Suns @ Grizzlies 10-27-18

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Are you talking about the OKC game? We were down by 20 for most of the night. It wasn't until a late 4th quarter run against OKC third stringers that we closed to 7 at the buzzer. I would not take solace in that.
I will take solace that we avoided this

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Couldn't watch the game tonight and have not had a chance to read the thread yet. I can't believe I am happy about not losing by 20, and the fact that a pg led the team in assists.

Ball movement doesn't seem to be an issue. We're 4th in the league in assists right now, which is a huge improvement. We need more finishers without Booker healthy and we need to play better defense. Our offense isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, it's our defense that needs a lot of work though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you talking about the OKC game? We were down by 20 for most of the night. It wasn't until a late 4th quarter run against OKC third stringers that we closed to 7 at the buzzer. I would not take solace in that.
Sorry. was posting in the wrong game thread.

Like I said, I did not get a chance to watch the game, and did not get to read the game thread. So I could only see the box score.

Based purely on stats, Okobo had the best pg showing of the season so far. Again, just box score.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As bad as things seem to be, there is hope here.

Booker looks good.
Ayton looks fantastic.
Warren has a three point shot, but I was not happy with his pouting in Memphis.
Mikal looks like the real deal. We are just getting solid, smart play from him whenever he plays.
Okobo even showed us some hope.

The negatives are Ariza, Anderson, and Jackson primarily. Anderson and Ariza will be gone by next summer and while my patience is running thin with Jackson, he does have talent.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well this feels vaguely familiar.... :(

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Speaking of which, did you see the ridiculous underhand shot he made against the Wizards a few days ago?
Is this the one you're talking about? It was pre game vs the Wizards.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the one you're talking about? It was pre game vs the Wizards.

No, he actually made the shot I'm talking about and it was definitely during game action. The whistle blew before he put it up and it was similar to the one in that video (without the bounce) but it was from a few feet further out IIRC. I've watched so much basketball in the last few weeks that they all seem to blur together but I'm pretty sure I have this correct.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
No, he actually made the shot I'm talking about and it was definitely during game action. The whistle blew before he put it up and it was similar to the one in that video (without the bounce) but it was from a few feet further out IIRC. I've watched so much basketball in the last few weeks that they all seem to blur together but I'm pretty sure I have this correct.
You do.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/10/2...ded-shot-sky-high-after-whistle-and-makes-it/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think Jackson is going to eventually become on helluva player... but he needs a shorter leash right now. He is routinely throwing away 2 or 3 possessions over the course of a few minutes, he's gotta get yanked and given a "let's talk about why you're in timeout" discussion after that nonsense.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ball movement doesn't seem to be an issue. We're 4th in the league in assists right now, which is a huge improvement. We need more finishers without Booker healthy and we need to play better defense. Our offense isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, it's our defense that needs a lot of work though.
Not only that, but we are by far #1 in points scored from assists (69.7% -
). Imagine if Ariza and Andersen and Jackson could actually shoot. We wouldn't be having many of the conversations that are going on right now. Now imagine cutting the TOs in half. Then imagine not getting lost on defense. Championship!!!! ;)

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still think Jackson is going to eventually become on helluva player... but he needs a shorter leash right now. He is routinely throwing away 2 or 3 possessions over the course of a few minutes, he's gotta get yanked and given a "let's talk about why you're in timeout" discussion after that nonsense.
This is why I don't like the talk of "Coach should be giving so and so all the minutes". Normally, that so and so is a rookie. Jackson got too much time last year that was undeserved. He had some flashes and probably figured that was how he was supposed to play. The team is regretting that now. I favor the earn minutes slowly process. Play with limited minutes, get corrected, experience and improve, and get more minutes.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not only that, but we are by far #1 in points scored from assists (69.7% -
). Imagine if Ariza and Andersen and Jackson could actually shoot. We wouldn't be having many of the conversations that are going on right now. Now imagine cutting the TOs in half. Then imagine not getting lost on defense. Championship!!!! ;)

at the cost of an insane amount of turnovers

not sure if that is a good thing

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
at the cost of an insane amount of turnovers

not sure if that is a good thing
Wait, are you correlating assist attempts with dribbling the ball out of bounds, travelling, stepping out of bounds, offensive fouls, etc? I get that a few of the TOs per game are from trying a pass that shouldn't have been tried, and that needs to be cleaned up, but I don't think that the scheme is determining the TO rate.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah there are some forced and non-forced turnovers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you are quite optimistic. If he cannot watch his own film and see what an out-of-control players he is at the moment, then he just doesn't even understand basketball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you are quite optimistic. If he cannot watch his own film and see what an out-of-control players he is at the moment, then he just doesn't even understand basketball.
I’m unsure the players watch a lot of film inseason.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think he just happy we didn’t accomplish another terrible stat by losing by 18+ again.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think he just happy we didn’t accomplish another terrible stat by losing by 18+ again.
When I saw we narrowly avoided the stat of being the first team to do it 5 straight games in 48 years, I didn't blame him. My point was just that the final score didn't represent our deficit most of the game.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Watching, and early on JJ is playing Westbrook VERY well.