Suns free agency recap and going forward

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ish went elsewhere. Galloway is not a point guard. I really liked Payton as a player but I thought there were other issues going on when he was a Sun. If those are resolved I like him as a third point guard.

I hated his hair. He actually missed a shot or two early in his career as a result of his hair. I was surprised by his playmaking instincts though. I remember his first couple games, his shot was falling and we all got excited. But then he reverted to the mean.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated his hair. He actually missed a shot or two early in his career as a result of his hair. I was surprised by his playmaking instincts though. I remember his first couple games, his shot was falling and we all got excited. But then he reverted to the mean.

The hair did seem to be an issue with his shot but I really liked Payton's ability to penetrate the lane and make defenses collapse. Maybe this is what the Suns are looking at as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hair did seem to be an issue with his shot but I really liked Payton's ability to penetrate the lane and make defenses collapse. Maybe this is what the Suns are looking at as well.

Yeah I like the signing too. If we get the Payton that played for the Knicks we're probably not going to be too happy but I believe Monty will use him correctly. And as a backup to the backup, he's more than worth the risk IMO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s an odd player he gets a lot of triple doubles and looks amazing one minute and then the next it’s like he doesn’t know how to play basketball.

but we aren’t counting on him to be a starter not even a back up. He’s about as quality a #3 PG as your gonna find in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have offered Elfrid Payton the one year veteran minimum. I hope he accepts it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The veteran minimum for Elfrid Payton is $2,174,318 as I understand it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like finding someone worse than him would be the real challenge.

I'd rather have Galloway, Ish Smith... I mean... the list of guys I would put above Payton is basically limitless.

3rd string point guards are going to have flaws. Guards with shooting, playmaking, and defense aren't available for the minimum salary.

We had two shooters and a defender last year as guard depth and they were okay at times, but now we have Landry who replaces Moore and Galloway and it seems we've opted for a playmaker in Payton over a defensive pest in Carter.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns have offered Elfrid Payton the one year veteran minimum. I hope he accepts it.

If that's the case, we'll still have a little less than half of the MLE.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, we'll still have a little less than half of the MLE.

I thought the Suns had the partial MLE, also BAE, hopefully future DPE for Saric and could sign minimum players without tapping into these funds.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the Suns had the partial MLE and BAE (hopefully future DPE for Saric) and could sign minimum players without tapping into these funds.

Yes. It makes sense to use up all of the MLE first though since we only have the BAE every other year. I think they'll sit on the DPE hoping for an opportunity during the season. There might be an underperforming tax team than needs to cut salary.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It makes sense to use up all of the MLE first though since we only have the BAE every other year. I think they'll sit on the DPE hoping for an opportunity during the season. There might be an underperforming tax team than needs to cut salary.

This is interesting. The Suns have to use BAE this season. It looks like they wil still have partial MLE remaining if Payton signs minimum.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3rd string point guards are going to have flaws. Guards with shooting, playmaking, and defense aren't available for the minimum salary.

We had two shooters and a defender last year as guard depth and they were okay at times, but now we have Landry who replaces Moore and Galloway and it seems we've opted for a playmaker in Payton over a defensive pest in Carter.
I’ve said my stance, I don’t need to beat a dead horse, but to me he is beyond flawed, he is a 10 point opposition run. I’d give an endless list of G league guys a look over someone I view as totally unplayable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro does not see Millsap as an option.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is interesting. The Suns have to use BAE this season. It looks like they wil still have partial MLE remaining if Payton signs minimum.

do we have to use the BAE to sign someone before the season starts?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns will hold some funds back for future options.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve said my stance, I don’t need to beat a dead horse, but to me he is beyond flawed, he is a 10 point opposition run. I’d give an endless list of G league guys a look over someone I view as totally unplayable.

We may disagree about Payton but do you have any power forward candidates who you like who haven't agree to sign?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ish went elsewhere. Galloway is not a point guard. I really liked Payton as a player but I thought there were other issues going on when he was a Sun. If those are resolved I like him as a third point guard.
He got the haircut. I’m good.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I swear we’ve got a ton of posters who don’t understand that backups are typically worse than starters and third stringers are usually even worse yet . . . weird.
Again, to me he is more along the lines of “accidental saboteur”, not merely bad, but it’s like being 4 on 6.

But I will hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA