Suns fire McD

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Gambo is saying that McD wanted to trade up for SGA, but he was overruled and they took Bridges instead.

He is also giving indication that the Crawford signing was against Igor’s wishes and that he wanted to keep Shaq.

So. Who is making these decisions? Is Sarver doing this?

I think Jones is the most likely candidate if someone is making decisions behind the scene. Trading up for Shai made more sense to me as the Suns needed a point guard. This was the trade I thought the Suns were working on during the draft.

I didn't like the idea of trading the future Miami pick but if the Suns were going to trade it, they should have filled a position of need.

I'm not sure what Crawford adds to the team long term. The Suns could have used Shaq's defense. He was always a specialty player in my mind.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem was that as of Preseason, Shaq had stopped playing defense, which rendered him useless. I am very concerned about our coaching if Igor wanted him on the roster notwithstanding that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Jones is the most likely candidate if someone is making decisions behind the scene. Trading up for Shai made more sense to me as the Suns needed a point guard. This was the trade I thought the Suns were working on during the draft.

I didn't like the idea of trading the future Miami pick but if the Suns were going to trade it, they should have filled a position of need.

I'm not sure what Crawford adds to the team long term. The Suns could have used Shaq's defense. He was always a specialty player in my mind.

You think McD... got overruled by his junior in making a trade that big on draft day? That doesn't seem likely to me. That feels like a decision that comes from someone above McD, not below him, i.e. Sarver.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think McD... got overruled by his junior in making a trade that big on draft day? That doesn't seem likely to me. That feels like a decision that comes from someone above McD, not below him, i.e. Sarver.

I suspect Jones may have very similar views to Sarver and this may be the reason he was brought on board. It's beginning to look this way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect Jones may have very similar views to Sarver and this may be the reason he was brought on board. It's beginning to look this way.

I don't know, depending on my mood it "looks" like any number of things. It could be as you say but I don't see any reason for that possibility to necessarily be the winning one. It's possible that Jones had more power all along and he helped orchestrate Ryan's exit. Or maybe this is all smoke and it's just Sarver thinking he's learned enough since his last GM'ing debacle to take the reins now. Or Gambo could be grasping at straws with all his "inside" info. And, so on.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Maybe we're all destined to live out the rest of our lives as unfulfilled Suns fans thanks to Mr. Robert A. Sarver.

(It's possible we're all intertwined in a really bad Twilight Zone episode.)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we're all destined to live out the rest of our lives as unfulfilled Suns fans thanks to Mr. Robert A. Sarver.

I think I am going to throw up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it feels more like the Earwig episode of Night Gallery (The Caterpillar, written by Rod Serling of course). Although in that show, the pain will eventually end when the newly hatched earwigs eat their way through the brain. Either way, in real life or the show, we'll be left brain dead eventually.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If all this is true, it is McD that was pushing for a balanced roster and he was thwarted by someone else in the organization. I would imagine that he was fired because he made his displeasure known. This is one of my concerns about firing McD. This could more easily get worse than better.

Also, are we seeking a pattern? Players and former players don't seem to be good judges of talent, notably of veteran players. They tend to value vets far beyond their useful shelf life, especially if they are "good guys."

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If all this is true, it is McD that was pushing for a balanced roster and he was thwarted by someone else in the organization. I would imagine that he was fired because he made his displeasure known. This is one of my concerns about firing McD. This could more easily get worse than better.

Also, are we seeking a pattern? Players and former players don't seem to be good judges of talent, notably of veteran players. They tend to value vets far beyond their useful shelf life, especially if they are "good guys."
I would believe that McD was going for a balanced roster much easier if he didn't have a history of putting together unbalanced rosters. Every year that McD was here we were heavily imbalanced at one spot or another.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Crawford is 190 years old. There is no long term with him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would believe that McD was going for a balanced roster much easier if he didn't have a history of putting together unbalanced rosters. Every year that McD was here we were heavily imbalanced at one spot or another.

Sarver has been saying since Babby was here that he learned his lesson and was no longer making these kind of decisions. If it's true that Sarver is lying now about meddling (as many suggest), what's to say he wasn't lying all along? IOW, maybe he's the one that insisted on signing IT and so on? I don't know that I believe it but it's difficult to rule it out.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver has been saying since Babby was here that he learned his lesson and was no longer making these kind of decisions. If it's true that Sarver is lying now about meddling (as many suggest), what's to say he wasn't lying all along? IOW, maybe he's the one that insisted on signing IT and so on? I don't know that I believe it but it's difficult to rule it out.
Its all speculation. If someone overruled the GM in the last draft with Bridges over SGA, then that is worth figuring out. The only person that could, I would think, is Sarver--unless its McD out there some place blowing smoke at Gambo.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Its all speculation. If someone overruled the GM in the last draft with Bridges over SGA, then that is worth figuring out. The only person that could, I would think, is Sarver--unless its McD out there some place blowing smoke at Gambo.

And see, that's the one I wouldn't even be mad about. Say they had Bridges #5 on their board, and SGA at 9 (pulling random numbers out of a hat here), and Bridges became available. With a minute or two to decide... I'll be damned if I wouldn't have done the same thing, especially if the majority disagrees with the GM.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think it feels more like the Earwig episode of Night Gallery (The Caterpillar, written by Rod Serling of course). Although in that show, the pain will eventually end when the newly hatched earwigs eat their way through the brain. Either way, in real life or the show, we'll be left brain dead eventually.
That's how our episode ends. We're all in a group home staring mindlessly at a Suns' broadcast. Our brains long gone. Drooling from the corners of our mouths. <Fade to black>

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo was wrong on a number of things on draft day and since then he hasn't revealed anything until McD was canned about the Suns making a deal for a PG. I don't buy the story that McD wasn't able to trade for SGA, it doesn't make sense and the person reporting it has a terrible track record in regards to his draft coverage this year already. It's like he hopes everyone forgot how he reported trades that didn't happen and picks that weren't made.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Gambo was wrong on a number of things on draft day and since then he hasn't revealed anything until McD was canned about the Suns making a deal for a PG. I don't buy the story that McD wasn't able to trade for SGA, it doesn't make sense and the person reporting it has a terrible track record in regards to his draft coverage this year already. It's like he hopes everyone forgot how he reported trades that didn't happen and picks that weren't made.
There is no accountability in America anymore. You just throw crap against the wall and if it doesn’t stick you gaslight and throw new crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There is no accountability in America anymore. You just throw crap against the wall and if it doesn’t stick you gaslight and throw new crap.

Although I agree with you, I don't think it's a new phenomenon. I'm reminded of CEOs who run successful businesses into the ground, get fired with golden parachutes, and then immediately get hired for megabucks by someone else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, depending on my mood it "looks" like any number of things. It could be as you say but I don't see any reason for that possibility to necessarily be the winning one. It's possible that Jones had more power all along and he helped orchestrate Ryan's exit. Or maybe this is all smoke and it's just Sarver thinking he's learned enough since his last GM'ing debacle to take the reins now. Or Gambo could be grasping at straws with all his "inside" info. And, so on.

I can see the Gambo thing (grasping at straws) but most of the time there is an element of truth to what he says. However, I don't think he has the inside information he used to have.

If McDonough wanted to move up to draft Shai, this lessons my criticism of him a tad. I think trading for a point guard would have been the right thing to do. This would fit on how I viewed the Suns draft should play out.

All I can say about Jones... it was very convenient. I can see Sarver bringing in someone who would be his mouthpiece.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad to learn that Igor wanted Harrison over Crawford. Yes, Shaq's D had turned to crap in the preseason but the ability was there, he just needed to be convinced it was his in his best interest to bust his butt defending.

The FO is probably worse off for McD's firing, but he was no great shakes. The only reason I didn't want him fired was that Sarver would fill the vacancy and we'd probably get a GM that was more of toady. It's not established that James Jones is that but bringing in Crawford looks like a ghastly first move. On the other hand, if Bridges was his idea that could be a real winner. It also, could not be, but I like it so far.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad to learn that Igor wanted Harrison over Crawford. Yes, Shaq's D had turned to crap in the preseason but the ability was there, he just needed to be convinced it was his in his best interest to bust his butt defending.

The FO is probably worse off for McD's firing, but he was no great shakes. The only reason I didn't want him fired was that Sarver would fill the vacancy and we'd probably get a GM that was more of toady. It's not established that James Jones is that but bringing in Crawford looks like a ghastly first move. On the other hand, if Bridges was his idea that could be a real winner. It also, could not be, but I like it so far.

I think the guards that are accustomed to getting right up on their opponents are having trouble adjusting to the new rules. I suspect Shaq will return to his prior ways in time especially since refs tend to slack up a little on these types of calls after the first month or so. But a month from now Crawford will still be a one-way over the hill nice guy.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Where did you learn this? I hadn't heard this before and am curious.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
All of the posts on these past few pages raise good questions and offer plausible opinions.

Is it fair to say that whether Sarver overrode his General Managers . . . or hired unproven "yes" men as GM . . . it all comes down to Sarver? With another one, Jones, next in line.

Look at our roster. Two potential all-stars, a potential 6th man of the year . . . and one player who looks like he should be a developing third starter, but has shown no progress.

And the rest a bunch of drek, putting pressure on our only three potentially skilled players to carry the next six in the rotation who are sub-par, especially by NBA standards.

Please re-read my second sentence. How can we help but think, "Is it any wonder?"

And then, "How many years is it going to take to change it? Make that decades if Robert Sarver keeps doing what he's been doing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard