Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 5-27-2021 - Game 3

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yeah. We can try to talk ourselves into the Suns somehow pulling out a win, but it would be a miracle if we did and we all know it.

Ayton shoots north of 88% on dunks this year, so, given the Lakers’ scheme he will continue to shoot at least that well. Or they will start diving on him and open us up for three pointers.

We are +7 right? That’s not close to a miracle. Hell, Dallas were +7 in game 2 against the Clippers lmao.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case, but our weak link in this series (aside from the freak CP injury) may prove to be coaching. As a long time Suns fan, I have seen it far too many times that Suns coaches, from MacLeod all the way through Westphal and D'Antoni, hampered us in the post-season with a refusal to make adjustments to unexpected circumstances or just the changes of style that come with playoff basketball.

I would hate to see Monty repeat that Suns tradition, whatever else happens.

Monty has been extremely reactive all series and has made TONS of adjustments. From size matching against LA, to deploying the zone, to ramping up Payne’s minutes, to shortening the rotation. I could go on.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If this is the plan they really dropped the ball.

Not really. Unless he is significantly limited. If Paul is not effective and they play him 20-25 minutes then that is dumb. But he doesn’t need to be 100% to be a better option than Moore.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty slander re: PG minutes seems grossly misplaced. He has a series of bad options before him that are of a parity.

Playing Payne 34 minutes in game 2 was ballsy and correct. Let’s wait until the COY starts making serious errors before complaining about him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torrey Craig was a good signing generally. As a backup center he’s a terrible signing.

It's all about improving the team. Sort of like adding the BPA in the draft. I'd rather play Craig at center than Damian Jones.

Do I think the Suns should have added another center to the roster? No doubt about it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's all about improving the team. Sort of like adding the BPA in the draft. I'd rather play Craig at center than Damian Jones.

Do I think the Suns should have added another center to the roster? No doubt about it.
Then they haven’t been right all season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then they haven’t been right all season.

This goes back to where we started.

To me clear no one bats a 1000% so if you are resting your argument on Damian Jones being a mistake I'm not disagreeing. I simply think the Suns replaced him with a better player no matter the position title.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They bet on Damien jones as Ayton’s backup and lost. No one bats 1.000

I think they bet on Saric being the player he had been in the bubble and lost. Jones was just your typical end of the bench guy who probably wouldn't have even seen the court if Saric and Jalen Smith had measured up.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Playing the devils advocate, Monty and James Jones have been right all season.

If you listened to Monty after the last game, he has no intention of taking any of Dario's time.

That may even be the right move. Torry Craig can not box out Drummund, and Dario sort of can.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not really. Unless he is significantly limited. If Paul is not effective and they play him 20-25 minutes then that is dumb. But he doesn’t need to be 100% to be a better option than Moore.
This is true, but if resting him for this game will help him to be even more healthy for the next game than I think you sit him and see what the other guys can do in his place.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think they bet on Saric being the player he had been in the bubble and lost. Jones was just your typical end of the bench guy who probably wouldn't have even seen the court if Saric and Jalen Smith had measured up.
Either way, betting on saric, Jones, and stix as your backup bigs was a swing and a miss.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who was replaced by Torrey Craig.

No - Torrey Craig cannot replace him. He is not a big man. He cannot guard someone like Davis 1 on 1 - we tried that in the last regular season game and he got worked.

It is more accurate to say Craig replaced Nader.

I'm sorry acting like not replacing Jones with a suitable big man defender is ok is ridiculous. It is a huge blunder - period

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you listened to Monty after the last game, he has no intention of taking any of Dario's time.

That may even be the right move. Torry Craig can not box out Drummund, and Dario sort of can.

Yeah. There is a reason Monty Williams is the coach.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any update on paul status?

Ugh edging closer to stresser gm time....

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No - Torrey Craig cannot replace him. He is not a big man. He cannot guard someone like Davis 1 on 1 - we tried that in the last regular season game and he got worked.

It is more accurate to say Craig replaced Nader.

I'm sorry acting like not replacing Jones with a suitable big man defender is ok is ridiculous. It is a huge blunder - period

The arguments are getting intertwined.

The Suns had an open roster spot they used to add Torrey Craig.

The Suns would have to waive a player to replace Nader.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dario at his absolute best is still terrible defensivly against athletic big men. I think you are correct they wrongly assumed his value on the offensive end could make up for his inability to play D effectively. But by the trade deadline it was obvious they were wrong.

There is no excuse for not getting another big man defender.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The arguments are getting intertwined.

The Suns had an open roster spot they used to add Torrey Craig.

The Suns would have to waive a player to replace Nader.

Yeah they would have to waive somebody to get another big. But we have to many guards, one of them should have been replaced with a big.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul will play!

He played in the last game too.

Is he going to be capable of throwing cross court passes and making his midrange pullups is the question. If not, he should not be playing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He played in the last game too.

Is he going to be capable of throwing cross court passes and making his midrange pullups is the question. If not, he should not be playing.

No disagreement on this. The Lakers have to play Chris Paul honest to make it work.

I have no medical knowledge but as I understand it, a right shoulder contusion is a bruise. Maybe it can get better and not worse with use?

This would make sense if the Suns medical staff continue to let him play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul has reportedly gotten better over the past 48 hours and is a full go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty of course will keep a close eye on Paul.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard