Suns fire McD

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adios McD, reports by Shams Charania are that the Suns have fired McD. I guess the failure to build a cohesive roster finally caught up to him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I like the move, but wowwwwwww. The timing is strange.

Perhaps the failure to get a decent PG was his death sentence.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He was just terrrrrrrrrrrrrible infront of a camera and had no People Management Skills

Awful timing after the Bridges and Anderson trade

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dudley seems to be questioning the move.

Woj has tweeted the news also now. Here is a tweet by a Suns "Insider" account that covers the team but doesn't break much of anything, they're quoting Shams.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here we go. Five more years breaking in a rookie GM. Only explanation is that he was at odds with the owner over something.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Should have happened a long time ago. My guess is that Kokoskov had enough with the point guard situation and as others noted voiced his discontent internally, and that was the last straw.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the move, but wowwwwwww. The timing is strange.

Perhaps the failure to get a decent PG was his death sentence.

I think the PG fiasco combined with not being able to justify the failure of the 2016 draft. The timing is strange but if James Jones takes over, I'm ok with it. I'm not sure what Jones has done but one of the reasons I would like that is the odds of Jones wanting to ditch Kokoskov for his own guy would seem unlikely. He may not have played a big role in signing Igor but surely he was part of the process and gave his stamp of approval to it, whether that's who he wanted or not. He seemed to get along with Igor well in all public outings where they've been together.

I think the 2016 draft will haunt McD's tenure and his recent repeat of trading assets for a second lottery pick to grab Bridges was probably something he couldn't spin that differently than the Chriss move. It looks the same, on paper, he traded assets to move up and grab a second player he's convinced will be worth it but that player, Bridges, didn't fill a need. There was no real reason to do that move other than really liking Bridges. If he made the same move to draft SGA, perhaps he still has a job but Bridges as a wing being added didn't make a ton of sense. Then when he signed Ariza that trade made less sense. Imagine what that Miami pick could have done with Chriss in a trade for a PG? Maybe we just stretch Knight now to make a little more cap room for that other PG.

I don't think this draft will end up being like that Bender/Chriss draft but it appears similar and all we really have to go on is Bridges scouting report as to why that deal was made. Like I said, it was unnecessary though. Perhaps another deal was in the works at the time for a PG or to clear up the logjam he created but that falling through counts against McD also.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Good riddance

- Bledsoe management
- Bender pick
- Jackson pick looks questionable
- Bridges trade looks questionable
- PG situation was obvious in June but he got nobody not even Jeremy Lin

Though I think the draft history is more damning to the scouting staff than McD.

David Griffin is free.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woj said that teams have been demanding unprotected first round picks in our pursuit of a pg. Won't be long now and we will be trading away our future for a Kemba rental.

Sarver is the virtual GM right now. Remember how that worked last time?

1Sun=Sarver

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Good riddance

- Bledsoe management
- Bender pick

Though I think the draft history is more damning to the scouting staff than McD.

David Griffin is free.

Thats the first thought when I recieved the Suns text on McDummies firing.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Last year they fired the HC after going through the whole off season. Now it is the GM's turn this year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Guess McDonough would not sacrifice picks and future capspace for someone like Dragic.

Sarver on the other hand.........

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Guess McDonough would not sacrifice picks and future capspace for someone like Dragic.

Sarver on the other hand.........
Thats true too. Saver and Dragic do have close friendship and I could imagine Goran saying he wouldnt come back to the Suns if McD was still there? One can only dream!

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woj said that teams have been demanding unprotected first round picks in our pursuit of a pg. Won't be long now and we will be trading away our future for a Kemba rental.

1Sun=Sarver

Sarver is not the "virtual GM". All reports are that James Jones is taking over in the interim with help from assistant GM Trevor Bukstein. Is that better than Sarver? I'd say yes, if only because it's not Sarver. That was reported right after the firing so making that claim that Sarver is the GM in anyway at the moment is premature and incorrect. It's even noted in the first tweet quoted in the initial post here.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good riddance

- Bledsoe management
- Bender pick

David Griffin is free.

Add the Chriss pick and trade to acquire the pick to that. You can like Chriss all you want, he failed here and the Suns sold very low on him. That counts against McD as much as anything else you claimed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

1Sun=Sarver

McD backing us into a corner with no point guard is what got us in the position in the first place where teams are making those demands.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1Sun=Sarver

Would be so funny if this was Sarver's burner account :biglaugh:

Like a former member of the Suns' organization.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Add the Chriss pick and trade to acquire the pick to that. You can like Chriss all you want, he failed here and the Suns sold very low on him. That counts against McD as much as anything else you claimed.
the pick still was the right pick, nobody really worth mentioning picked behind him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Sarver is not the "virtual GM". All reports are that James Jones is taking over in the interim with help from assistant GM Trevor Bukstein. Is that better than Sarver? I'd say yes, if only because it's not Sarver. That was reported right after the firing so making that claim that Sarver is the GM in anyway at the moment is premature and incorrect. It's even noted in the first tweet quoted in the initial post here.

Jones is very popular and well-respected around the league.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't followed up by a big overpay for a PG. As much as I would like to bring a good one in, I also don't want us mortgaging our future to do it.

This team has no future unless it gets a point guard.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
McD has had some big misses, but this is a terrible move that only helps to feed the (probably true) narrative that the Suns are dysfunctional at the top.

Horrible timing on this move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson