be the leader of this team, the guy who gets guys fired up before big games. Crowder can be that guy, McGee tried to be that guy last year. I don't see anyone else really bringing that.

Booker might have it in him but we've really only seen him get really fired up in the flow of a game, and typically when he is in a groove. One of Kobe's weaknesses was he did not communicate well with teammates, I hope Booker has a different approach in him.

If we trade Crowder we will be in desperate need of someone to become our bull-dog.

Or maybe this team does better as a bunch of silent assassins. Maybe McGee's antic were too much and they were better off getting focused instead of getting hyped, you can only scream at people to bark like a dog so many times before you're just going through the motions.

Maybe I shouldn't post at 1am after a night out...

Who knows.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowder will be traded. I had my doubts before but since he's removed all mention of the Suns from his social media he's been really cryptic and posted this pic yesterday with the Suns logo blurred out.

Not sure why he's upset, he's been traded more than a half dozen times in his career already. Something about this seems personal though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to put too much emphasis on a regular season game, just look at the season opener last year. The Nuggets beat us after we embarrassed them in the 2nd round last year... it didn't end up mattering in the slightest.

But man... if we lose that game, especially if we lose it ugly, that will sting and the locker room will have a task to put it behind them. Meanwhile if we beat them it will be virtually meaningless.

Without a doubt, the last team I want to see in the opener.

It's not that the game has any playoff repercussions, but I'd like to see where the Suns are coming out of the gate.

If there are any lingering affects, I want them corrected earlier rather than later.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crowder will be traded. I had my doubts before but since he's removed all mention of the Suns from his social media he's been really cryptic and posted this pic yesterday with the Suns logo blurred out.

Not sure why he's upset, he's been traded more than a half dozen times in his career already. Something about this seems personal though.

You must be registered for see images attach

What platforms are you following him on? I only have FB, im not sure if signing up for social media accounts will help me keep in the loop on anything nba.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think there is a strong likelihood Jae Crowder will be traded and he may end up with the Heat.

He reportedly was being shopped around draft time.

It may take a multi-team trade to make it work as it revolves around cap space.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What platforms are you following him on? I only have FB, im not sure if signing up for social media accounts will help me keep in the loop on anything nba.

If you put the name Jae Crowder on Facebook search there is a lot of Miami Heat stuff that comes up.

He also comes up on Instagram.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Too early in the season. This is more of marketing hype than anything else. Although, if the team manages to get their hands on KD? Bet this would be on National TV and part of the NBA hype machine for sure. I am not going to overeact again this season to the regular season (espeically early). It's all about how we finish the regular season this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too early in the season. This is more of marketing hype than anything else. Although, if the team manages to get their hands on KD? Bet this would be on National TV and part of the NBA hype machine for sure. I am not going to overeact again this season to the regular season (espeically early). It's all about how we finish the regular season this year.

It's always about how you finish, but don't you want to know?

I tired of this festering. Win or lose, I want to take the next step.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always about how you finish, but don't you want to know?

I tired of this festering. Win or lose, I want to take the next step.
Sure, I want to see it but I don't think this team has made any significant additions IMO to feel like it would change a playoff outcome. I think the Mavs have gotten better while IMO the Suns at BEST are a push from last season but I think we are a little worse. My expectations would be different if we had pulled off at least one high impact trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, I want to see it but I don't think this team has made any significant additions IMO to feel like it would change a playoff outcome. I think the Mavs have gotten better while IMO the Suns at BEST are a push from last season but I think we are a little worse. My expectations would be different if we had pulled off at least one high impact trade.

I'm not sure the Mavericks have gotten better. They lost Jalen Brunson. I'm aware of their additions.

Personally, I think the Suns problems started on the defensive end of the court and it began with strategy.

So I want to see how the Suns adapt defensively. We probably will not see the final edition of these two teams until around the trade deadline.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the Mavericks have gotten better. They lost Jalen Brunson. I'm aware of their additions.

Personally, I think the Suns problems started on the defensive end of the court and it began with strategy.

So I want to see how the Suns adapt defensively. We probably will not see the final edition of these two teams until around the trade deadline.
I think they are because despite the loss of Brunson they shored up their biggest weakness. Just my opinion. I don't think we have shored up ours and lost one of our best defense guys on the team. Even with Saric returning, he doesn't help us defensively one bit.

I expect the Suns to compete in the West already. That expectation hasn't changed because the team is still really talented so not sure what measure I would get out of an early season game. It would be nice to see one of these roster filler guys step up and surprise us. Other than that? I have no expectations for the people we have signed. Again, I would feel different if we had made a high impact trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are because despite the loss of Brunson they shored up their biggest weakness. Just my opinion. I don't think we have shored up ours and lost one of our best defense guys on the team. Even with Saric returning, he doesn't help us defensively one bit.

I expect the Suns to compete in the West already. That expectation hasn't changed because the team is still really talented so not sure what measure I would get out of an early season game. It would be nice to see one of these roster filler guys step up and surprise us. Other than that? I have no expectations for the people we have signed. Again, I would feel different if we had made a high impact trade.

I think the loss of Brunson will hurt the Mavericks at least initially. Maybe they work it out later on. He was a legit shot creator and shooter which helped create a diversion from Doncic.

My thoughts are the Suns problems last season were mostly internal although they will need to improve because teams like the Clippers are better and the Warriors will still be there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the loss of Brunson will hurt the Mavericks at least initially. Maybe they work it out later on. He was a legit shot creator and shooter which helped create a diversion from Doncic.

My thoughts are the Suns problems last season were mostly internal although they will need to improve because teams like the Clippers are better and the Warriors will still be there.
Brunson loss will be mitigated, in part, by a return to health by hardaway.