Suns free agency recap and going forward

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Young, but I can't figure out what the Suns can trade to get him. Nobody is taking Saric and Smith, even for free. Suns have no picks left to trade either.
Saric would be a throw in for salary match. They can get a disabled player exception and his salary is probably covered by insurance.
So then it's picks and a player. Stix or maybe Shamet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric would be a throw in for salary match. They can get a disabled player exception and his salary is probably covered by insurance.
So then it's picks and a player. Stix or maybe Shamet.

I don't think it works that way for the team he's traded to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read that Disabled Player Exceptions are rarely used because they are complicated but here is how they work:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah that's the point I was responding to. I could be wrong but my understanding has always been that the exception is only available to the team that has his rights when the injury is discovered.
I vaguely remember something like that being true.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember something like that being true.
I didn't see it at the time I responded but Mainstreet posted an analysis from RealGM of the Disabled Players Exception prior to my comment. After reading it, I'm more confused than I was before. I still believe the next team can't use the TPE on a player they knew was injured prior to the trade but I'm not quite as sure as I had been.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it at the time I responded but Mainstreet posted an analysis from RealGM of the Disabled Players Exception prior to my comment. After reading it, I'm more confused than I was before. I still believe the next team can't use the TPE on a player they knew was injured prior to the trade but I'm not quite as sure as I had been.

This is probably why it's rarely used... because it's complicated. I was mostly interested if it would allow the Suns to add a player beyond the 15 man roster. It doesn't and of course the exceptions can't be combined.

The Suns have the remainder of the MLE, the BAE and minimum contracts to fill the roster so they should be fine.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last official signing I can remember is Abdel Nader along with Chris Paul and Cam Payne. Landry Shamet was a trade and is also official.

Maybe I don't like loose ends but I would still like to know when players are signed officially.

There is nothing official that I'm aware of on JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky or Elfrid Payton.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Steve is right. You can’t get an injury exemption for a player you knew was hurt when you got him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Frank Kaminsky signing is official.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Steve is right. You can’t get an injury exemption for a player you knew was hurt when you got him.
So does that mean that if you get an injury exemption for a player, you cannot trade him? I know it's a tangential question.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does that mean that if you get an injury exemption for a player, you cannot trade him? I know it's a tangential question.
If you mean, can they use the DPE and also trade him or if they can trade him along with the DPE, I'm pretty sure the answer is NO on both of them.

The DPE really doesn't have a lot of value because of all it's restrictions and limitations, that's why it's often not applied for and even once received, the team lets it lapse more often than not.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Elfrid Payton and JaVale McGee signings have yet to be made OFFICIAL so we should receive confirmation from the Suns when it happens.

There shouldn't be any complications if the players have passed their physicals.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Elfrid Payton signing was the only one I was unsure would happen.

Once JaVale McGee and Elfrid Payton officially sign the Suns roster will have 14 players.

It will look like this:

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne, Elfrid Payton

SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet

SF: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdel Nader

PF: Jae Crowder, Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)

C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky

The Suns will still have the partial MLE and BAE to use which will allow them to add a 15th player later on or possibly make another move later in the season.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Elfrid Payton signing was the only one I was unsure would happen.

Once JaVale McGee and Elfrid Payton officially sign the Suns roster will have 14 players.

It will look like this this:

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne, Elfrid Payton

SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet

SF: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdel Nader

PF: Jae Crowder, Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)

C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky

The Suns will still have the partial MLE and BAE to use which will allow them to add a 15th player later on or possibly make another move later in the season.

It's clear the Suns are banking on improvement coming internally from the continued development of Ayton, Bridges, Johnson and hopefully Smith rather than any external additions. They probably think continuity adds to that development of our young core.

I like the additions of McGee and Shamet, but our offseason moves in totality lack a sense of urgency to maximize our current window with CP3 in my opinion.

Perhaps management's measured moves will be vindicated or an all-in move could come later after some assessment. We'll just have to see.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's clear the Suns are banking on improvement coming internally from the continued development of Ayton, Bridges, Johnson and hopefully Smith rather than any external additions. They probably think continuity adds to that development of our young core.

I like the additions of McGee and Shamet, but our offseason moves in totality lack a sense of urgency to maximize our current window with CP3 in my opinion.

Perhaps management's measured moves will be vindicated or an all-in move could come later after some assessment. We'll just have to see.

I think the Suns will add a power forward when the right deal and player comes along. As the money dries up that partial MLE and BAE will look bigger and bigger.

Anyway, it's not like the Suns are looking for a starter with the 15th spot. They are looking for a role player to back up Crowder. I don't think Stix is near ready to be that player.

James Jones is playing those exceptions like a violin this season. He has learned.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we had some luck to make our run in the playoffs but we still finished with the 2nd best record in the league. I can totally understand James Jones goals for this offseason as far as adding some depth and hope for continued improvement from our young core.

The Suns didn't really need to make moves to get better than most teams, we were the #2 team in the league, other teams need to make moves to get past us. I think we got better than Utah, who is the only team that had a better record than us, and if we had McGee or Saric then we're likely the defending champs.

We're better at C, SF, SG, and PG compared to last season. If Stix gives us anything then we're better at PF as well. I don't believe we got worse at any position.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like the Payton signing. That gives us another guy that drives to the basket.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know we had some luck to make our run in the playoffs but we still finished with the 2nd best record in the league. I can totally understand James Jones goals for this offseason as far as adding some depth and hope for continued improvement from our young core.

The Suns didn't really need to make moves to get better than most teams, we were the #2 team in the league, other teams need to make moves to get past us. I think we got better than Utah, who is the only team that had a better record than us, and if we had McGee or Saric then we're likely the defending champs.

We're better at C, SF, SG, and PG compared to last season. If Stix gives us anything then we're better at PF as well. I don't believe we got worse at any position.
SF? Does Nader provide the defense and intensity that Craig had?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF? Does Nader provide the defense and intensity that Craig had?

It's not really between Torrey Craig and Abdel Nader. Craig played a lot of power forward and small ball center for the Suns. They only acquired him in March. I'd look who the Suns find to back up Crowder for a more fair assessment.