Suns free agency recap and going forward

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah.

I mean, I'd take Payton over Carter any day.
I go back and forth on Carter. He came with great defensive intensity and eventually improved his three ball. But what I saw as I watched more of him was a lot of frenetic action that rarely did anything. He would dribble all over a three foot area, going between the legs and just literally go nowhere. Useless if it wasn’t an open catch and shoot or wide open lane to drive. And defensively he hustled all over but it never seemed to result in a turnover or truly bother anyone he was guarding. I think his rep for defense faaaaarrrrr exceeded the reality of it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We may disagree about Payton but do you have any power forward candidates who you like who haven't agree to sign?
I like this guy (courtesy of Reddit) as a 2 way player with some upside. Dude's got tree trunks for legs and some explosiveness.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the Milsap camp, sad to see gambo say it won’t happen.

I was ready for Millsap. He puts up solid numbers and no one takes the ball away from him under the basket.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Folster

Also take a look at Tyrique Jones who is on the Suns Las Vegas Summer League roster.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Eh, Payton is fine for your third PG. They need to have a third point guard. Looks like the roster is pretty much set at this point if Payton accepts the offer. I was hoping for a bigger PF, but at least they got a big backup at 5. Suns really looked off without Ayton when your two other options were small and/or less than athletic. I think you can get away with an undersized or slow/ not athletic PF if your center is massive, so they took care of the biggest need, missed out somewhat on the second biggest need, and took care of the third need (actual backup SG).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, Payton is fine for your third PG. They need to have a third point guard. Looks like the roster is pretty much set at this point if Payton accepts the offer. I was hoping for a bigger PF, but at least they got a big backup at 5. Suns really looked off without Ayton when your two other options were small and/or less than athletic. I think you can get away with an undersized or slow/ not athletic PF if your center is massive, so they took care of the biggest need, missed out somewhat on the second biggest need, and took care of the third need (actual backup SG).

At this point, one could argue the Suns are improved at point guard, shooting guard and center.

Thus far they have less depth at power forward and they are about the same at small forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it free agent signings can be made official on Friday August 6 at 12:01 p.m. ET. which would be 9:01 a.m. Arizona time.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of Payton in general, but he did start 63 games for the 4th seed in the eastern conference and now he is our 3rd pg on the veterans minimum. If nothing else he can be the guy we cut when we need a roster space for a veteran buyout. I see no real downside to the signing.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, Knicks fans are happy to see Payton go. Seems to be the overwhelming opinion. With that said, there's a world of difference in expectations as a starter vs 3rd string.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Folster

Also take a look at Tyrique Jones who is on the Suns Las Vegas Summer League roster.

Look I know it's only the Summer league but his numbers gotten better 4 years running for points and rebounds. In many ways he looks ahead of Stix.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look I know it's only the Summer league but his numbers gotten better 4 years running for points and rebounds. In many ways he looks ahead of Stix.

I still get excited when summer league rolls around. It's so much fun to watch these players fight for a job and try to figure out who are the future NBA gems.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
So when will Elfrid Payton play? Not in the playoffs I guess, so it's just the regular season in garbage minutes or in case of resting players or injuries. I prefer him over Galloway (as a point guard) as long as we have enough fire power and energy from the bench to surround him. As a scorer and general basketball player I'd rather play Galloway I think, but to just control the ball and run plays and not be a defensive liability, Payton is fine.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still get excited when summer league rolls around. It's so much fun to watch these players fight for a job and try to figure out who are the future NBA gems.

This is when I miss having some 2nd rounders also. Seeing those guys put in featured roles to see what they can do and if they'll pan out was more fun than seeing whether our 1st round picks would actually be able to contribute right away.

I like watching the 1st round players there also but it varies more with them. They're guaranteed spots and most of the fans here have a familiarity with them so we know what to expect or look for, to a certain extent. Either way though they'll be on the teams.

I guess I prefer seeing the 2nd rounders there because they're who have the best chance of making the squad and doing something with fewer expectations.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when will Elfrid Payton play? Not in the playoffs I guess, so it's just the regular season in garbage minutes or in case of resting players or injuries. I prefer him over Galloway (as a point guard) as long as we have enough fire power and energy from the bench to surround him. As a scorer and general basketball player I'd rather play Galloway I think, but to just control the ball and run plays and not be a defensive liability, Payton is fine.

There may be times when the Suns may need to rest Chris Paul for whatever reason. It would be nice to know that Cam Payne and Elfrid Payton can handle point guard duties in his absence with having to overload point Booker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We shouldn't see Payton unless there's an injury. I like having him as our 3rd PG more than Etwaun Moore since he's an actual PG and pretty decent playmaker. I think having Monty and Chris Paul to coach him up can only help also. We don't need him to score, we need him to get our other players scoring. If he can do that in New York then he can do that here. He won't see a lot of time either.

Not that I dislike Point Book but Payton ensures Booker can stay at SG full time. Booker can still set guys up there, as we saw last year, but it won't be his responsibility to do so. Payton will make it easier for him to play the same regardless of who he's paired with in the backcourt.

Payton was a really good defensive PG in college also. He hasn't been in the NBA but he's been average, or close to that. Maybe Monty can tap into that and get him playing some good D here as well. He has good size for a PG, which helps.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is when I miss having some 2nd rounders also. Seeing those guys put in featured roles to see what they can do and if they'll pan out was more fun than seeing whether our 1st round picks would actually be able to contribute right away.

I like watching the 1st round players there also but it varies more with them. They're guaranteed spots and most of the fans here have a familiarity with them so we know what to expect or look for, to a certain extent. Either way though they'll be on the teams.

I guess I prefer seeing the 2nd rounders there because they're who have the best chance of making the squad and doing something with fewer expectations.

Years ago the Suns used to let fans attend player workouts before summer league. I used to attend these. They were some of the most enjoyable moments of my life. It's when I began to fully appreciate the Suns and the beauty of the game even when the final score didn't count. I wanted every player to make the team because you could see the effort by these players. It was so much fun trying to pick out the hidden gems... those players that were drafted late or undrafted players.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Maybe we can sign that a**hat clown Dellavadova to be our little enforcer? He's certainly dirty enough to accidentally injure guys just like Pat Beverly has a tendency to do. Or bring Bruce Bowen out of retirement.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns have offered Elfrid Payton the one year veteran minimum. I hope he accepts it.

Ugh. This guy is really nothing but a ball handler. I know he will be third string but this is still depressing to me, think I would like Etwan over him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. This guy is really nothing but a ball handler. I know he will be third string but this is still depressing to me, think I would like Etwan over him.

In a backhanded way calling Payton a ball handler is a compliment because he can be very good at this.

Moore, Galloway and Carter were not good at running the team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like the signing but given it's as the 3rd guard and at the minimum, I'm not sure he'll actually take the deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like the signing but given it's as the 3rd guard and at the minimum, I'm not sure he'll actually take the deal.

Payton would have to feel he will be allowed to showcase his talent for a future contract because his value is more than the minimum.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton would have to feel he will be allowed to showcase his talent for a future contract because his value is more than the minimum.

I think his best bet is signing somewhere as a backup because that's likely to be what he is going forward. He got lucky that Thib's used him as a starter like he was last season. Derrick Rose has settled into a solid 6th man role so starting Payton and splitting minutes with Rose helped hide a lot of his shortcomings.

Of course he'll be further down the bench here and won't see as many games here but how Monty started Moore might help Payton see he has the chance to start when Paul rests so Cam Payne can stay focused in his role as super sub, similar to Rose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his best bet is signing somewhere as a backup because that's likely to be what he is going forward. He got lucky that Thib's used him as a starter like he was last season. Derrick Rose has settled into a solid 6th man role so starting Payton and splitting minutes with Rose helped hide a lot of his shortcomings.

Of course he'll be further down the bench here and won't see as many games here but how Monty started Moore might help Payton see he has the chance to start when Paul rests so Cam Payne can stay focused in his role as super sub, similar to Rose.

I think the Suns would have to sell Payton and his agent he would have a role with the team much like Moore had the opportunity as you mentioned. If Monty trusts a player, he will get playing time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA