Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Man the “saric was the difference in the series” narrative needs to find a final resting place. It’s so bad.
I floated this a while back. Saric wasn't THE difference in the series, but having him would have given us a better chance at making noise. We had him and we won, we lost him and we lost. In the long run, we probably still would have lost, but I have a hard time believing it still would have been a gentlemen's sweep had he been available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reoccurring topics comes from both sides.

It's hard to talk about the team without mentioning the players, coach, owner and the GM. How do we talk Suns otherwise?

Also, every Suns poster could do well to learn as much as possible about the restrictions of the new CBA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The reoccurring topics comes from both sides.

It's hard to talk about the team without mentioning the players, coach, owner and the GM. How do we talk Suns otherwise?

Also, every Suns poster could do well to learn as much as possible about the restrictions of the new CBA.
Did the trade now create “sides” on the suns board like the darksiders and koolaiders on the cards board? We never had that before. Does this make me a suns koolaider?!?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a freaking joke of a post. We’ve pretty much kept things to substantive basketball and you have to take it outta that realm. Good job poop head.

Really dude? Just in another thread you decide to butt in to discussion to throw jabs not at the topic but how they chose to discuss it. You and your brother constantly do things like that and drive people away from this board regularly. Rather than let something go, something that doesn't involve you, you choose to jump in and throw out insults and belittle people's opinions. It's daily with you. Look over your own posts, how many are attacking the poster rather than the post? Probably half that aren't direct replies to someone. Hell, you did it again here. You weren't named, no one hinted at you as you weren't even in this discussion but here you come.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man the “saric was the difference in the series” narrative needs to find a final resting place. It’s so bad.

Oh boy, is the birth of the “Reggie Jackson would’ve been the difference in the series” line of posts for this year to match the saric lamentations from two years ago?

And If so, if Reggie was all we needed to get past the nuggets, it kind of flies in the face of your complaints about the trade bc that means the current squad faces a 7th seeded lakers and then 8th seeded Heat and likely wins the championship.

Perfect examples of you belittling others opinions simply because you disagree. Rather than say why you disagree, you just dismiss it and try and make the poster feel dumb for having an OPINION.

Thanks for making it easy to prove my point. Just above your post taking exception to me stating differing opinion will bring personal attacks. Yet you're completely oblivious to it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think posters are still working through the Kevin Durant trade and the Suns second round exit. It's still really fresh news in the eyes of many posters.

My hope there is only one camp, Suns fans, but it takes time to work through the implications of the trade for Kevin Durant. The early playoff exit didn't help. Actually, this is still really fresh news as the Suns evolve under new ownership.

Personally, I think the more we embrace the differences, the quicker we work through it.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned the need for each and every fan to learn more about the new CBA because it impacts the frustration and difficulty involved in putting a new team together.

A wealthy new owner cannot buy the Suns out of their predicament.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think posters are still working through the Kevin Durant trade and the Suns second round exit. It's still really fresh news in the eyes of many posters.

My hope there is only one camp, Suns fans, but it takes time to work through the implications of the trade for Kevin Durant. The early playoff exit didn't help. Actually, this is still really fresh news as the Suns evolve under new ownership.

Personally, I think the more we embrace the differences, the quicker we work through it.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned the need for each and every fan to learn more about the new CBA because it impacts the frustration and difficulty involved in putting a new roster together. A wealthy new owner cannot buy the Suns out of their predicament.

I think there's one camp as well but it seems you can't critique Durant's play without someone mentioning Mikal and/or asking if you're preparing some "told you so". The trade is done, time to move forward but like some constantly bring up Josh Childress, Hedo, and Warrick every off-season as a reason why we'll do nothing (at least under Sarver), there's differing views on whether we overpaid for Durant. The Suns cart is hitched to his wagon and we need him to play well for the Suns to be well, no two ways about it. The price we paid doesn't matter. Only issue there is a posters personal pride as far as admitting we overpaid or not, ultimately that's all it breaks down to and without a title, we overpaid. Keyword there is WE. Nothing anyone can do about it. So I don't get being so hung up on good deal, bad deal, its how we each view it and that has no bearing on the play on the court.

We should all want the Suns to win but I swear some of the posters here have a real problem admitting to being wrong and some love telling others they're wrong. That's not to say there aren't a lot of good people here, there are and there's a reason I've been posting here 20 years, the community is great, but as of late it seems like some are constantly bracing for pushback because of a small few who are like rabid dogs when it comes to differing opinions.

At the end of the day we're all rooting for the Suns so there shouldn't be a need to be so adversarial with each other.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's one camp as well but it seems you can't critique Durant's play without someone mentioning Mikal and/or asking if you're preparing some "told you so". We should all the Suns to win but I swear some of the posters here have a real problem admitting to being wrong and some love telling others they're wrong. That's not to say there aren't a lot of good people here, there are and there's a reason I've been posting here 20 years, the community is great, but as of late it seems like some are constantly bracing for pushback because of a small few who are like rabid dogs when it comes to differing opinions.

At the end of the day we're all rooting for the Suns so there shouldn't be a need to be so adversarial with each other.

I think Suns fans saw the rumors the Suns were trading for Kevin Durant and got excited.

When I first heard the rumors months ago, I was excited as well. However, this was before we learned what the Suns would have to give up to get him.

The details of the trade made it a bad trade as it depleted nearly all the quality depth on the Suns roster and losing four unprotected first draft picks inhibited the Suns ability to improve the team going forward. It made the trade unattractive and one that should have never been made under the circumstances.

Some of us realized it and some didn't because I don't think they understood the negative impact on the team.

I thought the details of new CBA would further help fans understand why the trade was not a good one, but apparently not.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Suns fans saw the rumors the Suns were trading for Kevin Durant and got excited.

When I first heard the rumors months ago, I was excited as well. However, this was before we learned what the Suns would have to give up to get him.

The details of the trade made it a bad trade as it depleted nearly all the quality depth on the Suns roster and losing four unprotected first draft picks inhibited the Suns ability to improve the team going forward. It made the trade unattractive and one that should have never been made under the circumstances.

Some of us realized it and some didn't because I don't think they realized the negative impact on the team.

I thought the details of new CBA would further help fans understand why the trade was not a good one, but apparently not.

I agree 100%. I think the playoffs should have shown also that KD wasn't going to elevate this team because the team that was ended up dismantled to add KD. He could have been the difference maker if we added him to what we had be we didn't. We lost 2 starters and a 6 Man as well as the only decent NBA quality depth big we had when we traded for KD. You can't subtract almost 40% of a winning rotation and replace them with 1 guy who has never won on his own and expect a championship.

The new CBA makes it extremely difficult to acquire talent to surround KD and Booker while prior to the trade there were a number of routes to go to improve upon what we had. Now there's 1 path and it requires a lot of luck. Suns fans shouldn't ever believe in luck. Our luckiest moment was winning the lottery and passing on a generational talent to add a big from down the road who only plays hard 20% of the time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The problem is that the ones that hate the trade automatically think the ones that are ok with it hate Mikal Bridges. It's illogical, and worse, it is brought up by 3 posters in particular ad nauseum.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the ones that hate the trade automatically think the ones that are ok with it hate Mikal Bridges. It's illogical, and worse, it is brought up by 3 posters in particular ad nauseum.

Show me where anyone was accused of hating Mikal.

I can show you a few posters who liked the trade bring up Mikal for no reason and bashing him for his performance in Brooklyn when KD wasn't very efficient and looked out of sorts in the playoffs.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no problem with Cam Payne starting, but will someone please tell another poster that Reggie Jackson is better than no Chris Paul in the playoffs against the Nuggets.

I have zero problem with Cam Payne starting. He’s a totally different player when he starts he’s proven that the past three years. It’s a 180.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Book and KD beat Denver twice in these playoffs - a feat I don't see any other team achieving in these playoffs - and keep in mind they played less than 20 games together before these playoffs - so I'd say all is not as lost as some might portray but we still have a long way to go

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book and KD beat Denver twice in these playoffs - a feat I don't see any other team achieving in these playoffs - and keep in mind they played less than 20 games together before these playoffs - so I'd say all is not as lost as some might portray but we still have a long way to go

I get the Suns beat Denver twice but that means nothing in the long run. This Denver team isn't going anywhere and the Suns supposedly made the KD trade to get real wins instead of moral victories and silver linings. 2 wins in the second round doesn't mean much of anything. Yes, there's room to build but we don't have a proactive GM that's shown he's capable of filling needs on this team. Say what you will about a new owner, JJ wasn't so hamstrung that he wasn't allowed to address our weaknesses at all. He just did a poor job doing so when he even attempted.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I get the Suns beat Denver twice but that means nothing in the long run. This Denver team isn't going anywhere and the Suns supposedly made the KD trade to get real wins instead of moral victories and silver linings. 2 wins in the second round doesn't mean much of anything. Yes, there's room to build but we don't have a proactive GM that's shown he's capable of filling needs on this team. Say what you will about a new owner, JJ wasn't so hamstrung that he wasn't allowed to address our weaknesses at all. He just did a poor job doing so when he even attempted.
2 wins is something to build on tho - I think it was a good first outting for Book and KD on the grand stage and also exposed our weaknesses via father time and the Ayton Alerts

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
AD was a generational defender early in his career back to his one season as Kentucky. Defensive mastermind or not I don’t see Vogel reaching Ayton and if Book/KD are sick of him there’s nothing a coach can do.
If KD and Book are sick of him, he will be traded. No doubt. If he stays, I'm assuming there's buy in from KD and Book. I see Ayton could be traded as late as the trade deadline. That gives Vogel a chance to see what he can do, or at the very least possibly raise Ayton's trade value.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
2 wins is something to build on tho - I think it was a good first outting for Book and KD on the grand stage and also exposed our weaknesses via father time and the Ayton Alerts
Considering they had what--12 or 13 total games played together? And with a coach whose specialty was culture first, it's no wonder we couldn't put together a string of good performances.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Considering they had what--12 or 13 total games played together? And with a coach whose specialty was culture first, it's no wonder we couldn't put together a string of good performances.
Plus CP3 got hurt AGAIN. And when your fourth guy, Ayton, disappears, and gets hurt, you really are hamstrung when you think just two guys can carry a whole team. I love Jock Landale, but when he outplays Ayton, that's not good. No one really took over CP3's role. We did play faster with Payne, but he really didn't bridge that gap of what we lost with CP3 hurt. Despite what we think of CP3, he was our top performing PG.

We weren't just missing a fifth starter, we were missing 3-5.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose