Suns @ Lakers Sunday Playoff thread 5-30- 2021 - Game 4

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking the obvious, game 3 would have probably been the best time to start Payne and go with some combination of Moore, Carter or Galloway as backups while resting Paul.

Now I'm not sure if it matters.

Exactly what I've been thinking. Would have gave Paul 3 or 4 days of rest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interview with Monty about the status of Chris Paul tomorrow.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This does suck, but I'm actually amazed at how much this board has forgotten about the playoffs. A guy is sore? Come on, you KNOW that soreness won't hold most players out of a game. Now, it's on Monty to limit his minutes if they are going to play the guy, and he has failed miserably at that.

I'm just amazed at how much everyone is in favor of sitting the main reason we got to the playoffs in the first place. I get limiting his minutes, but having him on the bench in street clothes won't necessarily be the great thing you all are thinking it would be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This does suck, but I'm actually amazed at how much this board has forgotten about the playoffs. A guy is sore? Come on, you KNOW that soreness won't hold most players out of a game. Now, it's on Monty to limit his minutes if they are going to play the guy, and he has failed miserably at that.

I'm just amazed at how much everyone is in favor of sitting the main reason we got to the playoffs in the first place. I get limiting his minutes, but having him on the bench in street clothes won't necessarily be the great thing you all are thinking it would be.

he can’t shoot, Chap. He won’t even look at the rim when he gets the ball outside. He doesn’t have the handle or control to drive past people and throw cross court. He hamstrings us on offense, allows the best defensive team in the league to be even better playing 5 on 4. And he’s not even doing anything on defense to help with Schroeder scoring 20 ppg.

his minutes aren’t limiting him. They’re limiting the team when he’s in there. And whatever crap they’re talking about soreness is just that. We have eyes. We can see even when he DOES shoot, he’s using his entire body to almost swoop and shot-put the ball from within ten feet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
he can’t shoot, Chap. He won’t even look at the rim when he gets the ball outside. He doesn’t have the handle or control to drive past people and throw cross court. He hamstrings us on offense, allows the best defensive team in the league to be even better playing 5 on 4. And he’s not even doing anything on defense to help with Schroeder scoring 20 ppg.

his minutes aren’t limiting him. They’re limiting the team when he’s in there. And whatever crap they’re talking about soreness is just that. We have eyes. We can see even when he DOES shoot, he’s using his entire body to almost swoop and shot-put the ball from within ten feet.
He is having difficulty, yes. But say for a moment that Crowder and Bridges were hitting shots. We would be at least up 2-1 in this series, even with Paul's inability to shoot. Just having him on the court makes a difference. Now, if we're down by 10 or 15 and he's on the court AND Crowder/Bridges aren't making shots, then yeah, it's on Monty to get him out of there. But Paul provides so much more and if he had more support than just Deandre Ayton, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Even if we sit Paul, if Crowder and Bridges still can't hit the broad side of the barn, we definitely aren't going to win. I'd rather have Crowder and Bridges actually pose a threat with this Chris Paul, then to have no Chris Paul and those guys don't pick up the slack.

In other words, I'm saying a gimpy Chris Paul is still better on the floor with as bad as our wings are playing right now. You sit Paul and those guys still don't produce we have NO chance.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How ironic Chris Paul could be our downfall this series...not his fault of course....just a total mind F

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is having difficulty, yes. But say for a moment that Crowder and Bridges were hitting shots. We would be at least up 2-1 in this series, even with Paul's inability to shoot. Just having him on the court makes a difference. Now, if we're down by 10 or 15 and he's on the court AND Crowder/Bridges aren't making shots, then yeah, it's on Monty to get him out of there. But Paul provides so much more and if he had more support than just Deandre Ayton, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Even if we sit Paul, if Crowder and Bridges still can't hit the broad side of the barn, we definitely aren't going to win. I'd rather have Crowder and Bridges actually pose a threat with this Chris Paul, then to have no Chris Paul and those guys don't pick up the slack.

In other words, I'm saying a gimpy Chris Paul is still better on the floor with as bad as our wings are playing right now. You sit Paul and those guys still don't produce we have NO chance.

at least the defense has to pay attention to Crowder and Bridges. They’re playing awful but part of that is a function of not getting open looks and that’s happening because defense doesn’t have to collapse or extend on CP3. Again, that’s giving the already #1 defense in the league an even bigger advantage because they don’t EVER have to leave our shooters. Even if Booker is double teamed, the defense isn’t down a man leaving an open shooter because no one has to guard Paul, so that allows the Lakers to rotate to cover all our shooters.

And again, Paul isn’t doing anything to slowdown Schroeder on the other end. At least Payne can be a pest there and he’s not someone the Lakers can say off at the three point line. Payne has also shown the ability to get the hole at times which can open up our shooters. That would also allow our energy guys like Carter to maybe give us a spark and let Moore try his hand at playmaking. Our guard rotation was strong and deep all year. Running out a one armed CP3 which has already shown to be a recipe for disaster. Series are about adjustments. The Lakers made theirs recognizing how to hurt us when Paul is on the floor. For us to just put our head down and not make the adjustment back is an exercise in futility, IMO.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yeah. It’s awful.
I just cant believe you play 72 games no issue and game 1 you decimate your shoulder. Unreal. It's not just the lakers I feel the west as deep as it is we would be in the same boat no matter the opponent. I just know after Paul we better have an all star PG. It's what we need . History says so

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Devil’s Advocate: What if Kuzma, Mathews and KCP were hitting shots?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most people wrote us off in this series before it started and now we're down 1-2 and those same people who talked about what an impossible series this was for us to win are saying we'd be leading if Paul was benched, or we'd be in a better position somehow.

I can only imagine that if Paul were sat to rest then Monty would be bashed for not letting him try to play and people mentioning how much calmer this team is with CP3 on the floor, even while he's limited.

It sucks that Paul is hurt but we're not doctors, haven't evaluated him, seen him up close, spoken to him or the rest of the team. I almost wish Monty would sit Paul so we could disprove this ridiculous notion that we'd be better off without him right now.

If we lose this series it won't be because Monty mismanaged Paul's minutes, it'll be because our forwards never showed up. They're the ones that are costing us this series right now. Has any of them scored 10 or more in a game so far? Mikal, Crowder, Saric, and Cam Johnson have been no shows. They're shooting less than 30% for the series yet we've somehow managed to stay in it until the final 3-4 minutes of each game, somehow.

But sure, its on Monty for playing Paul, Paul for not volunteering to sit, and Booker for not taking the next step to superstardom.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton is carrying the team and Crowder, Bridges and Paul are going to sink it. Who thought that would be the case going into the playoffs.

I still can't believe the crazy Paul injury.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And again, Paul isn’t doing anything to slowdown Schroeder on the other end. At least Payne can be a pest there and he’s not someone the Lakers can say off at the three point line. Payne has also shown the ability to get the hole at times which can open up our shooters. That would also allow our energy guys like Carter to maybe give us a spark and let Moore try his hand at playmaking. Our guard rotation was strong and deep all year. Running out a one armed CP3 which has already shown to be a recipe for disaster. Series are about adjustments. The Lakers made theirs recognizing how to hurt us when Paul is on the floor. For us to just put our head down and not make the adjustment back is an exercise in futility, IMO.

The Schroeder thing is on Monty. There were multiple times he should have put Carter in the game on him in both Games 2 and 3 and he didn't.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Most people wrote us off in this series before it started and now we're down 1-2 and those same people who talked about what an impossible series this was for us to win are saying we'd be leading if Paul was benched, or we'd be in a better position somehow.

I can only imagine that if Paul were sat to rest then Monty would be bashed for not letting him try to play and people mentioning how much calmer this team is with CP3 on the floor, even while he's limited.

It sucks that Paul is hurt but we're not doctors, haven't evaluated him, seen him up close, spoken to him or the rest of the team. I almost wish Monty would sit Paul so we could disprove this ridiculous notion that we'd be better off without him right now.

If we lose this series it won't be because Monty mismanaged Paul's minutes, it'll be because our forwards never showed up. They're the ones that are costing us this series right now. Has any of them scored 10 or more in a game so far? Mikal, Crowder, Saric, and Cam Johnson have been no shows. They're shooting less than 30% for the series yet we've somehow managed to stay in it until the final 3-4 minutes of each game, somehow.

But sure, its on Monty for playing Paul, Paul for not volunteering to sit, and Booker for not taking the next step to superstardom.
Come on, Monty has mismanaged the whole team since the opening minutes of Game 2.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp little tired thinking bout gm lot last night

Really need bridges crowder to earn there money today and play well

I'm hoping suns rest paul if worst comes to worst get paul rdy for phoenix if there down 3 1 it's pretty much done any way

Hoping for best but keeping realistic score In mind

Gl suns and what ever occurs fun season

This should be a western conference finals matchup 1st round is just pure bs!!! For how good suns were

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone wants a healthy Chris Paul on the court. The problem is he hasn't been able to shoot properly over the last three games.

He is shooting under 40% for the series and hasn't taken a 3-point shot.

For the regular season Paul shot 49.9% from the field and 39.5% from three. Do the math.

This in no way excuses the poor shooting from the Suns forwards but the opposing defense can't be allowed to play five on four on defense.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone wants a healthy Chris Paul on the court. The problem is he hasn't been able to shoot properly over the last three games.

He is shooting under 40% for the series and hasn't taken a 3-point shot.

For the regular season Paul shot 49.9% from the field and 39.5% from three. Do the math.

This in no way excuses the poor shooting from the Suns forwards but the opposing defense can't be allowed to play five on four on defense.
Man imagin how good havin vassel rookie pg now def help over stix.... whi i still like potential wise

Just no quality backup pg killin suns now ugh

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man imagin how good havin vassel rookie pg now def help over stix.... whi i still like potential wise

Just no quality backup pg killin suns now ugh

I'm not sure this is the time to revisit the draft. Suns have some guards behind Cam Payne who can run the team. Devin Vassell is a shooting guard. I'm anxious to see Stix in summer league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

There’s a lot of blame to go around except for Ayton. But sure, it takes a doctor to see Paul can’t shoot the three can’t make cross court passes and is crushing the team offensively behind a few minutes to start the last game.

PS - you’re attempt to put words into peoples mouths in the future is absolutely ridiculous. Might be the worst argument I see on this board regularly. And never proves accurate.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As somebody who thought the suns were going to lose coming into this series - I am amazed how much worse the Lakers look than I was expecting.

So yes if we had a healthy Chris Paul I do think we would be winning now. It's not that I am reevaluating the Suns, I am reevaluating my opinion of the Lakers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's not completely accurate. Many of us said that we could not beat a healthy, full speed Lakers team. I still believe that but this is nowhere near a healthy and full speed Lakers team. I felt pretty damned confident when I saw the Lakers play GS, they looked very beatable and I know I wasn't the only one here that liked our chances against that version of the Lakers.

Without Chris Paul I believe we'd be up 3 games to 0. He's killing our offense and our defense. When you can't raise your right arm without extreme pain, you can't play either end of the court and Paul is proving that when he's in the game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson