Suns @ Grizzlies Monday game thread 1-18-21

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch the whole thing. Still I gotta ask, were we better off with Rubio? Really frustrating having to wonder that when Rubio is cheaper and we gave up assets for CP3. Ugh.

The most valuable asset we gave up for Paul was Rubio so I don't sweat that aspect of the trade. Paul hasn't looked great yet, hopefully that's still coming, but he hasn't looked horrible either. And while Booker has had a poor shooting season thus far, if he'd just been able to match that poor shooting today we would have won this game easily. It's a team game but this loss is on Booker, plain and simple.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Frank Kaminsky with 8 and 5 in 13 minutes.

Not bad for a backup Center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most valuable asset we gave up for Paul was Rubio so I don't sweat that aspect of the trade. Paul hasn't looked great yet, hopefully that's still coming, but he hasn't looked horrible either. And while Booker has had a poor shooting season thus far, if he'd just been able to match that poor shooting today we would have won this game easily. It's a team game but this loss is on Booker, plain and simple.

Technically you may be right but the Suns traded Rubio, Oubre and a first round pick for Chris Paul. And Oubre was traded for a first round pick.

So it's like the Suns traded Rubio and two first round picks for Paul.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another choke job by Booker. I swear him and CP3 just need to shoot that midrange. Make some shots early. Let the defense adjust then make offensive adjustments.

idk about the substitution patterns again. Timely timeouts would have helped. Eh

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were some trades along the way but the Grizzlies came out of the 2018 draft with Jaren Jackson Jr. and Jevon Carter.

In 2019 they got Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke.

In 2020 they got Desmond Bane and Xavier Tillman Sr.

Also they acquired Dillon Brooks in the second round in the 2017 draft. I didn't go any further.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m not saying it was right but Ayton started too high. He couldn’t catch up to him.

Now if you want to talk about Gobert likely would have been closer to the basket then I would agree. Just bad position.

We could have had this game if Booker had been Booker.
Agreed. I’m fearful that books prior rep as a great stats guy on a bad team may have some roots in reality. It’s early still but man he’s been mediocre this season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Another choke job by Booker. I swear him and CP3 just need to shoot that midrange. Make some shots early. Let the defense adjust then make offensive adjustments.

idk about the substitution patterns again. Timely timeouts would have helped. Eh
Yeah I was disappointed in the timeouts too. Consistently late. It’s like a suns coach tradition.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I’m fearful that books prior rep as a great stats guy on a bad team may have some roots in reality. It’s early still but man he’s been mediocre this season.

I'm not. He's missing great looks so unless he just can't handle the pressure of expectations (doubtful IMO), he's just off. Maybe it's his role in the offense, maybe it's due to a greater focus on defense, and maybe he's out partying too much with his girlfriend? I don't know why it's happening but I don't expect it to continue and not just because if it does, I wasted 200 bucks to watch game pass.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There were some trades along the way but the Grizzlies came out of the 2018 draft with Jaren Jackson Jr. and Jevon Carter.

In 2019 they got Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke.

In 2020 they got Desmond Bane and Xavier Tillman Sr.

Also they acquired Dillon Brooks in the second round in the 2017 draft. I didn't go any further.
We haven’t hit on any second round picks. And we had some high ones. That really accelerates your growth. Used to hit late first and second round picks all the times in 80s and 90s

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agreed but this feels eerily similar to last year. And our defensive rating has already plummeted.
It does, but there’s a big difference between it feels the same as the first 12 games vs this feels like the entire 82 game season will go like this. I imagine the similarity isn’t lost on Monty.

We will have to see what kind of adjustments are going to be made. Hopefully some will.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We haven’t hit on any second round picks. And we had some high ones. That really accelerates your growth. Used to hit late first and second round picks all the times in 80s and 90s

Sarver would save a lot of money if he invested more in scouting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

umm, last I checked you had to actually be able to score to be a stats guy.

he is just in a bad shooting slump. It will end at some point, but it is weird it has gone on this long.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some post game notes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons the Suns are losing is lack of points in the paint and it's not all about Ayton.

Suns need more of an inside game.

When the outside shots are not falling they need to get points inside.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Book has always been the clear number one before this year. It's always been his team. Even when he made a mistake, it was easy for him to shake off because we had no better alternatives. I'm wondering if the addition of Paul has him questioning himself a bit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not. He's missing great looks so unless he just can't handle the pressure of expectations (doubtful IMO), he's just off. Maybe it's his role in the offense, maybe it's due to a greater focus on defense, and maybe he's out partying too much with his girlfriend? I don't know why it's happening but I don't expect it to continue and not just because if it does, I wasted 200 bucks to watch game pass.

welcome to the club, buddy!

also, did you pay for the entire league pass? There’s an option just to pay for the Suns games for 120.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blame myself. This team took a complete and utter nose-dive the day I bought the Suns League Pass and used it for the first time to see us open up a 24 point lead in Detroit and proclaim us a JUGGERNAUT.

They’ve pretty much been an abject disaster since then, either on the court or off (Covid protocols).

Mea culpa board. I totally jinxed the entire season.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Only if he’s hitting. If he’s not then not so much. He’s usually on or off. Few games in between.
Of course but he had the same output as Crowder did tonight in 26 min. give him 4 of Crowders mins 4 of jevons mins and lets see what he can do.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to hear that excuse. We also lost to this Grizzlies team without Valejunas (?) and JJJ. That’s pretty weak.

Monty said the team was not in rhythm after missing three games due to postponement. I did not hear him excuse the loss on missing players. As I understand it, they were unable to practice as a team.

Although there is no excuse for losing, the Grizzlies have won five games in a row.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose