Suns @ Grizzlies 10-27-18

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the surprise in this thread. Who is coach supposed to be subbing in? Do we have good players sitting on the bench that I don't know about? Bridges got good minutes. Okobo got good minutes. Who are you pining for?
Ayton was awesome. He is really growing quickly. Of course this has nothing to do with the coach and the staff. Ariza and Andersen came here for a vacation and easy money. But due to the roster they have to play. Chandler is worse than useless. Second quarter stats were mentioned earlier...
I am excited for the future. And that includes coach. Unfortunately JJ looks more like a bust each game. Very low BB IQ. Too many high draft pick misses for us to expect much more from this team 5 games into this season.

You're right but as poorly as our veterans are playing I'd just as see us lose with the young guys. I'm also excited about the future and I was expecting another losing season but I didn't expect us to look this bad. Still, it's early.

And just to confirm, that was sarcasm about coach not helping Ayton grow, right?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Definitely. I think that coach is doing well. He cannot twist with the wind. At this point he should stay the course. Bridges will continue to get more time. Canaan less. I am sure he is disappointed with the vets .as are we .He is doing great with Ayton.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking back we should of taken Fox instead of JJ . I'm convinced he will not be a star just a role player. Bender....Len...JJ all these high picks with not even one a difference maker.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Still a joke of a team losing by double digits every game. I for one am tired of watching it. Thank God for ASU and the Yotes

I'm right with you on all 3 accounts. Love how the coyotes are playing so well.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even in the games they lost they were running the show just couldn't it in the net. They are looking damn good. Playoffs don't seem out of reach at all

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
* my guess is Warren's head wasn't in the game because he felt he earned a starting spot and still didn't get it with Booker out.

* There were a lot of bad bounce passes to Ayton. JJ is a mess, but he's the only one who knows how to drive-and-lob to Ayton.

* Canaan would be doing an acceptable job -- as a backup pg.

* 4 blowouts in a row indicates we've got another soft coach who doesn't know how to light a fire under player's asses when they're not scrappy on D. after the 2nd blowout i'd have told them i want to start seeing guys fouling out rather than watching layups.

* the last 4 games shows why it was the right idea to hire some veterans. unfortunately, the vets were apparently bad choices who quickly learned to play down to our youngin's level, instead of the reverse. coaching?

* still digging watching because of Ayton. don't mind doing without Booker if it helps the rest learn how to be more productive

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
* 4 blowouts in a row indicates we've got another soft coach who doesn't know how to light a fire under player's asses when they're not scrappy on D. after the 2nd blowout i'd have told them i want to start seeing guys fouling out rather than watching layups.

I think he should have switched things up, kept Ayton, Warren, Bridges, and Canaan in the lineup but swap out Ariza, Anderson, Jackson, and Chandler with Daniels, Bender, King, Okobo, and Holmes. If you're going to suck, you're going to suck on the bench while the end of the bench players take your playing time.

I'm not nearly as down on Jackson as some are. We're 5 games into his 2nd season. It's far too soon to call him a bust, especially with how it took him some time to find his groove last season. It's not encouraging that he seems to be lost again but it's not for lack of effort. I wouldn't be opposed to sending him to the G-League to let him get his confidence back. He should dominate there and make it clear to him that he won't return until he is dominating in the G-League. That may end up like Summer League but I think he'll get it together quicker. The G-League season starts November 2nd, so there's a little time before that can happen.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wonder how San Antonio started when Pop changed everything in San Antonio? Hoping the end result eventually looks like that.
They wen't 20-62 the first year and won 56 games the next. Tim Duncan was a rookie in the 2nd year.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They wen't 20-62 the first year and won 56 games the next. Tim Duncan was a rookie in the 2nd year.
And didn't Robinson come back from pretty much missing the season before? They basically added two of the best big men the league has seen in one season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And didn't Robinson come back from pretty much missing the season before? They basically added two of the best big men the league has seen in one season.
I suppose it still kind of proved the point though. Even Pop suffered a terrible season in his first year as head coach. It's definitely too early to try to make judgments on Kokoskov.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
amazing how good you can look when shooters hit their shots. Do you think the coach changed things up because that was too exciting for the fans?

Defense is just as big a problem as missing shots or at least close to it. Anderson should not be playing let alone starting.

Why not try starting Bridges or TJ over Anderson? no matter what happens Anderson needs less playing time and Bridges needs more.

Even Bender might help defensively. At this stage its worth a try. Anderson plays zero defense and is giving us 5ppg. If his replacement scores 0ppg we lose by 20 instead of 25.....

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Coyotes are playing well partially because their owner took a chance on a young unexperienced GM. It worked. Coyotes were rated having one of the better off seasons regarding personnel moves. You must have a GM with an eye for talent and a goal when assembling the team. Coyotes have been trying to build a faster team and the GM is slowly bringing in players that meet that criteria.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well we have one big man, that fills the Tim Duncan part of the equation.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Suns basketball is disappointing right now. On the plus side, as opposed to things I've read on Facebook, at least no one here is suggesting that "wii should use a Hyperbolic Chamber to speed up healing".
LMAO! No, this forum is a hyperbolic chamber!!!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
1st Qtr observation:
- Cannon is throwing this D off, he is not getting through screens and allowing way to much dribble penetration. This cause a man to have to switch off and gaurd the ball handler. Most of the time this is Ayton and his man just rolls or is wide open and the basket.

- The spread/movement offense is good, but it put players in poor transition defense. Since the floor is so spaced a fast break can happen on almost any rebound.

- JJ is very fast and can jump out of the gym, you can't really teach that and I can see why the Suns are sticking with him...for now, but he will need to learn to play or he could be shipped off in a trade.

- Anderson need to be moved to the bench, Ariza or Warren should be starting at PF. His shooting wos and poor man defense are not helping this team get on track.

- Last 3 minutes, put the Suns behind and game Memphis some life

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
1st Qtr observation:
- Cannon is throwing this D off, he is not getting through screens and allowing way to much dribble penetration. This cause a man to have to switch off and gaurd the ball handler. Most of the time this is Ayton and his man just rolls or is wide open and the basket.

- The spread/movement offense is good, but it put players in poor transition defense. Since the floor is so spaced a fast break can happen on almost any rebound.

- JJ is very fast and can jump out of the gym, you can't really teach that and I can see why the Suns are sticking with him...for now, but he will need to learn to play or he could be shipped off in a trade.

- Anderson need to be moved to the bench, Ariza or Warren should be starting at PF. His shooting wos and poor man defense are not helping this team get on track.
JJ simply should not be playing the role that he is playing. Sure I get that he is a SF that has some guard like skills, but he is far better suited to playing off the ball and making a living slashing to the rim. Needs to keep working on the shot though as he isn't going to be a great off ball player until he can at least be decent from outside.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JJ simply should not be playing the role that he is playing. Sure I get that he is a SF that has some guard like skills, but he is far better suited to playing off the ball and making a living slashing to the rim. Needs to keep working on the shot though as he isn't going to be a great off ball player until he can at least be decent from outside.

In someway I agree and disagree. The role in this game and currently is for JJ to be Booker when he is out and coming off the bench/when Booker is resting. I agree this is not best for him, due to his overly fast play which leads to turnovers and poor shots. But I also don't see anyone other than maybe Bridges being able to fill that role. But I am not ready to give up on JJ and hand it over to Bridges yet. JJ has really been the only one willing and able to get Ayton the ball on pick and roles, this is due to his speed.

I do agree a better PG would be the ideal resolution, this would allow JJ to go back to the slasher/cutter role. Also getting more consistent 3pt shooter in for Anderson with the starting line is key.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In someway I agree and disagree. The role in this game and currently is for JJ to be Booker when he is out and coming off the bench/when Booker is resting. I agree this is not best for him, due to his overly fast play which leads to turnovers and poor shots. But I also don't see anyone other than maybe Bridges being able to fill that role. But I am not ready to give up on JJ and hand it over to Bridges yet. JJ has really been the only one willing and able to get Ayton the ball on pick and roles, this is due to his speed.

I do agree a better PG would be the ideal resolution, this would allow JJ to go back to the slasher/cutter role. Also getting more consistent 3pt shooter in for Anderson with the starting line is key.
I understand that we have limited options for play-makers on the team and that is forcing JJ to play more of a full time guard role, but it is still a large part of the reason that he has looked really bad this year. He is quite simply being asked to do things that he is just not ready to do full time at the NBA level. Even when Booker is playing JJ is still playing essentially the same role off the bench. We need to unleash Okobo and Melton IMO and keep JJ off the ball much more often.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
2nd Qtr observation:

- Memphis went on a run in the first few minutes to put this one out of reach.

- Okobo is not ready yet, needs to get stronger and learn where to be on offense without the ball.

- I like Crawford, playing the Booker/Ball handler/scorer role with the second team and possibly playing the starting PG role. Although we might need him with the second unit.

- Bridges is not ready, which is fine. He is lost on D rotations and not confident in his shot yet.

- Ayton is by far further along than most rookie bigs that have come into this league. He really is not play like a rookie. This kid is can be legendary.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Looking back we should of taken Fox instead of JJ . I'm convinced he will not be a star just a role player. Bender....Len...JJ all these high picks with not even one a difference maker.

I posted less in this forum back then, but I liked Tatum more than JJ because Tatum demonstrated real basketball skill.

Personally I hate drafting any player with a high pick who hasn't shown real skills. Jackson is an athlete who has an ugly shot. At the end of the day, basketball will always be about who can make shots, and JJ struggles with this.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I posted less in this forum back then, but I liked Tatum more than JJ because Tatum demonstrated real basketball skill.

Personally I hate drafting any player with a high pick who hasn't shown real skills. Jackson is an athlete who has an ugly shot. At the end of the day, basketball will always be about who can make shots, and JJ struggles with this.
Who can make shots AND who can stop the other team from making shots. It is also about guys that get good looks for their teammates with good passing. There is a lot more to the game than just being the guy that makes shots, though that is the "sexy" part of the game to be good at.

Not that JJ is better at those things than Tatum. I just feel like that was a very flawed statement.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was a fan of Fox but looking back the Suns should have drafted Mitchell or Markkanen. :wink2:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to sending him to the G-League to let him get his confidence back. He should dominate there and make it clear to him that he won't return until he is dominating in the G-League. That may end up like Summer League but I think he'll get it together quicker.

i agree with the concept. Josh is a leader and has the desire and physical attributes without the refined skills and he needs an environment to work it out in.

It's also a shame to waste Bender's attributes -- an ideal big-man body, smooth stroke, good agility. He also needs a workspace. The problem is, Bender didn't respond despite plenty of workspace last season. At least Josh did in the 2nd half.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen