Suns @ Lakers Sunday Playoff thread 5-30- 2021 - Game 4

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's time to get the thread up so we can start talking about game 4.

The Lakers lead the Suns in the playoff series 2-1 so a win is almost a must on Sunday.

Afterwards the Suns are assured of returning home to play the Lakers on Tuesday June 1st at Phoenix Suns Arena.

The game will be televised on ABC.

Start time is listed at 12:30 p.m. Arizona time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is listed as day-to-day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Ayton doing almost all he can do in the series asking him to do more is too much to ask.

It could be the Suns might be forced to go small.

Here is a snippet from a Kellan Olson article at Arizona Sports:

Williams talked to Booker on Friday about “just letting it go” and being more aggressive to get his first shot as opposed to trying to break down the Lakers’ defense with quick passes and movement.

That should be easier with more guards out there, especially given that the wing trio of Crowder, Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson is shooting a combined 21-of-67 (31.3%) in the series.

It is not ideal to attempt going small against the team with Andre Drummond on it, one of the NBA’s best rebounders in the last decade, and a bigger team in general. In a way, though, Williams would be challenging his squad to try and win this way, where it’s on them from an effort and energy perspective. Maybe that’s what the team needs. But no one knows that better than Williams, so what he chooses to do will be telling of what the team is capable of in the middle of a heated playoff series.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2668502/lakers-suns-game-4-preview-grinding-to-speed-up-the-game/

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Lakers are better inside and better at breaking the opponent down one-on-one. The Suns' only chance of superiority is in three-point shooting. If they don't dominate from behind the arc, they can't win. So fire away, and hope to knock them down.

It's worth remembering that, among the Suns' rotation players in the regular season, Booker was the worst three-point shooter besides Ayton. Other players are going to have to step up in a big way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers are better inside and better at breaking the opponent down one-on-one. The Suns' only chance of superiority is in three-point shooting. If they don't dominate from behind the arc, they can't win. So fire away, and hope to knock them down.

It's worth remembering that, among the Suns' rotation players in the regular season, Booker was the worst three-point shooter besides Ayton. Other players are going to have to step up in a big way.

yup. The series rests on Bridges, Crowder and the two Cams getting hot from outside.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
yup. The series rests on Bridges, Crowder and the two Cams getting hot from outside.
I wouldn't even say "hot" necessarily. They just can't go a combined 7-20, or more specifically CamJ and Crowder a combine 2-11. If the team shoots around 40% from 3 they would have a legit shot at winning. If they had a hot day shooting the 3 (something like 50%) they would almost certainly win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking the obvious, game 3 would have probably been the best time to start Payne and go with some combination of Moore, Carter or Galloway as backups while resting Paul.

Now I'm not sure if it matters.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even say "hot" necessarily. They just can't go a combined 7-20, or more specifically CamJ and Crowder a combine 2-11. If the team shoots around 40% from 3 they would have a legit shot at winning. If they had a hot day shooting the 3 (something like 50%) they would almost certainly win.

We hit 11 3s and shot 38% from 3 on Thursday and got handled with ease. if we’re getting nothing from CP3, they need to be hot from 3 to win.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking the obvious, game 3 would have probably been the best time to start Payne and go with some combination of Moore, Carter or Galloway as backups while resting Paul.

Now I'm not sure if it matters.

this was obvious after Game 2. Really let down Monty couldn’t see this. Who knows... maybe they’re already thinking about CP3 opting out and showing him they’ll do anything to make him happy and stay. Even sacrifice a playoff series to indulge his ego.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns are going to come out with the guns blazing so to speak including the bench.

By Jake Anderson | Arizona Sports:

“I don’t want them coming out there being timid,” Williams said. “I feel like the bench has won us games this year and I’m looking for that right now. … We need more guys to step up and play like Torey. He’s out there playing — not reckless — but he’s going after it. He’s not leaving anything on the bench. He’s leaving it all on the floor.

“And we need our guys to come in and play that way. We haven’t shot the ball well. That takes away from the production. I think there are other areas where you can have a huge impact on the game but I know our guys want to shoot the ball better. But if you’re coming off the bench, I just want them to hoop, play free and play the way they played all season.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/266...oker-needs-to-take-1st-shot-presented-to-him/

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More acting from AD and the Lakers. Looking to set an "injured" narrative and maybe get even more sympathy calls from the officials

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It comes a game too late. The Suns need to slow down Schroder who has scored 20 and 24 points in his last two games.

Maybe they can put Payne on him and Carter off the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems to change the meaning slightly about giving Chris Paul a day off.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Carter is the perfect guy to put on Schroeder. I don't get why Monty is whiffing on that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose